Ketuvim
talmid

Animal rights

Ketuvim

Pro

In this debate I will express my views that animals should have rights, my first point to make here is a few scriptures,
Genesis 2:15:
"Adonai, G-d, took the person and put him in the garden of "Eden to cultivate and care for it."
Yonah 4:11
"So shouldn"t I be concerned about the great city of Ninveh, in which there are more than 120,000 people who don"t know their right hand from their left " not to mention all the animals?"

Please note:
1. G-d made humans "to take care of the garden", which includes the animals therein.

2. G-d cared about the animals being destroyed, just as he did the humans.

I await your responses.
talmid

Con

It is forbidden to show cruelty to animals, since this falls under the category of "tza'ar ba'alei chayim". However we are permitted to use animals for food and cloth, as long as they do not suffer unnecessarily.
Ketuvim

Pro

"It is forbidden to show cruelty to animals, since this falls under the category of "tza'ar ba'alei chayim". However we are permitted to use animals for food and cloth, as long as they do not suffer unnecessarily."

I was arguing that animals were not created for humans to eat/use, originally, everything was vegan, humans and animals alike ate only herbs, fruits, and vegetables. Eating meat came later on, after Adam sinned. It would logically follow, that seeing as though eating mean followed sin entering into the world, and resulted because of sin entering the world, that eating meat is a sin. A minor sin ob-course, but a sin nevertheless.
Since sin means "to miss the mark", eating meat can be considered "a sin", because G-d created humans to take care of the garden and the animals therein, not eat them. G-d initially intended for humans to be vegan, eating meat is "missing this mark", hence it is a sin.
talmid

Con

G-d did not create Adam to take care of the garden or the animals in it. The whole purpose of the garden was to eat and drink without any physical exertion. And besides, I'm not interested in what happened thousands of years ago. The point is that now, we are permitted to use animals as long as they do not suffer unnecessary pain.
Ketuvim

Pro

"G-d did not create Adam to take care of the garden or the animals in it. The whole purpose of the garden was to eat and drink without any physical exertion. And besides, I'm not interested in what happened thousands of years ago. The point is that now, we are permitted to use animals as long as they do not suffer unnecessary pain."

I know that, I challenged you to this debate to dispel the notion that animals were made for our consumption, no, tare tolerated for our consumption. Even if we are permitted to eat animals now, back then, when animals were created, they were made with no intention of being eaten.

I, on the other hand, am a vegetarian, it's much easier to keep things kosher seeing as though all the food restrictions apply to meats, with the exception of the law against gluttony.
talmid

Con

Well then I guess this has been settled. We have no apparent disagreement.
Ketuvim

Pro

Really?

Because I thought that you were arguing that animals were made for humans to eat and the Torah says it's OK to eat animals.

Whereas I was arguing that animals wee not created to be eaten and that the Torah Tolerates them being eaten.

Was not your reason for voting "Con" on "Animal Rights" in the "Big Issues" that "animals were created to be eaten?"
talmid

Con

talmid forfeited this round.
Ketuvim

Pro

Ketuvim forfeited this round.
Posted by Rami 10 months ago
Rami
Devarim is Deuteronomy. It's not even saying if you need to survive. If you desire it, then you may eat it.
Posted by harrytruman 10 months ago
harrytruman
So you mean Deuteronomy 12:20, Ok, mainly what it is saying is if you need neat to survive you are allowed to eat it.
Posted by Rami 10 months ago
Rami
Well, I suspose that's what I get for trying to type in Hebrew. The last line should read, "it was clear I was referring to the Sefer because I put the Perakim and Pauskim with it.
Posted by Rami 10 months ago
Rami
'face palm'

Deuteronomy is the English equivalent of Devarim. Devarim is used as both the name of the Sefer and the Parshahah. We don't call the Sefer 'Deuteronomy' and the Parshahah 'Devarim'. It may be used or both. It's pretty clear I was referring to 'Devarim', since I put the פרקים and פסוקים with it.
Posted by harrytruman 10 months ago
harrytruman
The Devarim is the first 3 chapters of Deuteronomy, there is no "12:20", it only goes to 3:22, have you been reading your Torah lately?
Posted by Rami 10 months ago
Rami
And by the way, there is a law (applicable only in the times of the Beis Hamikdash), that during Pesach, one must eat a ketzit of meat from the Korban Pesach. This one of the only two Miztvot Aseah (the other one is Bris Mila) that one gets Kareit for not doing it.
Posted by Rami 10 months ago
Rami
It's in Devarim 12:20.
Posted by harrytruman 10 months ago
harrytruman
It's because, he has---issues--- he needs to drink more prune juice.
Posted by Ketuvim 10 months ago
Ketuvim
Yeah, I don't know why he is acting so hostile with me, if he took this so seriously he shouldn't debate it, if he really cant help himself and whenever he sees someone with a opposing views he gets angry and rants, then he shouldn't be on debate.org, he should be on agreement.org.
Posted by harrytruman 10 months ago
harrytruman
Now remember Talmid, drink prune juice before debating, you kind of flied off the handle there.