Akemi_Loli_Mokoto
joshpleco23

Anime is better then American Cartoons

Akemi_Loli_Mokoto

Pro

I say Anime is better then Cartoons because Anime is unique. You see unlike cartoons, Anime has a Story Line. And not only does it have a story line, it sticks to it until the end of the season and even beyond. Also the Art is different. Anime is created with the Utmost details and color. Anime is popular on a global scale. It makes billions of dollars internationally per year. need I say more?
joshpleco23

Con

Hello! I am Pleco!
First, let us define anime. The word, "anime", is Japanese for "animation". In western culture a cartoon can be considered "anime" if it originated in Japan. Anime can be identified with a certain "artistic style", common traits found in Anime are over sized heads and small bodies (chibe), large eyes, and bright colors (such as Negima, Pokļæ½mon, Castle in the Sky, and so on). Though there are many anime series which exist that have darker tones to them (Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, and many more which lean toward the darker audience.)

Whether or not Japanese cartoons are not better then American cartoons because it depends on the individuals interest. I could be more interested in watching Tom and Jerry, and hate Anime, to me the American Cartoon could be the greatest thing on TV. While some other kid somewhere else might love to watch Bleach, and hate American cartoons.

Also, Western Artists and Western Companies have borrowed, or used the skills of Japanese artists to make an American cartoon.
Posted by samantha.roithquayle 4 years ago
samantha.roithquayle
Kinda weeaboo to say "Oh it's all better than American Cartoons". Both have their own merits that define them so this debate is pretty.... flat? It's pretty pointless to compare 2 different things when they all use different means to address messages. I actually like both Anime and Cartoons, Fullmetal Alchemist and Xiaolin Showdown. Both were built on different grounds and means to tell a story. Just saying "Oh it has story makes it SO much better" is kind of a hypocritical argument since Japan ALSO has plotless Anime. But in all honesty the Pro argument comes off as a little weeaboo-ish since you ACTUALLY put this on a debate site. You're trying to compare 2 things that aren't the same, stuff like Fullmetal Alchemist and Air to.... Simpsons? They aren't even in the same category. At LEAST compare 2 things that have SOME similarity, because if not you just have a weak argument and using bad examples to try and emphasize your point unjustly. Plus the overall "pro" argument is flat in general, trying to be like "need I say more?" YES in fact I DO believe you should say more because your argument isn't at all convincing. You provided very little of examples so I am under the impression you made this debate just to try and emphasize your point... which was a rather pointless thing to do. Please try again, with effort next time.
Posted by tyciol 7 years ago
tyciol
Failing hard as ever with your presumptuous arguments eh Akemi? Good thing I won't give my cell or you'd have another Con vote, lol
Posted by FormAndTheFormless 7 years ago
FormAndTheFormless
Roy, I was primarily saying that the plots that are typical of animes have a negative effect on comedic value (in a very poorly written wall of text). I usually watch both anime and American cartoons for their comedic value as I find comedy more entertaining in general; although I realize that many people watch such shows for different reasons. I do feel that the two deliver moral messages very differently in general though.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Form, No doubt having character development and a plot precludes not having character development and a plot. I don't see that as a net gain.

There are a few anime that play good v. evil strictly for laughs. "Photon: The Idiot Adventures" http://en.wikipedia.org...(anime) features a superhero who drags around a box to sleep in and fights superhuman evil forces with a stick.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
josh, Saying "Scooby Doo was awesome" is sad. :-?
Posted by joshpleco23 7 years ago
joshpleco23
Roylatham, Scooby Doo was awsome... Happy? :D
Posted by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
///Also, Western Artists and Western Companies have borrowed, or used the skills of Japanese artists to make an American cartoon.///

This statement killed Con's enitre case.
FormAndTheFormless
Sorry, I meant "bad results" at the end of the Spongebob paragraph.
FormAndTheFormless
I feel that a non-linear story allows writers and animators to be a bit more flexible with what sort of content is presented.

For instance, shows such as Spongebob or Flapjack could deliver a moral message regarding drug use but express the issue indirectly while retaining comedic value (such as when Squidward became addicted to Krabby Patties). Even though Squidward is rushed to the hospital at the end of the episode, it doesn't really force the writers to consider the event in the next episode. The viewer also learns that doing something in excess can potentially have bad circumstances.

Animes usually would need to construct several episodes around the subject and are typically very direct whenever a moral principle is being presented. The writers have to consider how the characters would feel about the situation and often need to present some sort of sustained emotional realization within them to convince the viewers that the moral message is meaningful; this often damages the comedic value.

Although I'm not claiming that all animes are like this, a large sum of them are. I personally don't find this nearly universal need to deliver strong moral messages within animes to be very entertaining; especially considering that they are often constructed using unbelievable and typically uncreative circumstances (fights between good and evil characters who possess magical powers for instance); such circumstances seem that they would be much more entertaining if the writers were to instead use them for comedic purposes instead of trying to deliver a strong moral message.

Purely comical animes are pretty rare, as are cartoons that deliver meaningful and convincing moral messages.

Regarding the debate, I believe that the con's argument is convincing but I would not feel comfortable voting because many of the pro's assertions regarding the superiority of anime were not assessed.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
It is difficult to judge such a weak debate. Pro argued that anime has real story lines, better quality animation and better international sales. Con really did not dispute any of Pro's claims, arguing that all depends upon what a person likes. That supposes one might like inferior story lines and bad artwork, even though international markets clearly do not. If Con established that there were many pluses and minuses on both sides, then it would be reasonable to suppose that it is all a matter of personal taste. But Con basically had nothing to point to as positive about cartoons, and there is really not much to judge other than story and art. That grants too much to Pro, who therefore wins the argument.

Incidentally, the only virtue of cartoons I can think of is that they offer social commentary relative to American society, citing The Simpsons and South Park. The art and stories are wretched.
Vote Placed by cjl 7 years ago
cjl
Akemi_Loli_Mokotojoshpleco23Tied
Vote Placed by Sonofkong 7 years ago
Sonofkong
Akemi_Loli_Mokotojoshpleco23Tied
Vote Placed by Akemi_Loli_Mokoto 7 years ago
Akemi_Loli_Mokoto
Akemi_Loli_Mokotojoshpleco23Tied
Vote Placed by coledf12 7 years ago
coledf12
Akemi_Loli_Mokotojoshpleco23Tied
Vote Placed by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
Akemi_Loli_Mokotojoshpleco23Tied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Akemi_Loli_Mokotojoshpleco23Tied
Vote Placed by InsertNameHere 7 years ago
InsertNameHere
Akemi_Loli_Mokotojoshpleco23Tied
Vote Placed by Marauder 7 years ago
Marauder
Akemi_Loli_Mokotojoshpleco23Tied