Balacafa
Westwinds1

Animals should be freed from zoos

Balacafa

Balacafa

Con

For this debate I believe that animals shouldn't be freed from zoos. Therefore pro should be arguing that animals should be freed from zoos.

Round 1 - Acceptance
Round 2 - Introduce your argument
Round 3 - Make your main points and justify them
Round 4 - Contradictions
Round 5 - Conclude your argument (no new arguments or contradictions)
Westwinds1

Pro

Hey, I've decided to accept your debate and take the side of con for it is unnatural to keep animals from their natural habitat and treat them as if they are prisoners.
Balacafa

Con

Round 2: Introduction

First we need to establish in our understanding of what exactly a zoo is. But first let us start with what a zoo was. A zoo was a place where animals were showcased for people's entertainment and amusement. Conditions were appalling. Understanding was limited and lets not get started on the rights of animals.... but that was then. Now zoos are for conservation and protection for the rights of animals. Many zoos and zoological societies petition against governments who don't protect and enforce protection legislation over animals.
Westwinds1

Pro

A zoo is a construct were they keep animals looked up as subject to human entertainment. Often schools will take field trips to zoo's to learn about a variety of animals. I'm not saying your argument is invalid just flawed because zoo's never "were" or are" they will always remain animal prisons.
Balacafa

Con

Before, zoos actively sought out animals to showcase. There was no understanding or appreciation of animals. Zoos were never a prison. Living conditions and social conditions weren't taken into account. The animals weren't necessarily put in zoos because they did something wrong. Zoos were more so and (I will accepts, still are) circuses and fairgrounds. There is still that elements of attraction but we don't actively seek out animals to put in zoos for entertainment. We do it for their safety. The fun aspect of zoos is there purely as a bonus not as a matter of priority.

Now that, that's sorted we can move on.

My argument may be seen as contradicting the Darwinian perspective - survival of the fittest. But I say to this - who says that our intervention is a negative force. Our interventions supports the evolutionary journey so beings have no need to die out.

Many zoos also protect endangered animals. In fact many animals would have become extinct by now. You may decide to contradict this by saying that more species are killed than saved but without zoos then that as I said previously that statistic would be higher without zoos.

The modern zoo is a progressive force for the betterment of all animals.
Westwinds1

Pro

Have you not taken the time to think that it maybe wrong to deprive them of their natural habitat? Taking animals and putting them in a zoo is like taking you from your house and putting you in a total different location it's not right to take animals against their will, away from their habitat's and family's and put them in zoos. Not to mention family's of the animals. how would you feel being ripped from your family at young age only to get thrown into a cage as subject to human entertainment.

Not to mention abuse, animals at zoos are abused daily by employee's and costumers at the zoo. Often animals at zoos are subject to abuse, experimentation, and depression. So ask yourself this question, is it really okay to keep animals in zoos?
Balacafa

Con

All good zoos try to recreate an animals natural habitat. Animals will get the care that they need and the animals may not be aware of this but generally there quality of life will be improved and there food supply will also be generally higher. Animals are not being taken to zoos for no reason. They are taken there either because they are injured or are not fit to be out in the wild; because they are being hunted in the area that they are living in or they are on the verge of extinction. In response to your question of (how would you feel being ripped from your family at a young age only to get thrown into a cage as subject to human entertainment) I would say: Would you rather die or be taken away from your family*?

To contradict your second paragraph, generally zoos in developed countries receive no abuse and if they do then the issue is not the zoos it is the governments issue. The only reason that we know about zoo abuse is because in the news we have seen arrests. This means that employees who harm animals in zoos are punished. The final question that you have asked me wont make sense if you are referring to zoos in general. Your question is aimed individually and is therefore irrelevant. In the grand scheme of things the occasional abuse zoo isn't a reason to abolish zoos completely. Anthropomorphism is the word associated with animals having human characteristics - you have been using this throughout you debate. You have also said that animals are abused daily. In care homes elderly people are sometimes abused. Do you also propose that we close down all of the care homes?
Westwinds1

Pro

Westwinds1 forfeited this round.
Balacafa

Con

Con has forfeited so I will allow him to extend his argument in this round.

CONCLUSION

It is our moral imperative as guardians of this planet to protect everything on it. This may be misinterpreted and people may think that I am saying that people are superior but at the moment we are the only animals that are making an effort to try and protect other animals on a large scale. If we stop now then who will be their to help them and car for them when they are alone and in need. If you propose that we release all animals from zoos can you honestly say that it would be better for the animals (and targeting individual zoos doesn't cover all animals in all zoos).

VOTE CON!!!!!
Westwinds1

Pro

Westwinds1 forfeited this round.
Posted by Lovetheworld4real 1 year ago
Lovetheworld4real
Don't forget roadside zoos! Those are cruel and disgusting places with a huge record of abuse. Tiger cubs are starved so that they can be bribed by food into visitors laps. Zoos have not changed a bit.
Posted by Lovetheworld4real 1 year ago
Lovetheworld4real
How could you say that zoos are ok?! They keep animals in pens without proper amounts of space. I want to bring forth sea world, their orcas are often inbred, used for amusement, then cramped with other strange orcas. These conditions are the cause of trainers deaths and death and injury of the whales. I must remind you that it's a giant zoo. Birds are severely stressed and large predators become bored. Birds will pluck out feathers and some animals bang their heads on the cage. This eternal boredom forces the animals to entertain themselves in unhealthy ways. Lack of exercise is also a problem, as the cages are often too small or cramped.
We should not force these animals to suffer just so that we may see them without traveling. We have photographs and wild ones to see. Don't believe that zoos help endangered species aaa much as you say. They do less than any organization that's based on this sole purpose. Why keep endangered animals in captivity when we want them in the wild?
Zoos are not appropriate places to keep animals, we need to shut down zoos and free the animals into their natural habitat.
Posted by Balacafa 1 year ago
Balacafa
My opponent has forfeited twice. VOTE CON!!!
Posted by Balacafa 1 year ago
Balacafa
You can include some detail from the previous round in this round but you cannot take advantage and try and contradict a lot of my argument. I'll let you do a bit but since I didn't have an opportunity to make any contradictions due to the forfeit I think that it is fair that you shouldn't make too many.
Posted by Westwinds1 1 year ago
Westwinds1
I am sorry for forfeiting I had to go to someones house and they did not have internet.
Posted by Westwinds1 1 year ago
Westwinds1
Pro my mistake
Vote Placed by Martley 1 year ago
Martley
BalacafaWestwinds1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited, all points go to Con