Anonimity should be a fundamental right

This debate is open to anyone who's willing to accept it. What the debate topic boils down to is that anonimity should be a fundamental right in -nearly every (there are exceptions)- situation. Anonimity is a part of freedom, it should be a basic human right.

I start my response with this:
"Anonymity is a part of freedom, it should be a basic human right"

I ask Pro this, if everybody had the option to wear a mask that was just blank with no distinct features in public, no one knowing what they looked like or seeing their emotions how many would choose that?

I know the Majority of criminals would choose to do so, if it became common.
I know a good percentage of people who would not commit a crime would choose to do so, and join the criminals.
An example being: Web anonyminity.
You are by all accounts anonymous online, you don't have to disclose anything about you apart from your IP and even then that can be hidden.
That image you found on Google and set as your background? Theft
That song from your favorite band your friend sent the download link for. Likely Theft again.
I could name several common practices you do online that are in fact illegal in most countries, but I digress.

My Main point is when people become anonymous they stop being people, they become beasts driven by raw instincts and pleasure, they forget about their common man and instead focus solely on themselves.

A point I expect you to bring up is the Group Anonymous.
Their Exploits are nothing to be laughed at, but as good as their intentions may have been, in the end they did it for "the lulz" i.e Pleasure.

This Debate comes down to one factor.
Are people Innately good? Or Innately Evil?

Because Anonymity is a Power
Power Corrupts.
We have known this for a long time.

Your Move Pro.

Good argument, contender. Of course, you could argue that the gift of anonymity could be used for crime and mischief. It's a fair point. But then again, what is thought of as evil to one person can be seen as good to another, and vice versa. Anonymity goes hand in hand with responsibility. We could use the gift of having no name for good as well. Reporting illegal activities without fear of retribution, for instance. Crime could in fact just as easily be prevented by anonymity. It allows you to be as rude and brutal as you want, without physically hurting people. That has a sort of cathartic, purgative effect.

Anonymity matters for a variety of reasons. A very big reason being that anonymity encourages honesty. And honesty is important. Some people tend to take to online anonymous image boards, chatrooms or sites like this one to speak their minds, to let it all out. Certain things can weigh heavily on someone's mind, and there are some things you just can't say with your reputation at stake. Hell, why do you think the Alcoholics Anonymous were invented? We're all hiding behind our own facades. If it wasn't for anonymity, especially in the modern age we live in today, we'd probably go insane. To back up my argument, take for example this study done by the Florida State University. [1] It states that anonymity encourages honest reporting in mental health screening tests after combat deployment by US Soldiers.

We all break internet copyright laws, and it'd surprise me if there's someone out there who's never ever broken a single law. Still, anonymity on the internet must be protected, Hell would break loose if on-line namelessness was eliminated. At times, society can be very conservative, and it's often dangerous to make certain statements. The progressive internet allows for absolute freedom of speech.

Interesting debate, your turn.

Responsibility is Key to any new medium, but the Rule of 20 60 20 comes into play.

20 percent of people will use anonymity correctly and it will be good.
60 percent of people will not use, or realise its existence.
20 percent of people will abuse the power and be generally bad.

now the 60 percent in the middle can go either way, either becoming a force for good, or for bad over time.

the question is how much do you trust your fellow man?
As I said before power corrupts and no matter how much you think you can trust people with it, the inevitability is people will abuse it.

Bwild forfeited this round.

I close my arguement with this.

Would anyone debating what we debate on this site, ask in public for someone to come argue with them?
No, you hide behind the facade of an avatar and a name online.

This is not bad, nor is it good.
but it does alienate you, you will never be able to have an interesting conversation with anyone in the real world out of fear of being called weird.

This is anonyminity's fault, if it were not for it, being "weird" would be called being eccentric.
Posted by John_Royals 1 year ago
First round against, an argument I never considered. Awesome. Interested to see how this plays out.
Posted by Bwild 1 year ago
Yeesh, embarrassing grammar mistake. You're quite right. "Anonymity" is the correct spelling.
Posted by treeless 1 year ago
Anonymity is the correct spelling I believe. If you give the "exceptions" of certain situations that anonymity should be restricted, I may accept.