Animated bands are better than real-life bands.

Started: 2/5/2016 Category: Music

This should be a pretty fun debate to have.

My personal position is that animated musicians are much better than live musicians. I have multiple reasons for this, which I will outline in Round 2.

Round 1 will be a brief introduction and acceptance to debate.
Round 2 will be arguments.
Round 3 will be rebuttals.

I look forward to debating!

I think that live musicians are better that animated musicians. I will also put my arguments in round 2

Thank you for accepting my offer to debate!

Firstly, we'll need to define "animated". The animated bands I will be using as examples in this debate are Gorillaz and Studio Killers. While their voices and instrumentals are provided by real people, they are primarily based in an animated world. I will also be using Vocaloids for my point.

My first point is, as these bands are animated, they have much more artistic liberty, and they can also do things generally impossible for humans to do in their videos. Cases in point: : "Jenny" by Studio Killers ( and "19-2000" by Gorillaz ( In the Jenny video, the pictured character (Jenny) turns into a tiger. Due to the fictional universe, this is completely possible. And the 19-2000 video has everything from UFOs to stunts to a giant moose in the middle of the road. These things could be done with special effects, sure, but they wouldn't have the same effect as the animated version. And while live bands could produce animated videos, the whole schematics of the band couldn't constantly be set in that fictional universe.

Another part of the artistic liberty is the ability to take on difficult issues (LGBT issues with Jenny, government with the Demon Days album) without the risk of physical harm to the performers.

My second point is live performances. Such musicians as Mariah Carey and Taylor Swift can't, in general, compete with their studio recordings. Both have been shown to not be as good live as on album recordings. However, such bands as Studio Killers ( don't have this issue, as their music is prerecorded, and will remain the same throughout the shows. One of the best examples is the MTV EMA's performance of Feel Good Inc. by the Gorillaz and two rappers ( Though the performance by 2D and the other members is great, the live rappers are lackluster, at best.

Thirdly, there's much more ability for fan creativity with fictional/animated bands. While live bands are real people with real lives, fictional characters are, well, fictional.

And finally are Vocaloids, their own entity. In lieu of my own windy explanation, information on them can be found here: ( They sell out shows frequently, and have millions of fans across the world. Many of them can sing in many languages. They can also sing in lower/higher ranges than humans.

These are my arguments as to why animated musicians are superior.

I just want to let you know, I like debating, but this is my first actual debate.

I don't disagree with you that those types of animated bands are better, but I like watching the actual musicians perform. To make my point I will be using actual bands and orchestras. They perform music like Mozart and Beethoven. For me, part of the music is seeing the musicians faces, and seeing the different instruments.

I do agree that seeing instruments would be a good part of a performance, but note that in the Gorillaz performance, Murdoc, Russel, and Noodle all had instruments, and the appearance of them did reflect the actual notes being played. Also, thanks to motion capture, the emotion and movements portrayed are quite close to what you would get if the providers of the instrumentals and vocals were performing themselves.

It is quite close, but not exact. How things are now, is that you can go and watch people perform. You can see the expressions on their faces, choose different players to watch. You might be able to do this with a recording, but you would not be able to choose a player, and you probably not be able to choose different sections to listen to.