CrazyChilean
Poiyurt

Animal Testing

CrazyChilean

Pro

Animal testing is right! It has saved millions of lives. Compared to the couple of thousands of animals that die every year millions in the future will live because of the research in the medical field. If your mom/dad had cancer and the only way to save them would be to sacrifice your pet, would you?

I know I would, I would give up my family pet if a scientist came to my door and said "We need your pet to stop cancer" although I would be disappointed that my pet is gone, I will feel good that I saved a life.
Poiyurt

Con

First, I'd like to clarify that in real life, I support animal testing, but am debating this topic regardless.

Let us look at my opponent's arguments. Firstly, he states that animal testing has saved lives and will save lives, though it is not clarified whether he refers to animal or human lives. Secondly, on the point that he himself would give up his own pet to save his parents from cancer. I will be rebutting both of those points today.

Animal testing has saved millions of lives. It will save more lives than it harms in the future.
1)Animal testing is not solely conducted for scientific or medical research. Many companies conduct animal testing for cosmetic products. Disregarding the harm brought to the animals due to this, it does testing without saving people's lives. It is therefore a practice which disproves my opponent's first line of argument.

I would give up my pet to save my parents

1) Most animals used in animal testing are purpose-bred. There are 4117 Class A dealers, who sell purpose bred animals, and 7 Class B dealers. There is no point where a pet would be required.

Besides that, my opponent's example is flawed. It is not the owner's decision to decide whether the pet is sacrificed, but since that is another hot topic, I will not touch on it.

The real question he asks is if you will choose your pet or your parent. In this hypothetical situation the answer is clear for the majority. Save the parent, given that the value of a human life and of their relevance to the person in question. In real-life, however, this is not such a clear-cut question. Instead of cancer research, many animals are used for cosmetic testing, as i have already mentioned, or in testing of drugs which have counterparts on the market. There will also be more than one animal, given that a control is required.

Now, on to my points

Unecessary
Science and technology have improved to the point that we would not require animal testing. Powerful computers allow us to run simulations based on the chemical structure of the chemicals being tested. Live tissue can easily be experimented on. Even human skin could be used in these experiments.

http://www.peta.org...

Unethical

I quote PETA here: "Before their deaths, some are forced to inhale toxic fumes, others are immobilized in restraint devices for hours, some have holes drilled into their skulls, and others have their skin burned off or their spinal cords crushed. In addition to the torment of the actual experiments, animals in laboratories are deprived of everything that is natural and important to them"they are confined to barren cages, socially isolated, and psychologically traumatized. The thinking, feeling animals who are used in experiments are treated like nothing more than disposable laboratory equipment."

That pretty handily sums up that point.

Overall, I have proven to you that animal testing is unethical, unreliable, and that my opponent's arguments are false.
CrazyChilean

Pro

CrazyChilean forfeited this round.
Poiyurt

Con

Poiyurt forfeited this round.
CrazyChilean

Pro

CrazyChilean forfeited this round.
Poiyurt

Con

Cannot respond to forfeit
Posted by Poiyurt 2 years ago
Poiyurt
Hehe, sorry dude.
Posted by Romanii 2 years ago
Romanii
Holy crap, this the second debate today that I thought too long about before accepting and ended up missing out on -_-