NedaViana
Jebediah-Kerman

Animals should have rights

Jebediah-Kerman

NedaViana

Pro

This round is just for acceptance. Do not state your first argument here.
Please write back ASAP. Thank you for debating.
Jebediah-Kerman

Con

I accept, looking forward to the debate!
NedaViana

Pro

I believe animals should have rights.
First reason is that we are them, all animals. We have very close DNA's; for example cats actually share 90% of their DNA with us.
Second reason is they have their own rights to live because they have their own lives, emotion, pain, even friends and family! Some elephants have been known to have depression disorders!
If we destroy their habitat, hunt for their skins and use them as lab testing materials, we kill them, them losing the point of their lives and family. It's practically the same as cannibalism.
Some are counted "wild" and even that is sometimes wrong. For example a tiger kills so much animals to fill it's food needs and if it were small, it would never ever attack humans.

Every animal is like a human. If you ever had a pet that matched you well, you'd see how attached they'd become to you. I just look at my cat's face and I just go crazy with love. He is also very smart, understanding "go wake up Neda" by just hearing it. We never taught him, but he knew.
Jebediah-Kerman

Con

Just to clarify: what kind of rights are we talking about? Right to vote? Right of Free Speech?

Counter-arguments:

1: Almost same DNA "We have very close DNA's; for example cats actually share 90% of their DNA with us."
I don't really see how this would matter; bananas share about 50% of our DNA. Even then, how does this show that animals should have rights?

2: Emotions "Second reason is they have their own rights to live because they have their own lives, emotion, pain, even friends and family! Some elephants have been known to have depression disorders!"
Again, how does this show they should have rights?

3: "If we destroy their habitat, hunt for their skins and use them as lab testing materials, we kill them, them losing the point of their lives and family. It's practically the same as cannibalism."
Cannibalism [kan-uh-buh-liz-uh m] 1. The eating of human flesh by another human being. I don't see how doing that is practically cannibalism, or even "wrong".
"Some are counted "wild" and even that is sometimes wrong. For example a tiger kills so much animals to fill it's food needs and if it were small, it would never ever attack humans."
Still don't see the relevance.

4: "Every animal is like a human" I would beg to differ.
"If you ever had a pet that matched you well, you'd see how attached they'd become to you. I just look at my cat's face and I just go crazy with love." Yes, you can become emotionally attached to a cat. You can also become emotionally attached to a building. http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

Arguments:
Other living things also have relativly close DNA to us. Should we give rights to grass? Bacteria?

http://www.mirror.co.uk...
http://dictionary.reference.com...
NedaViana

Pro

NedaViana forfeited this round.
Jebediah-Kerman

Con

My arguments still stand.
NedaViana

Pro

NedaViana forfeited this round.
Jebediah-Kerman

Con

Jebediah-Kerman forfeited this round.
NedaViana

Pro

NedaViana forfeited this round.
Jebediah-Kerman

Con

Good debate, pro.
Posted by NedaViana 2 years ago
NedaViana
Well vote "Con" for this debate cause the time for my rounds is ALWAYS bad.
Posted by NedaViana 2 years ago
NedaViana
Damn it, the time of debating seriously is exactly when i'm in school or sleeping.
Posted by Anunaki 2 years ago
Anunaki
animals have the right to be eaten. but yeah they should have rights to some extent. not constitutional rights but the right not to be treated poorly and abused..if you go around abusing and torturing animals ,youre just a dick.
Posted by NedaViana 2 years ago
NedaViana
Please do not include religon in this debate
Vote Placed by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
NedaVianaJebediah-KermanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides forfeited. Pro forfeited more. points to Con.