Rhia
Xer

Animal testing is morally acceptable.

Xer

Rhia

Con

The topic for discussion is that animal testing is morally acceptable. I will be taking the 'con/against' position of the topic. I welcome anybody who wishes to debate the issue with me. I'm a beginner, however I love a challenge. The opposition may begin the debate :)
Xer

Pro

Welcome to DDO and thank you for the opportunity to debate.

==========

DEFINITIONS:

Animal testing - Animal testing is the use of non-human animals in scientific experimentation.

Morally acceptable - An action considered right or ethical.

==========

*NOTE- When I say animals during this debate, I am referring to non-human animals.

CONTENTIONS:

1) Humans have always eaten and exploited animals.
-Ever since humans (homo sapiens) have walked the Earth, we have been exploiting animals for personal gain. Hunting and farming both involve exploitations of animals and we have been doing these things forever. Since exploitation of animals is in our DNA, animal testing is morally acceptable.

2) Animals have no rights.
-Rights are something created by humans, not animals. Reason and free will is essential to rights. Animals do not have reason and free will. Therefore, they have no rights.

3) It is more humane to perform tests on animals than humans.
-Since humans have rights and animals do not, it is a clear choice to test animals rather than humans.

4) Animals harm each other anyway. Animal testing is part of nature.
-Humans are essentially animal. So, for an animal such as a human to do harm to another animal is simply nature.

5) Animal testing benefits other animals.
-Take veterinary medicine for example. One cat may die from animal testing, but s/he may save many more cats from death from the knowledge gained through the cat's testing. Since one cat's life is much less important than many cat's lives, animal testing is morally acceptable.

6) Animal testing is useful.

"Animal research has played a vital role in virtually every major medical advance of the last century, for both human and animal health."
~The Foundation for Biomedical Research
http://www.fbresearch.org...

"Animal experimentation has been essential to the development of all cardiac surgery, transplantation surgery, joint replacement and all vaccinations"
~Joseph E. Murray, MD, 1990 Nobel Laureate and professor emeritus, Harvard Medical School
http://www.faunafoundation.org...

7) Animal testing reduces human suffering.
-Since a limited number of animals suffer, and a massive number of humans are saved from death from the groundbreaking research and medicine, animal testing is morally acceptable.

==========

I will stop for now and let my opponent present their side.
Rhia

Con

Rhia forfeited this round.
Xer

Pro

Hmm, this is unfortunate. My opponent did log online since I posted my argument... oh well.

In the meantime... LOOK AT THAT HORSE (See YouTube Video)
Rhia

Con

Rhia forfeited this round.
Xer

Pro

I guess my opponent agrees with me...

So, vote Pro.
Posted by Rhia 7 years ago
Rhia
Sorry I couldn't continue the debate. Something important came up - I logged on to debate but I wasn't able to. My apologies.
Posted by Lifeisgood 7 years ago
Lifeisgood
Loved the vid. Unbelieveable.
Posted by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
If I was Con and you tried to use the Bible in support of animal testing... Well, it wouldn't have gone over well.
Posted by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
I know that. The only reason I brought it up was because I participated in a debate with Bible and animal experimentation.
Posted by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
We are not debating the morality of the Bible.

I don't think the Bible is moral anyway.
studentathletechristian8
Just wanted to let you know the Bible totally permits it. If you get morality from the Bible, then this would be an easy victory, but it would not work for this debate.
Posted by Rhia 7 years ago
Rhia
studentathletechristian8 - No, this debate will not be based on the bible, however perhaps somebody will end up making biblical references.
Posted by Kleptin 7 years ago
Kleptin
I should leave this for others, but I'll take it if no one else does. This is a hot topic though, so I'm sure someone will.
Posted by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
"Voting Period: The voting period will last indefinitely."
-Can you please change that to a month or less. If you do, I'd love to debate.
studentathletechristian8
Quick question: will this be based on the Bible?
Vote Placed by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
RhiaXerTied