WOLF.J
Emilrose

Anti-Semitism: Why the hate? - Opponent:Jewish

Emilrose

WOLF.J

Con

R1 is acceptance, opponent needs to argue against anti semitic behaviour, then we go from there.
Emilrose

Pro

It seems that my opponent incorectly selected 'Con' for himself, nevertheless I accept this debate and will of course argue against 'anti semitic behaviour'.
WOLF.J

Con

Ok so as mentioned in the comments, this is a conversation rather than a debate, and I'll be taking an unbiased impartial stance.

I'm unbiased because I'm a British Indian and there are not many actual Jewish people in West London, so i don't quite understand their culture. North/East London on the other hand is famous for being antisemitic because the Jewish population is higher there.

Anyways... apart from the whole aryan race complex i don't understand why people hate jews. Could you please elaborate on this emil and give your opinion on why they hate?
Emilrose

Pro

I will be arguing against antisemitism - whilst providing reasons as to why it exists. Note that some of these aren't my opinions exactly, but rather the opinions of people throughout the past 2000+ years that expressed antisemitic views.

Opening Argument:

Firstly, it's important to define what a 'Jew' actually is. Generally people consider a Jewish person to be a.) an individual belonging to the Jewish faith, and b.) a Jewish individual who ethnically identifies as 'Jewish' and has been born of generations of Jews. Overall, both 'a' and 'b' correspond with another and a person that is referred to as a 'Jew' is usually done so because they are religiously Jewish, and, have a Jewish heritage.

As is fairly well-known, Jews formulated their religion in ancient Israel - this is supposed to be the Iand that God gave them, and the land that they lived in for around 2000 years - until, they were expelled by the Romans after years of not being able to politically govern themselves. Prior to Roman occupation, the Jews did govern themselves - they had their own set of kings, their own political/legal rules, and had full autonomous rule over Israel. Then the Romans invaded, and that political control was lost. The Jews were still able to practice their religion and have their own religious ruling bodies (known as the Sanhedrin and Pharisees), but they couldn't make any *domestic* decisions relating to their country and if they rebelled against the Roman occupation, they were killed. Eventually, the Jews did rebel en-masse and tried to re-take their country, but they were deaf rated by the Romans - this is what caused the Jewish dispersion, and is primarily why many Jews settled in Europe.

Now, to answer why their religion and the early beginnings relate to antisemitism, one has to outline two things - with the first one being the claim to God that the Jewish people made, and the second being the death of Jesus - these, were major components in why people were/are antisemtic.

The Jews claim to have a special connection with God, in the Hebrew bible, it states that the Jews are 'Gods chosen people' - which, obviously excludes others as being his first choice of people. In regards to the second factor, the Jews have historically been blamed for the death of Jesus Christ, as it was the Sanhedrin (Jewish ruling body) that disapproved of him - as he was, from their perspective, a blasphemer who was falsely claiming to be the Messiah and attempting to change certain Jewish practices. He was found guilty of this and given to the Romans - who executed him for political rebellion.

When Christianity became the main religion in Europe, Jews received much blame and were largely mistrusted by most non-Jews. They were expelled en-masse from countries such as Spain and Portugal, and had to endure continual accusations, which led to numerous episodes of violence and pograms in almost every European country. The Jews had settled in large numbers in the Russian Empire - in countries such as Poland, the Ukraine, Belarus and Lithuania - and of course, Russia itself. The Balkans (Hungary, Romania, Croatia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Serbia, etc.) also had prominent Jewish communities. Some Jews migrated further west to countries like Germany and France - which although generally more advanced, also used to subject Jews to persecution at various points, namely in Medieval times, and the 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. It was not unusual for Jews to be accused of blood libels, to be killed now and then, etc. The working class Jews, were usually the most vulnerable. Countries in the Russian empire in the 18th and 19th century would be a fine example of this - Jews were often killed because they were blamed for negative things that happened - such as when there was not enough money. Poorer Jews suffered because this, as they received very little help from their Russian neighbors and were more or less expected to fiend for themselves during hard times. It's been said that at times, entire Jewish families within the East, had to share one pair of shoes during the harshest winter months because they had such little money - it was this that actually led to Jewish interest in communism within the Russian Empire, as it appeared to be the only hope.

On the other hand, there were Jews (namely further west in Germany and France) who were fairly wealthy - these Jews were associated with capitalism and greed, which was a major part of Nazi propaganda. The Germans thought it was unfair that Jews be wealthy, while so many of them were suffering; naturally, this doesn't defend what later happened, but it was contributing factor in why Germans believed in propaganda used by the Nazis and blamed the Jews for their economic issues.
WOLF.J

Con

Well Emil clearly knows her history, and so I believe she gives a credit-worthy account of how/why Jewish people are discriminated against. There was one point in her argument that I was not aware of, and that was the Sanhedrin's' disapproval of Jesus. That makes perfect sense, and of course Christians would naturally despise them for this. However, just like Islam, both Judaism, and Christianity, clearly want to be the dominant Abrahamic religion. What I'm trying to say, is it all religious factions are suspect to hypocrisy, so don't judge someone based on religious identity, but by personality.

I'll now let Emil respond to any comments or expand on her arguments, and then I'll pose a follow up question.
Emilrose

Pro

Thanks Con.

I would further add that in a modern context, the Israel-Palestine conflict is also a source for antisemitism - in particular the antisemitism that is directed by Muslims towards Jews. Of course, not all people belonging to the Islamic faith are antisemtic but in the 21st century, Muslims constitute the largest demographic group that has expressed the most dislike towards Jews.
WOLF.J

Con

Hello emil, I think we should end this debate after this round because not many people are commenting, so its sort of dead. We can start debating on something else. Anyways my follow up questions are, do you believe Palestine should (/ shouldn't) be independent from Israel?, and how would you respond to Anti-Semites arguing that Jews control the economy n that Jews exaggerate holocaust figures?

explain your opinions, thx.
Emilrose

Pro

Okay, but instead of forfeiting the next round we should at least write something. I'd also ask that we keep in mind that this is a debate - and as I've provided certain insights, voters should vote Pro.

Anyway, to answer your questions:

-I don't know what the solution is for Israel and Palestine, my opinion on the conflict is mostly neutral.

-I consider those kind of claims (on Jews controlling the economy and exaggerating holocaust statistics) to be baseless and without credibility. Figures from the holocaust are around six million (so they are not exaggerated). If you include all the mass shootings that took place across Eastern Europe, the deaths in ghettos, etc. in addition to the number of those who died at concentration camps, the figures make numerical sense. [1.] https://www.ushmm.org...
WOLF.J

Con

End of convo, lets start debating something new
Emilrose

Pro

Okay. Depending on the topic, we can start a new debate for that.

Vote Pro.
Posted by whiteflame 4 months ago
whiteflame
If you want to report your opponent, be my guest. Their account, however, is separate from this debate. That's not a reason to remove a vote from someone else, even if it is in their favor.
Posted by WOLF.J 4 months ago
WOLF.J
multiple accounts
Posted by whiteflame 4 months ago
whiteflame
How, exactly, did he do that?
Posted by WOLF.J 4 months ago
WOLF.J
why not, pro violated the website rules
Posted by whiteflame 4 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: SamStevens// Mod action: NOT Removed<

3 points to Pro (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Arguments to Pro as she was the only debater who presented them. I understand this was more of a discussion than a debate, but Pro should be credited for knowing her stuff(providing a historical context and defining what a Jew is) and giving Con some answers to his questions.

[*Reason for non-removal*] This debate is over 1 month past the end of the voting period, and therefore is no longer subject to vote moderation.
************************************************************************
Posted by judaism 5 months ago
judaism
Anti-Semitism is a bunch of bogus. We refuted the theory long ago that the rabbis were racist and the like.
Posted by WOLF.J 5 months ago
WOLF.J
Emil this is a convo, you know that! No one is debating against you, why would ppl vote against me, I ain't said anything apart from pose questions, that's very naughty of you!lol
Posted by WOLF.J 5 months ago
WOLF.J
Il post tomo, just waiting to see if more people comment
Posted by Jawad_aslam 5 months ago
Jawad_aslam
Emilrose let me tell you why the hate, please correct me if i am wrong. Ok fine you want to take jerusalum but in that way you have killed many innocent palestines and your prime minsiter had also dedlared that in his speech some years back. You also have set labour camps that palistines are forced to be sent to work. You have violated many international laws and whenever you are questioned in the united nations, usa veto over it and that is what is protecting you. You are not held accountable for your acts because of usa
Posted by Jawad_aslam 5 months ago
Jawad_aslam
Vote Placed by SamStevens 5 months ago
SamStevens
WOLF.JEmilroseTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments to Pro as she was the only debater who presented them. I understand this was more of a discussion than a debate, but Pro should be credited for knowing her stuff(providing a historical context and defining what a Jew is) and giving Con some answers to his questions.