tishawnna
imabench

Anti-bullying laws are a bit too much!

imabench

tishawnna

Con

A six year old child calls another child ugly. Should this child be charged with bullying? I would say absolutely NOT! So where do we draw the line with the anti-bullying law? Who decide what exactly can be considered bullying? I believe that our society has forgotten how to teach our children to love themselves despite what someone else might say! It is a shame that children are taking their lives because someone is bullying them. The recent rise in adolescence suicide is evidence of this. I believe that these issues are solely based on a child's self-esteem. I think the responsibility lies on the parents to teach their children how to love themselves. It is silly that simple childhood name calling can cause a child to be arrested. What happened to the old saying of teaching a child to have "tough skin?" No, instead we blame the school and everyone else for not protecting the child. Children need to be taught how to have high self-esteem. We have become a generation that seems to lack time and interest in our children. A parent's daily reminder that a child is pretty, or smart, or has nice eye, can help build a child's self-esteem. Yet, instead we work long hours trying to achieve this American dream of the rags to riches ideology. We now choose to blame the system for our lack of involvement.
imabench

Pro

For the record,
Con is against Anti-Bullying laws
Pro is Pro Anti-Bullying Laws

"A six year old child calls another child ugly. Should this child be charged with bullying? I would say absolutely NOT"
Thats not considered bullying....

"A person is bullied when he or she is exposed, repeatedly and over time, to negative actions on the part of one or more other persons, and he or she has difficulty defending himself or herself."
http://www.olweus.org...

"Who decide what exactly can be considered bullying?"
The parents of kids who killed themselves from being bullied by others.....

"I believe that our society has forgotten how to teach our children to love themselves.... I believe that these issues are solely based on a child's self-esteem"
Time out, you think all bullying cases happens because the one being bullied has self esteem problems!??!!? People get bullied because of many reasons, most often it is because one bigger person wants to force authority over another by using size to his advantage.... Not because the one being bullied "needs to learn to love themselves"

" I think the responsibility lies on the parents to teach their children how to love themselves"
Teaching a child to love themselves isnt going to offset being called a cunt or a f*g by others at school by the same person every day.....

" It is silly that simple childhood name calling can cause a child to be arrested"
Unless it prevents a suicide or the kid being abused from shooting up the school, the kids behind the Columbine shooting were bullied and look what happened.....

" What happened to the old saying of teaching a child to have "tough skin?"
They got a gun and killed themselves or other students............

"No, instead we blame the school and everyone else for not protecting the child."
Yeah because they allowed it to happen, refused to take action, ignored it, or even encouraged it in some cases when they could have ended the conflict before a disaster happened.....

"Children need to be taught how to have high self-esteem"
Getting your a** whipped after school every day by the same person has a drastic effect on a persons psychic that having high self esteem cant offset.

Pro has a seriously warped idea of why bullying happens (blaming the person being bullied instead of the bully) in the first place but anti bullying laws exist to try to prevent these cases of bullying from leading to someone committing suicide, bringing a weapon to school to try to kill the bully, bringing a weapon or a bomb to a school to kill as many as possible, etc. Anti-bullying laws are required to help protect kids who cant protect themselves from harassment or physical abuse that cant be fought off with some hippie BS like "telling a child they have pretty eyes"
tishawnna

Con

First of all, let me correct you on the idea that I blamed the victims of bullying! I said that it was the parent's responsibility to have a more active role in their children's lives to help protect them! And the idea of having parents whose children committed suicide from being bullied is just like putting tainted jurors in the jury box to deliberate on a case. These people have suffered a great lost and no matter what their children are gone forever! So do you really think that revenge is not in our human nature? Do you really believe that these people not have some bias while making these laws? People do get bullied for many reasons and my point was to help build their self esteem so that simple things such as name calling (not saying that's the only reason, just an example) would not be so detrimental to them! I said that parents need to teach their children that yes the world does have ignorant and racist people out there! People that use mean, ugly words to make another feel inferior! My point of saying of all this is to show the important role that the parents MUST play before it get to the next level!!!
imabench

Pro

" These people have suffered a great lost and no matter what their children are gone forever!"
Wait a minute, you think that anti-bullying laws are an act of revenge by parents??????? What kind of bullsh*t logic is that, thats like saying that there shouldnt be laws against murder or rape since the families of those who got murdered or raped are just trying to seek revenge!!!

" Do you really believe that these people not have some bias while making these laws?"
Yep.

"My point of saying of all this is to show the important role that the parents MUST play before it get to the next level!!!"
Parents cant stop bullying from happening though, that responsibility comes from the school and the bullies themselves to not bully others. Schools that know bullying is happening and do nothing to stop it is unjust, and people who bully other kids to the point where they kill themselves is unjust too, therefore we must fight bullying by threatening severe punishment for bullying and punishing people who already did cause kids to kill themselves. Parents can only do so much to prevent bullying, and anti bully laws exist to punish those who caused people to kill themselves or their peers and to prevent other cases of bullying from happening.

Jasmine Mcclain was a black girl who killed herself because she was recklessly teased by other white students for dressing poorly. Now why do you think these kids get away with causing someone to murder themselves Con? Anti bully laws exist to prevent bullying and punish those who do bully others, why in this case do you think these white students should get away with causing this black girl to kill herself Con???

http://www.askkissy.com...

For the record, Jasmine was 10 years old when she died,

tishawnna

Con

tishawnna forfeited this round.
imabench

Pro

FF all arguments

Vote Pro

(remember Con is against bully laws, Pro is for bully laws)
Posted by nicole123 4 years ago
nicole123
i understand where she is coming from especially when schools such as New Jersey take the laws to a whole new level. Such as a child being charged for bullying by simply pointing out that a student it his class has head-lice which i do admit is inconsiderate but there are many cases in which these laws have been used as a "cookie-cutter" guideline for reporting bullying and every case is different and should be dealt with accordingly. I think the government should not try to make bullying illegal because like it or not it is human nature.
Posted by James_4077 5 years ago
James_4077
people need to understand that everything isnt a form of bullying! Bullying is now incompassing things kids & teens should have been taught a while ago:
1- Everyone don't like you
2- Everyone won't like you
3- Get over it
Social exclusion boills down to people who for some reason dont like you dont want anything to do with you and shouldn't be forced to have anything to do with you. So find some folk that you like and they like you and have a good time.
That's what I learned and it is working!
Posted by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
agreed
Posted by Zaradi 5 years ago
Zaradi
I'm gonna say one thing and one thing only. It takes a lot to piss me off and get me offended.
This really fvcking got me offended.
Anti-bullying laws aren't too much, they're not enough.
That's all I'll say.
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
tishawnnaimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro refuted Con's arguments, did more than enough to win. I think this is kind of obvious.