Buckethead31594
Thisquest

Animals don't have souls

Buckethead31594

Pro

INTRODUCTION

Animal - any member of the kingdom Animalia, comprising multicellular organisms that have a undefined shape and usually limited growth, can move voluntarily, actively acquire food and digest it internally, and have sensory and nervous systems that allow them to respond rapidly to stimuli [1].

Soul - the spiritual part of humans regarded in its moral aspect, or as believed to survive death and be subject to happiness or misery in a life to come [2].

In this debate, we shall be debating the concept of non-human creatures possessing souls. This is the innate life source that humans also possess.

UNIVERSAL TRUTHS:

~This debate only applies to non-human creatures, (eg. dogs, cats)

~Biblical, and philosophical evidence will be accepted, however, personal opinion will not be accepted

CONCLUSION

Also, please refrain from using slang, curse words, or any other type of threat. With all this said, I must also mention that my opponent is a friend of mine and is new to this website. This debate is a taste of what this website has to offer. Without any further or do, I pass this onto my opponent- who will post an introduction in round 1; The arguments/rebuttals will begin in round 2. May the truth be revealed.

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2] http://dictionary.reference.com...

Thisquest

Con

Animals are just as alive as humans are. Take Guinea Pigs for example, They have 2 eyes, a mouth, fur, four legs, and a nose, very similar to that of humans. The question is, Do they really have souls? Is there really something distinct that make them up? Do they have any intellect that humans do? They must have! We are animals in a way, We have similar characteristics as that of any other animal that roams across this earth. I believe they have souls and will one day go to Heaven as pets. I will gladly uphold this debate against my opponent about whether or not animals truly have souls or just a body moving around. Good luck to my opponent! Bring it on!
Buckethead31594

Pro

I thank my opponent for the quick response, now let us begin.

BIBLICAL EVIDENCE

1.
In the story of Genesis, God created the heavens and the earth in six days (Gen 1-2). Within those six days he created all living creatures that inhabit the earth. If you read verses 26-27, God himself proclaims that animals are inferior to humans. This inferiority proves that animals do not have souls.

"Then God said, 'Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.'" Genesis 1:26-27

- Why would God only create mankind in his image and likeness? Logically it's because animals weren't intended to be created in this way.

- If animals have souls, then why are humans allowed to rule over them? What makes humans so special? This is answered in the point I addressed above. Since humans were created in God's likeness/image, they have the ability to rule over other creatures. God does not favor his creations, they are all "good" in his eyes (Gen 1-2); the logical answer would be that since humans have souls, they are able to rule over other animals that are inferior due to their lack of souls.

2. Also in the beginning, Satan betrays God and is cast out of heaven for his evil deed. In Genesis 3, the Bible clearly speaks of a crafty serpent who tricks Eve. This can be summed up with simple transitive logic:

Satan is a spiritual being, therefore Satan can possess physical matter
The serpent did not have a soul, therefore the serpent could have been possessed
Satan is a spiritual being, therefore he possessed the serpent.

-The fact is, there is absolutely no possible way Satan could have possessed an already spirit-possessed being, considering he is a limited spiritual being himself! Another example of this can be noted in the truth of the Holy Spirit (John 20:22), the Holy Spirit takes refuge in the heart with a person's personal spirit. Is this a contradiction? Clearly it is not, for the Holy Spirit is God, and he can live in the same body with another spirit if he so chooses. However, Satan is not God, therefore he cannot in his own power possess something that already has a soul.

CONCLUSION

These are the only arguments I will address as of now. As I have stated before, this debate is merely for the introduction of my opponent to this website. I have purposefully left blatant and obvious holes in my arguments for the sole purpose of testing the perceptive abilities of my opponent. Good luck Con.

Thisquest

Con

Thisquest forfeited this round.
Buckethead31594

Pro

Buckethead31594 forfeited this round.
Thisquest

Con

Thisquest forfeited this round.
Buckethead31594

Pro

Extend all unrefuted arguments. Vote Pro.
Thisquest

Con

Thisquest forfeited this round.
Posted by Buckethead31594 5 years ago
Buckethead31594
Interesting comment Liquidus, I may have overlooked some of my sources. Where does the Bible mention that animals will be in heaven (animals referring to earthly creatures that have died)? Is this perhaps a topic you would want to debate about? Or you could supply the scripture. Your choice.
Posted by Liquidus 5 years ago
Liquidus
The Bible does state that animals will be in heaven. Therefore, this argument should be very easy.