Anime beats cartoons

Round 1

Thank you for accepting :P

I accept this debate.

Anime is far better then cartoons in my opinion.

First of all, anime has meaningful stories and a storyline. Sure some anime is horrible but it's the same for cartoons.
Anime also has good action and jokes unlike cartoons. I mean Ben 10 and Avatar? Talking about those cartoons, the cartoons that succeed was based off anime.
For example, Avatar, Ben 10 and Teen Titans.

But even if you look at those cartoons they don't even touch anime like Dragonball, Full Metal Alchemist, One Piece.
Those anime has great jokes, action and stories.

Cartoons have a majority of cartoons that have no story, bad jokes, no action at all or cheesy action.
Example: Spongebob, Tom and Jerry etc.

Luma forfeited this round.

Mafuba forfeited this round.

I apologize for my forfeiture of round 2 of the debate. This was unintentional. I can only access during weekdays. I hope you understand, and allow me to post my arguments now.

The debate here is between anime (Japanese animation) and cartoons. However, both are strongly influenced by each other, making this a bit hard to debate. Yes, Ben 10 and Teen Titans, while both extremely successful, did have anime influences.

To rebut your first point, there are many cartoons with good storylines, such as Steven Universe and Adventure Time. Both have meaningful stories, lessons to be learned, and a storyline. As you pointed out with your second sentence of the first paragraph, anime and cartoons are equal in this regard.

They also have great action scenes (such as in Message Received of Steven Universe) and jokes (again, I'll use Steven Universe) that appeal to all ages. I agree, a lot of cartoons do have no ongoing plot, and cheesy action. But Spongebob, the example you used, is a cartoon that makes this work. It appeals to all ages with its humor, and gives us such memorable episodes as Band Geeks.

I'm not saying that all cartoons are bad. But what I'm trying to say here is that the majority of anime have deeper stories, better action, better jokes etc.

You used Steven Universe as most of your examples right?
So lets use Full Metal Alchemist as a example. The story plotline for Steven Universe is about finding some rocks/gems along. But Full Metal Alchemist is a dark and deep story but it can be enjoyed by all ages. The plot is that The world of Fullmetal Alchemist is styled after the European Industrial Revolution. Set in a fictional universe in which alchemy is one of the most advanced scientific techniques, the story follows the Elric brothers Edward and Alphonse, who are searching for a philosopher's stone to restore their bodies after a failed attempt to bring their mother back to life using alchemy. Thats really dark. I have read through the manga again and looking at it as a older person I found out how dark and deep the story was. None of the cartoons made me think like that.

Thank you for accepting vote for Mafuba.

As a rebuttal for the entire argument, anime is another type of cartoon. "Cartoon", as a commenter pointed out, is an entire category of TV show. Thus cartoons reign supreme.

As my next point, Steven Universe and similar cartoons are good for people who don't want or can't handle a dark plot. The plot is still involved without being too dark of depressing. While I can appreciate the dark plot, I also like to lighten things up with Steven Universe.

Steven Universe isn't about "finding some rocks/gems along". It's about a group of nonhuman heroes called the Crystal Gems and their half-human sort of son, Steven. It has an involved story, especially in talking about Homeworld and the war. It also has numerous arcs, such as (SPOILER ALERT) the Homeworld arc and the Peridot Redemption arc. These all add to the story in their own way.

Thank you for this debate. Vote Luma.
Posted by Linkstart 8 months ago
a simple drawing showing the features of its subjects in a humorously exaggerated way, especially a satirical one in a newspaper or magazine.
synonyms:caricature, parody, lampoon, satire; More
a motion picture using animation techniques to photograph a sequence of drawings rather than real people or objects.
synonyms:animated film, animation; informaltoon
"they watched cartoons on television"
make a drawing of (someone) in a simplified or exaggerated way.

Anime is just a form of a cartoon.
Posted by TheDom275 8 months ago
Pro is for anime and con is for cartoons, yes?