Answer correctly to win! :)

Sometimes debates on here get a little too serious, and as a president, it must be rather difficult and frustrating at times. I would like to lighten up your mood with a fun challenge ;)

I am personally challenging the president of DDO. I will present some questions (Riddles, puzzles, brain teasers, mathematical equations, challenges etc.) and he must attempt, to the best of his abilities to accomplish those tasks.

Since this is a 5 rounded, I will present 5 challenges per round (apart from this one), (meaning 20 in total).

My opponent must give a response to all five challenges within the same "argument", without the help of others or the internet search engines. I will reword riddles and/or brain teasers to minimise his ability to cheat if so >___>

Airmax must succeed in at least 17/20 challenges to win this "debate".

15-16/20 will result in a tie.

14 or less successes will result in a win on my side.

I will give a response, as to whether or not Airmax has answered my challenges correctly, after each round (and in the comments section for the fifth round).

The questions that I present (like riddles or teasers etc.) will have at least one valid answer. Airmax must present at least one valid answer. If he chooses to present more than one answer for the fun of the debate, all answers must be correct. If any response to one question can be proven wrong, that entire question will be counted as wrong (do you get my point? Lol. Hope you get what I mean :/)

First round acceptance only. Any queries, please put in comments section :)

Good Luck Airmax! :D

I accept and would like to thank my opponent for challenging me to this debate.

Good luck.

I thank Airmax for accepted my challenge to this challenge and wish him the best of luck.

Challenge #1:

Emily was sitting at her study table, home alone, on a cold and stormy night. Her parents had taken a flight earlier in the morning to Australia as her grandmother had passed away. She had wanted to follow her parents but she had an important English examination the next day which she could not miss.

The storm was getting heavier by the minute and the wind was howling outside. All this noise made it very hard for her to concentrate. She was on the verge of dozing off when she was shaken alert by a sudden "THUD!" She dismissed it as a window which had been slammed shut by the wind.

She tried to concentrate on her books when she heard faint footsteps. Emily got out of her room and looked around when suddenly, without warning, she was grabbed by the neck. She tried to scream but it came out as a mere whimper as the intruder was pressing hard against her throat with his arm. She tried to free herself from his grip but to no avail.

"Give me all your money!" growled the man who had grabbed her from behind.

"Th-there is none h-here! Please ll-let me go!" cried Emily.

"Don't LIE TO ME!" screamed the increasingly agitated man. She felt the man strengthen his grip around her neck. She said nothing and a few seconds passed by in silence. Suddenly the phone rang which alerted both of them.

"People will get suspicious if I don't answer the phone," said Emily, with a controlled voice. The intruder let her go.

"Alright, but NO funny business, or ELSE!" said the nervous intruder. Emily walked toward the phone. She took a deep breath and calmed herself. She picked up the phone.

"Hey Em! How's the revision going?" said the caller.

"Hey Anna. Thanks for the call. Hey you know those Science notes I lent you last week? Well I really need them back. It would be a great help to me. It's an emergency, so if you could give me them tomorrow it would be great. Please hurry in finding the notes. I need to get back to my books now. Bye," Emily said. She hung up the phone.

"It was wise of you not to say anything," said the intruder, although he was more than a bit confused by her conversation.

"Now TELL ME WHERE THE MONEY IS KEPT!" screamed the thief.

"' my dad's room. The first room on the right. Third drawer," said Emily.

"SHOW me!" said the man, and removed his grip around her neck. She took a big gulp of air and nearly fell. She swallowed hard and said a silent prayer. She walked slowly, in silence, toward her father's room. All of a sudden, they heard police sirens. The intruder froze in his footsteps. He ran to the nearest window and jumped out of it.

Emily ran outside in time to see the intruder being escorted into the car. She saw Anna and she ran toward her and hugged her.

"Smart kids," said the policeman.

What had happened?

Challenge #2:

Detective Drosnin stopped by Ms. Gray's house to inform her that the creep who had been stalking her years ago had just escaped from prison. She seemed to take the news fairly well, and was very polite, though she didn't invite him in.

"You know how demented he is, I'm worried that he'll come after you. Who knows what he might try!" Detective Drosnin said.

"Oh, I'm sure I have nothing to worry about," she replied. But she did sound pretty nervous.

"Would you like me to assign a security detail to you?" he asked.

"Oh, no. I'm a teacher for heaven's sake! Having bodyguards following me around would just scare the students at my school."

"Well, please give me a call or send me an email if you see anything suspicious at all. In fact, send me an email later no matter what, just to let me know that you're alright."

"I will definitely do that!" Ms. Gray replied.

Detective Drosnin got in his car and started back to the station, but after only a few minutes his phone buzzed to inform him that he had an email from Ms. Gray. It read:

This morning I tried a fun new seating style for the kids during the morning assembly. I helped arrange them into rows of twenty one. The kids didn't care, but I really loved it. I liked the second column the best.

He looked at the email and was extremely alarmed with what it said.

Was he just mentally ill or was there a deeper meaning to that email?

Challenge #3:

It is greater than God and more evil than the devil. The poor have it, the rich need it and if you eat it you’ll die. What is it?

A father and son went in their car for a road trip. They got in a car crash. The father died, and the son was badly injured. He needed surgery, but in the hospital when the doctor comes in, the doctor says, “I can’t operate on this boy, he’s my son.” Who’s the doctor?”

Challenge #5:

There was a green house. Inside the green house there was a white house. Inside the white house there was a red house. Inside the red house there were lots of babies. What is it?

All of these challenges will have at least one response that meets all the criteria to be considered as "correct".

Once again I'd like to thank Famer for challenging me to this debate.

I gave some thought throughout the day to a couple of the challenges, while the others I was already familiar with...

Challenge 1

This is a pretty dramatic and scary scenario to start this debate with and the answer can be found in the phone call.
The overly dramatic call about science papers fits in well with the situation but key words stick out for a call about science papers... If one removes everything but a few of these words, Emily's plead for help becomes apparent...

"I really need them back. It would be a great -help- to -me-. It's an -emergency-, so if you could give me them tomorrow it would be great. Please -hurry- in finding the notes. I need to get back to my books now. -Bye-."

If Emily moved the phone a bit, covered the phone slightly, or used the flash button other than when she said these words the person on the other end would only hear: "Help me...Emergency...Hurry...bye.". Anna naturally calls the police and the intruder is arrested.

Challenge 2

This one was actually explained in the message itself, by rearranging the message in rows of 21 to decipher the actual message. I actually tried a bunch of other methods before realizing what should have been obvious.
So if you take the whole message and make it one block of text in rows of 21, the second vertical row spells out "He is here".

Challenge 3

Challenge 4

The boys mother.

Challenge 5

A watermelon.

Congratulations on Airmax for a perfect score of 5/5 right now!

All challenges have been acomplished perfectly (and within a very short time as well).

Current score:

total 5/20

The next challenges are as follows:

Challenge #6:

I am in 2000, 548, and 3652, but not 14, 1700, and 950. What am I?

Challenge #7:

There was a man found on the floor of his house, with a bullet in his head and a gun in his hand. A voice recorder is on the table next to him, with a recently recorded message on it, rewound to the start. The police play the message, to hear the man explaining why he can't face life anymore and then a gunshot is heard. Everyone assumes it was a suicide, except for detective Dirk Gently, who knew it was a murder. How did he now?

Challenge #8:

What is unique about these opening paragraphs of a novel?

If youth, throughout all history, had had a champion to stand up for it; to show a doubting world that a child can think; and, possibly, do it practically; you wouldn’t constantly run across folks today who claim that “a child don’t know anything.”A child’s brain starts functioning at birth; and has, amongst its many infant convolutions, thousands of dormant atoms, into which God has put a mystic possibility for noticing an adult’s act, and figuring out its purport.

Up to about its primary school days a child thinks, naturally, only of play. But many a form of play contains disciplinary factors. “You can’t do this,” or “that puts you out,” shows a child that it must think, practically or fail. Now, if, throughout childhood, a brain has no opposition, it is plain that it will attain a position of “status quo,” as with our ordinary animals. Man knows not why a cow, dog or lion was not born with a brain on a par with ours; why such animals cannot add, subtract, or obtain from books and schooling, that paramount position which Man holds today.

But a human brain is not in that class. Constantly throbbing and pulsating, it rapidly forms opinions; attaining an ability of its own; a fact which is startlingly shown by an occasional child “prodigy” in music or school work. And as, with our dumb animals, a child’s inability convincingly to impart its thoughts to us, should not class it as ignorant.

Upon this basis I am going to show you how a bunch of bright young folks did find a champion; a man with boys and girls of his own; a man of so dominating and happy individuality that Youth is drawn to him as is a fly to a sugar bowl. It is a story about a small town. It is not a gossipy yarn; nor is it a dry, monotonous account, full of such customary “fill-ins” as “romantic moonlight casting murky shadows down a long, winding country road.” Nor will it say anything about tinklings lulling distant folds; robins carolling at twilight, nor any “warm glow of lamplight” from a cabin window. No. It is an account of up-and-doing activity; a vivid portrayal of Youth as it is today; and a practical discarding of that worn-out notion that “a child don’t know anything.”

Challenge #9:

A dagger thrust at my own heart
Dictates the way I'm swayed
Left I stand, and right I yield
To the twisting of the blade.
What am I?

Challenge #10:

The Fisherman's mystery:

One day, a fisherman (real person) went out fishing. He loads and loads of fish.

At one point, he pulled the line and saw a fish on the line that neither struggled nor tried to save itself at all, but the fisherman wasn't surprised, WHY?

Good Luck!

*Fingers crossed Airmax will have difficulty on these ones* ==;

Challenge #6:

February 29th.

Challenge #7:

The recording was rewound.

Challenge #8:

The arrangement of the words.

Challenge #9:

A lock.

Challenge #10:

It was dead.

So far Airmax has responded with two incorrect answers.

Challenge #7 and #8 are answered incorrectly.

Challenge #7: Detective Dirk Gently heard the recording just like everyone else. He did not hear anything that anyone else didn’t hear. The correct answer: Dirk Gently murdered the man. The fact is that the challenge specifically mentions that he KNEW it was murder. He murdered the man and only because of that, can he be so certain that it is a murder. .

Challenge #8: Incorrect. The thing strange about those paragraphs is that it does not contain the letter “e”. Look through it all again and you’ll see that I’m right J

So far Airmax's score is:

Total score:

The next challenges:

Challenge #11:

On a hot summer’s day, two detectives had a walk together at a park and decided to walk back home (they shared a room within an apartment). On the way back home, they saw the most bizarre thing. Through a window, they saw a man being hanged by the neck. They rushed to the scene and could not open the door. Rushing around the house from every side, they were not able to find an entrance.

As a last resort, they broke through the window to try and rescue the man. Unfortunately, the man was long dead. They looked at the colour of his face and assumed he died quite a while ago. They saw a note, a suicide note as the two detectives assumed. It read:

“Life has brought more suffering to me than it has gifts. I am unable escape the horrors of life, and have resolved to killing myself. Being bullied throughout my entire childhood, I still have no friends to this very day. I have no regrets to make.

Most people would say, something like ‘I don’t want to leave’, however I am very happy to have left this place. I look forward to what the afterlife has to offer for me. Bye----

James Martin”

According to the note, it seemed to have been a suicide, yet the man’s feet were more than a metre of the ground and had nothing from the bottom to support himself (no chair or table for him to step onto) to put his neck around the rope. No windows/doors/locks were broken into and the man had no exterior scars or cuts to suggest he was stabbed or shot.

Did this man actually get murdered or did he actually commit suicide? And how was it done? (No, the answer is not him jumping a metre high and aiming his neck inside the rope!)

Challenge #12:

You are somehow stuck at the core a massive steel box, 20 metres thick from every side from where you are standing (20 metres thick from your above your head, to your right, left, front, back and bottom). The only items that you have in front of you are:

- A Rubik’s cube

- A small plate of food

- One glass of water

- A table

- A rusty saw

- Tape

You are completely enclosed and due to the amount of space you have with you, it is likely that you will suffocate within 20 minutes. How do you get out before you die?

- Shout out for help (it is 20 metres thick from every side you are standing from. That means the cube is 40 cubic metres) as sound will not penetrate far enough.

- No one can see you

- No one else can help you

Challenge #13:

An old man had 5 sons. One day, he died without any known reason. In his will, he wrote, “Only the smartest child will take my valuable diamond as their own. It is inside a cylinder with thousands of squares around it”.

All of the sons thought it was a good joke expect for the wisest one who took off in bolt action into the house and retrieved the diamond. Where was it?

Challenge #14:

There are 5 houses in 5 different colors in a row. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage. Other facts:
1. The Brit lives in the red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The green house is on the immediate left of the white house.
5. The green house's owner drinks coffee.
6. The owner who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The owner living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The owner who keeps the horse lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill.
12. The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who drinks water.

Question is: Who owns the fish?

Challenge #15:

What am I?

There is a donkey
which happens to be standing behind another donkey
I am behind that other donkey
and for some reason; the entire nation is standing at the end

What am I?

I'd like to thank my opponent.

It seems like there is some controversy regarding challenge 7. I'll concede to being wrong though as getting it right wouldn't be a deciding factor in this debate either way.

Challenge #11

Yes. The man was a wizard.

Challenge #12

Challenge #13

In the house.

Challenge #14

The Swede.

Challenge #15

Behind that other donkey.

It appears my opponent has answered all challenges incorrectly. Correct answers:

Challenge #11:

The man did indeed suicide. He stood on a talk chunk of ice (one at least a metre tall based on the case of this challenge). Naturally, he probably did kick the massive chunk of ice for the suicide. Once he dies, the ice would have melted. The fact that this challenge did mention that it was a “hot summers day”, the ice would have melted and even evaporated before the two detectives discovered the suicide.

Challenge #12:

Not sure how “4” has anything to do with the challenge really. The correct answer is based on something as follows:

Using the rusty saw, you cut the table in half. Once you have done this, you have two table parts (two halves of a table). Once you have these two halves, you tape it back together to form a whole (whole = hole. It is a challenge based on word play and homophones). Once you have done that, you crawl through the hole and outside of the massive cube.

Challenge #13:

“Only the smartest child will take my valuable diamond as their own. It is inside a cylinder with thousands of squares around it

The only answer is a toilet paper roll. The toilet paper roll is a cylinder shape, and the tissues around it are in the shape of squares.

Challenge #14:

The German sits in his Green House, smoking his Prince cigars, drinking coffee, and watching his FISH.

The rest go like this-
1st House: Yellow, Norwegian, Water, Cats, Dunhill
2nd House: Blue, Dane, Tea, Horse, Blends
3rd House: Red, Brit, Milk, Birds, Pall Malls
4th House: Green, German, Coffee, FISH, Prince
5th House: White, Swede, Beer, Dogs, Bluemasters

Challenge #15:

It goes like this:

Asss-asss-i-nation, which fits all criteria. (suppose to be two s's on both, however it is a profanity, meaning I am not allowed to.

Current score:

Total score:

The next challenges are as follows: (I will provide the responses to Airmax’s answers in the comments section once he has finished).

Challenge #16:

You will know that I am coming
From the jingle of my bell,
But exactly who I am is not an easy thing to tell.

Children, they adore me
for they find me jolly,
but I do not see them when the halls are decked with holly.

My job often leaves me frozen,
I am a man that all should know,
But I do not do business in times of sleet or ice or snow.

I travel much on business,
But no reindeer haul me around,
I do all my traveling firmly on the ground.

I love the time of Christmas,
But that's not my vocational season,
And I assure that is because of a sound economic reason.

Challenge #17:

Grammar Manor once again provided the perfect backdrop for the annual Punctuation Ball, hosted by Lord Charles of Colon and his dainty wife Sandra of Semicolon. Herbert Hash conducted the large brass band who were playing a slow song as the assembled punctuation marks danced serif in serif.

The evening, as it did in the years before, again was filled with a sense of glorious opulence and elegance which the punctuation marks would remember fondly. However, at the stroke of midnight this atmosphere was shattered as the many lights in the ballroom went out. Everything was submerged into darkness in an instant.

There was much commotion as the guests tried to work out what had happened. After a few moments, Quentin Question Mark found the switch and restored light to the room - and found Lord Charles in the middle of the dance floor, lying in a pool of blood. The distraught party guests called in the police to investigate, and the force sent their best man: Sergeant Arthur A. Ampersand.

Sergeant Ampersand surveyed the scene and spoke to the guests before drawing up a list of his top five murder suspects:

- Alan the Asterisk
- Carlos Comma
- Edward Ellipsis
- Percy Parentheses
- Trevor Tilde

"I have followed all necessary leads to find out who murdered Lord Charles," said Sergeant Ampersand, "and I conclude that it's a mystery!" Before the guests could comment, Sergeant Ampersand checked his notes and arrested the culprit.

Who murdered Lord Charles?

Tip: "Listen" to what Sergeant Ampersand says. It is a trick puzzle!

Challenge #18:

This one is fairly simple:

During winter, Sherlock Holmes was reading over his notes for a murder case, when suddenly, he heard a snowball crash through his window, breaking it to pieces. He rushed to the window to find out who it was. He saw 3 boys from his neighbourhood running away. Their names were James Crimson, Mark Crimson and Richard Crimson.

The next day, he got a note on his door which read “? Crimson. He broke your window.”

What does that note mean?

Challenge #19:

A man was specially having a house constructed for him. The constructor asked the man what he wants his house to be like, and the man answered:

“I want the house to be of a standard build where all walls from the outside will be facing directly southwards.”

In a months’ time, the man was happily living in his new house.

How is this possible?

Challenge #20:

During a visit to an asylum, a visitor asked the Director what the criteria is that defines if a patient should be institutionalized.

"Well," said the Director, "we fill up a bathtub. Then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup, and a bucket to the patient and ask the patient to empty the bathtub."

Okay, here's your test:
1. Would you use the spoon?
2. Would you use the teacup?
3. Would you use the bucket?

"Oh, I understand," said the visitor. "A normal person would choose the bucket, as it is larger than the spoon and teacup."
What was the director's response? (The answer to has to make the most sense)

Challenge 16

Ice cream vendor

Challenge 17

Edward Ellipsis

Challenge 18

-Question 'Mark- Crimson'.

Challenge 19

Challenge 20

A normal person would just pull the tub plug.
Posted by zebrafashionista 3 years ago
I think if there ever was a debate similar to this the person answering should have to explain it and even if it is not the answer you had in mind, if the explanation made sense then they should get the answer! That seems more fair than this style but all together a good debate!
Posted by Paulh 3 years ago
Nice idea. If you have more puzzles then id like it very much if you would send me a similar debate. Even if I lose id love to try
Posted by Deadlykris 3 years ago
"it is inside a cylinder with thousands of squares around it"
"(the diamond) is inside a cylinder with thousands of squares around (the diamond)"
Posted by famer 3 years ago
@Bull_Diesel, considering you are the only person who has a problem with the way I hosted this debate, it'd be best if you didn't even look at it to save any trouble. Considering Airmax himself doesn't even have a problem with it does say something.

As for the results, he answer 4/5 of the last 5 correctly. #19 was answered incorrectly. The right answer is that he built a house directly on top of the north pole and thus, every single wall, no matter where it would be, points directly towards the south pole.

From the looks of it, Airmax ended up with a total score of 12/20, which results in a win for me, as stated in the rules in R1.
Posted by bossyburrito 3 years ago
7? Bravo! I never would have gotten that one.
Posted by Bull_Diesel 3 years ago
I figured out where famer learned this game.

I think I can host the next one.

Format: Pose a question, allow opponent to answer, "Nope! The other one!"

Game over.
Posted by Bull_Diesel 3 years ago
The consumer market has many different size rolls. Some rolls only have 200 sheets! Some of the sheets are smaller than the standard industrial size of 4.5″ x4.5″. I"ve seen sheets as small as 4′x 3.8″. Be careful. Small rolls have to be changed more often and generally do not cost less. Don"t get fooled!
Posted by famer 3 years ago

In the case of that challenge, the word "Thousands" was used figuratively to imply "a large amount".

Plus, it said thousands of squares around the cylinder, not inside the cylinder, so unfortunately a salt shaker would not be a valid answer :p
Posted by Deadlykris 3 years ago
In regards to this:

Challenge #13:

"Only the smartest child will take my valuable diamond as their own. It is inside a cylinder with thousands of squares around it"

There are not thousands of sheets on a toilet roll. The largest consumer-grade rolls may have a thousand; the standard is 350-500 sheets. The diamond was in the salt shaker, which can have an estimated million tiny, square grains of salt. :D
Vote Placed by Deadlykris 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: As per the rules set forth, Con wins with 12/20 answered correctly by Pro.