Earth_Music
Yugandda

Animals Should Not Be Confined in Zoos

Earth_Music

Con

"Zoos teach people that it is acceptable to interfere with animals and keep them locked up in captivity, where they are bored, cramped, lonely, deprived of all control over their lives, and far from their natural homes."

Yes, it is true that zoos can be educational, but do they only teach how animals live and act? Can they be a contributor in teaching children that it is alright to keep an animal captive or deprive it of food? Could they be falsely showing what animals are like in the wild?

"If these animals ever get released to the wild for any reason, they will have an extremely difficult time adapting to their natural habitat, because they had absolutely no former experience of it. They were taken care of all their lives, and now have to provide for themselves, something they are not used to."

If there is or was any hope in a zoo for an animal to be released, or if a zoo was forced by policy or law to do so, it would be very challenging for that animal to adapt to a whole new place with whole new concepts.
Yugandda

Pro

Good luck to my opponent.

My value is needs theory
Needs Theory is the assumption that certain people (animals) have different wants and needs and will do whatever possible to achieve them.
My criterion is free travel
Free travel is the ability to move freely without being confined.

1)The resolution states Animals should not be confined in Zoos. I am pro and thus I am arguing that animals should not be confined to zoo's. My opponent will be arguing that Animals should be confined to zoo's. Because it just states animals we can take the resolution and topicality to mean all animals. Humans technically classify as animals. It is impractical and immoral to keep all humans other animals in confined spaces. My opponent will argue that I am interpreting topicality wrong but I would consider this useless meta debate because It does not state specific animals or number of animals.

2)The confinement of animals presents an is-ought fallacy. My opponent assumes that because animals could be used for educational purposes, then they ought to be captured and confined. However he/she/they has not considered whether confinement is moral in the first place. Furthermore if my opponent makes this is-ought fallacy he jumps into another "begging the question" fallacy. The conclusion is that they are being used for educational purposes however this goes back to morality creating another question.

3)In order for a zoo to obtain animals, they must take animals away from another habitat. So in essence zoo's are not "creating" any more animals. If anything they are losing animals due to frequent mistreatment and misconduct. So the only purpose that remains for a zoo is for educational purposes. But this does not follow the debate and topicality. We are arguing the morality about keeping animals confined in zoo's, not the possible outcomes of keeping them there. So we can dismiss this as void.

sources:
http://www.txstate.edu...
Earth_Music

Con

Yugandda

Pro

My opponent never attacked my case in his/her speech and directly copied and pasted his/her first speech word from word. So my case stands in its entirety. Because of this I will not bring any of my points back up until he/she refutes my case.

His/Her case:

1) Both of his/her quotes are invalid and are considered null until he/she provides sources for them. I ask all voters to abstain from using this as deciding material for the debate.

2) I do not know if Con is actually arguing Con. Con is going against the resolution which states: Animals should not be confined in zoo’s. because it is a double negative with “con” and “not” he is arguing that animals should be confined to schools. But then he says, “Yes, it is true that zoo’s can be educational, but do they only teach how animals live and act? Can they be a contributor in teaching children that its alright to keep an animal captive or deprive it of food?” My opponent states that animals are often deprived of food yet he Negates the resolution: Animals should not be confined zoo’s. The rest of his case are just a bunch of rhetorical questions that prove my point.

He then goes on to state, “If there is or was any hope in a zoo for an animal to be released, or if a zoo was forced by policy or law to do so, it would be very challenging for that animal to adapt to a whole new place with whole new concepts.” This further proves my case about how animals of any kind do not belong in zoo’s.

Frankly I believe that my opponent is confused which side he/she is debating.

Earth_Music

Con

Earth_Music forfeited this round.
Yugandda

Pro

My opponent did not make a speech last round so I have nothing else to add.

Thank you

Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
To not automatically lose, please list the source(s) of yout quotes.