Fallacies
TylerMarcus

Anime: English Subs are (usually) better than English dubs.

Fallacies

Fallacies

Pro

The first round is for acceptance only. By accepting you agree to these conditions:
-It is based solely on logic, and relevance.
-Facts, Statistics, and definitions will play no part in this argument.
-Assume the viewer natively reads/writes English, and has no sensory impairment
-This is about anime, not manga
-Examples can be given.

It is not about:
-what most people like or prefer

It is about:
-Logically, which will give a viewer a more meaningful (and better) experience?
TylerMarcus

Con

I say that subs are usually more liked compared to dubs mostly because they came out first. I myself am neutral to this topics, but try this on for size. Check out two animes you have not seen, then for one listen to the dubs, and for the other listen to the sub. After several episode, switch. the dub becomes sub and the sub becomes dub. It'll sound foreign and the voices you were more suited to will be more favorable instead of the opposite.
Fallacies

Pro

I disagree. Subs and dubs have profound differences, and are not equal.
1: Season 1 Code Geass in dub... Sub is better.
2: Season 1 of Black Lagoon in Sub... Sub is better.
English subs provide a better experience for viewers.
Viewer that start watching an ongoing anime series, will always have to wait longer for the dubs. This not only frustrates a viewer, but causes dubs to rushed when finding voice actors. Because of this, subs represent characters better than dubs.
TylerMarcus

Con

Well
1: Newer anime fans will gravitate towards classic animes already dubbed since there are so many thus spreading the influence of anime and benefiting the community here in the west.
2: The FMA:B/FMA Dubs were superior (In my opinion)
Yes, subs may be better at times, but for newer viewers, there is already a full arsenal of dubbed anime that they can gravitate to because in dubs you can better focus on the action(shounen) or story rather than reading it below. (Doesn't apply to veterans)
Fallacies

Pro

1. Newer anime fans gravitate towards mecha and mainstream anime, not classics. Naruto, One Piece, Bleach are all still coming out. A viewer watching subbed could enjoy not having the frustration of a longer wait.
2. Subs cause a viewer to stay attentive. Anime, such as 'Serial Experiments Lain' or 'Baccano!' require a viewer's attention to understand the plot.
3. Subs do not distract a viewer. It takes no time to get used to.
4. Dubs take away references/formalities of Japanese culture.
TylerMarcus

Con

1: Newer viewers will gravitate to what is popular or well known, not just the animes still coming out. Naruto and Bleach for the most part are dubbed.
2:There are plenty of complex dubbed animes so this claim needs more evidence. FMA can make you think at times and is very complex in it's mythos.
3: I was distracted as a newbie, BUT as I became more of a VETERAN I got used to it. You just contradicted your statement since my claim was that newer viewers be distracted, not veterans.
Posted by Fallacies 2 years ago
Fallacies
Comments are not part of the debate.
Anyway, this is about subs OR dubs. Going back and watching the dub defeats the purpose of the argument. And having a western audience exposed to Japanese Culture and customs would definitely give them a better experience.
Again, dubs may be more popular than subs (which is why they are marketed) but not better.
Posted by TylerMarcus 2 years ago
TylerMarcus
Oh and for your number 4: The references are changed to be marketed to an American audience who would not get all the references shown in a culture foreign to their's. This is hardly a flaw since they could go back to the subbed version of an anime they saw dubbed and have a whole new experience. It's simply a marketing technique.
Posted by Fallacies 2 years ago
Fallacies
Makes sense. Still, I don't watch Bleach mainly because the animation quality at the beginning of the series bothers me too much.
Posted by baaaaa 2 years ago
baaaaa
In bleach eps 1 dub when Ichigo talks his mouth wasn't moving. HORRIBLE
Posted by Fallacies 2 years ago
Fallacies
I disagree. The sub in Code Geass is much better than the dub. I started it by watching season 1 in the dub, and then later changed to the sub. This actually started my preference of subs over dubs.
Also, you are not 'stuck watching the bottom of the screen' in dubs. If anything, subs keep you more focused on the anime. Whenever I watch an anime, I usually forget that it's subbed.
I guess in some cases it's hard to say which is better. I'veseen anime where the dub and sub have changed my complete interpretation of the series, and the character's personalities.
Posted by WyattEarp1 2 years ago
WyattEarp1
Code Geass has a way better Dub than Sub. Also the dialogues in dub are usually more sensical than what the sub presents. Also with sub you're stuck reading the bottom portion of the screen and missing out on the animation and surroundings making dub better. But overall it depends e anime and I can watch both, but I prefer dub.
Posted by Rayze 2 years ago
Rayze
Subs or dubs honestly depend on the anime.
Hellsing OVA's english dub is definitely better because you have actual different english accents ranging from British, French to German and Irish accents, whereas the English Subs only shows similar Japanese detracting from the international nature of Hellsing.
Ghost In the Shell on the other hand is better when it is in English Subs because the dubs mispronounce the names of the characters and detract from the story
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
That would probably be key to any argument.
Posted by WyattEarp1 2 years ago
WyattEarp1
Can I use examples of differences in the dialogue for my argument?
Vote Placed by Seeginomikata 2 years ago
Seeginomikata
FallaciesTylerMarcusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Dubs are only better when the characters/setting are American. Honestly, I preferred series' such as Yukikaze and Baccano in dubs because the characters represented were Americans dealing with American things, and were thus better represented by American voice-actors and American-oriented dialogue translations. However this is a specific circumstance. Generally, and for the reasons pro stated, subs are just better.