Master123
Woodsy1995

Animals should not be kept in captivity

Master123

Master123

Pro

This is my first debate so I want to do well and have a good one also rules to debating
Challenger/opponent
no trolling
no plagiarizing off another plagiarizing means to copy something from someone else's work
No rude language
Voters/commenters
Vote for who you think matches all the criteria for each point
No rude comments
No multi account voting
My opponent shall follow those rules in this debate
Woodsy1995

Con

The good news is that this is my first argument as well, I wish you luck and I also thank you for a fantastic debate topic, Now straight onto the debate.

First I would like to point out that often the captivity of animals is to the benefit of the animal in question for example the work done by the Smithsonian national zoo in which various almost extinct species have been bred in captivity to ensure the survival of the animal in question, one such animal being the Black-footed ferret, in 1985 this small helpless animal was on the brink of extinction with only 18 individuals remaining, with the help of captivity of this particular species the park managed to breed over 1000 new individuals, and release 800 back into the wild by 1991 this is an amazing recovery only made possible by the help of captivity.

Secondly, often the captivity of animals helps to create vaccines for varies diseases and illnesses, the animal testing programs have bought to the human race such miracles as penicillin, tetanus vaccines, and modern anaesthetics, all created thanks to the captivity of mice and the ability to test on them, are you saying that we should allow all the animals used for necessary medical testing free and allow illnesses to spread and begin to kill the population at an increasing rate?

thirdly your argument suggests that a large amount of the animal population is in captivity, and that simply is not true, the small amount that are in captivity are kept well fed, well looked after and are generally well looked after by the handlers and carers.

I look forward to your reply
Merry Christmas to you
Master123

Pro

Merry Christmas
To define captivity
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
' To be imprisoned of chained' Showed in this link above. I agree with you that it does help breed but I am going to say animal captivity is not good for animals in our environment shall I begin my refutes.
You stated that zoos help breed animals for extinction which is very true but zoos are not good places to keep a animal reasons why
-There has been several reports of animals being killed and eaten in zoos by zookeepers. Do you think That's right?
- Zoos are just for the amusement of the public keeping them there would just separate them from the wild just because of some child amusement.
- Zoos capture random animals. Imagine yourself as a tiger and then a strange person you don't know kidnaps you just for amusement. How would you feel to be caught in a net away from home and just used for research and tricks? How I would feel is the urge to cry and yell for help because its not fair to remove a animal from its habitat just to use it for research at zoos and for trades and also amusements.
Zoos do take part in breeding and research but zoos have been keeping animals in a prison if zoos want to help bring back the dead why don't they do there breeding program and once the population of the almost extinct animal grows back why not let them free but no use them for tricks.
'Secondly, often the captivity of animals helps to create vaccines for varies diseases and illnesses, the animal testing programs have bought to the human race such miracles as penicillin, tetanus vaccines, and modern anaesthetics, all created thanks to the captivity of mice and the ability to test on them, are you saying that we should allow all the animals used for necessary medical testing free and allow illnesses to spread and begin to kill the population at an increasing rate?'

First of all animals are used for medicine when kept in captivity but like I said people kill these captive animals for medicine killing animals and selling them and using their fur for medicine. If they want to use it for medicine why don't they use some kind of machine they could invent to help make medicine out of animals without killing them and plants could be used as medicine for healing so that's no excuse to say that they need to keep animals captive to kill and produce medicine

'thirdly your argument suggests that a large amount of the animal population is in captivity, and that simply is not true, the small amount that are in captivity are kept well fed, well looked after and are generally well looked after by the handlers and carers.'
First of all the first round I placed the rules I never had any argument all I did was place the rules so this doesn't make any sense to put I posted an argument that a large amount of animals are in captivity.
Argument
To clear all of that away animals should be not kept in captivity because it keeps them away from there true home. Humans should not kill so many innocent animals for money or others. Animals do not like it when they are captive and abused.
Sanctuaries
These sanctuaries are doing a really good job of taking care of animals and keeping them in the wild where there true home is not being imprisoned. With these sanctuaries animals are able to roam around whenever they please and sanctuaries breed, feed and take care of animals unlike zoos which how they just kill,trade,train them to entertain public, and prison animals. In this decision I would rather live in a sanctuaries then a zoo.
Links
http://www.captiveanimals.org...
http://advocacy.britannica.com...
http://www.wisegeek.com...

Videos

http://www.youtube.com...

http://www.youtube.com...

Look at the difference which would you rather be

Ending
Great argument and am looking forward to your post and Merry Chrismas
Woodsy1995

Con

Ok So what my opponent does not understand is that my argument is in no way debating the fact that animals are treated well, I base my argument on the fact of the greater good.
The fact that animals being kept in captivity are being treated horribly is not the case of the question posed, the big argument I pose to you is the fact that it is necessary Animals must be kept in captivity for necessary medical research, various studies conducted, and yes, even for the enjoyment of our children.
If a Tiger in the wild attacks a baby elephant, rips it from its herd, kills it, and then eats on its inside, Is this a tragedy?
That tiger doesn't need to kill that animal to survive, it is not it base instinct to kill that animal, it hunts the prey due to the natural order, in the same way that Humans, kill, hunt, capture and eat animals for the natural order.

"First of all animals are used for medicine when kept in captivity but like I said people kill these captive animals for medicine killing animals and selling them and using their fur for medicine. If they want to use it for medicine why don't they use some kind of machine they could invent to help make medicine out of animals without killing them and plants could be used as medicine for healing so that's no excuse to say that they need to keep animals captive to kill and produce medicine"
On this idea, do we have such a machine? can you show me some way in which we can create vaccines without killing the animals?
The time to fight the diseases is only in the present. should we wait for 20 years for these machines to be thought up, created, tested when we have a vaccine ready to use, right here right now.
This is natural, the death of animals to further the research of man

"To clear all of that away animals should be not kept in captivity because it keeps them away from there true home. Humans should not kill so many innocent animals for money or others. Animals do not like it when they are captive and abused."
Animals do not like it? where is that source from? where is the proof in that? did you ask them yourself?
It is all necessary to kill animals, even for money, humans are the top of the pecking order and we have a right to kill.

living in a sanctuary is still living in captivity, you can not argue against captivity and then give an alternative to it with captivity,
I do however understand your point that maybe not all zoo's and other place like this are treating the animals fairly, maybe some are being abused, however this is not the fault of captivity, this is the fault of man.

Basically my point is you should be arguing for Animals should not be kept in captivity, You are arguing that they should be treated better in captivity.

Also who is to say that observing the animals in a captive environment is a bad thing, perhaps seeing these animals in zoos, is the only way some people might get to see these animals, should we deny access to such beautiful creatures to those who can not possibly see these animals in the wild due to disability or inability to travel?
Millions of people visit the thousands of zoos around the world, proving that we simply never grow tired of observing wildlife.

Finished
Master123

Pro

Master123 forfeited this round.
Woodsy1995

Con

I have nothing to reply to
Posted by PotBelliedGeek 3 years ago
PotBelliedGeek
Both debaters here are horribly misinformed on the subject. I am pro captivity and will accept a debate challenge on the subject.
Posted by Master123 3 years ago
Master123
Animal captivity is bad
Vote Placed by Gohan12345 3 years ago
Gohan12345
Master123Woodsy1995Tied
Reasons for voting decision: it is captivitys fault for the killing but just to say conduct to con. ro had resourcrs