Any age can love

Hello, this is my first debate and I want to debate something that I believe and no amount of proof could convince me to believe differently. The old saying is "your too young to love" I DO NOT believe that at all and will never believe that. I want my opponent to prove to me that there is a "age" were you able to feel love. The first round is acceptance, the second, third and fourth round is arguments and the fifth round is you conclusion. there is no rules, you can bring up political, emotional or spiritual proof. Good Luck :)

Sure, I'll take this on.
I will assume a few things while taking this debate:

1) The BOP will be on the pro to prove that any 'age' can feel love. If I disprove his case, then I ought to win the round.
2) Sources will be optional for this debate. If you wish to have an evidence-heavy debate, inform me in your next round and I will adapt like-wise.

Next, I would also like to clarify as to what seems like a misconception of what my opponent thinks the statement "You are too young to love" means (note, this isn't an argument, only clarifying on the resolution, so I'm not breaking the rules of first round acceptance). The statement does not directly adress age, but rather the maturity, or rather immaturity, that comes with youth.

My argument will take the form of a few arguments:

1. There is a certain level of maturity that one must reach in order to be able to "love".

2a. Love is too vague a term to be definable, regardless of the attempts to do so.
2b. The definitions of love are subjective based upon a person's experiences in life.

With that, I turn it over to the pro for the opening argument.

To the Con, we do not need a evidence-heavy debate scene the theory of love is mostly subjective.

1. According to Love is define as a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person and a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
Love can be felt by anybody.

Love can be felt by any age due to the fact that little kids can love there parents. One can have affection for there parents that nobody can argue.

2. On a religious stand point, as young as a 6 year old believes in God and God is love according to 1 John 4:16 : "God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him." meaning that if God is love and we as humans have the power to love, we can at lease love God by any age.

3. Love for a friend is a powerful type of love that no amount of evil can break. When a child loves a friend for any reason. That child will stand by his or her friend to the end. Through the up's and down's of a friendship, love is the glue that can hold it together through the tough times.

4. First love. For example, a 13 year old can truly love there girl friend if the chemistry is there. Love is when u are willing to give up your last meal for your mate when there is not anything else to eat. love is when no matter how much drama or problems in one's life, one can still talk to that person with the whole truth without trouble Love is when no matter what the people say abut how unorthodox the relationship may seem, they can ride out the storm of life. Love does not need a age requirement and anyone can feel love, now matter what age.

It looks like my opponent seems to have drifted slightly from the actual meaning of the resolution. This round will be for a) getting us back on track and b) disprovng my opponent's case.

Let's start with getting back on track with the actual purpose it seems that this debate was founded on, which was the motherhood saying "You're too young to love". My opponent seems to think, for the most part, this makes it impossible for us to feel love to our parents or friends, but this is inconsistent with the actual phrase. The phrase is connotatively meant for those who are young in age (meaning 12-14 or 15) who think that they have found the love of their life in some random girl. Thusly, I will propose a counter-definition to 'love'.

Love, as defined by Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, means attraction based on sexual desires. Since both sources are equally credible, we must look to resolutional reasons to prefer a definition over another. You're going to be preferring my definition because it is more in line with the actual resolution and the meaning of the saying in question. This definition is a massive blow against my opponent, as it makes a lot of his arguments invalid to the resolution. Those I will go through now.

R1: Definition of love

As I offered a counter-definition and reasons to prefer my definition, his definition is invalid, thus making the point of this argument invalid.

R2: We can love God

Unless we're willing to get in bed with Jesus and 'do the do', this point holds no relevance to the resolution.

R3: I love my friends!

You willing to get it on with them? No? Not relevant.

R4: Our first love!

Now here's where we actually have a point that's relevant to the resolution. But even this point has a lot of problems with it. I will refer to a point I brought up that I would talk about in the last round, which is a maturity requirement to truly understand love.

While it may be true that a 13 year old could potentially fall in love with a girl he runs into in the hallway, it's highly unlikely that they have the maturity to feel it. The younger a person is, the less maturity, on average, that the person possesses. Maturity is an important thing to consider in any relationship because even if they have the most passionate love for one another, the simplest fight over something as small as one loaning the other a pencil for a scan-tron test could rip them apart forever. Love needs maturity to fully flourish to it's maximum potential, and those of younger age do not have the maturity required to meet this.

Also, I feel it necessary to remind the crowd of one important detail. The pro's BOP is to prove that ANY age can feel this sexual desire. As this was not specifically adressed in my opponent's last speech, I will set the age range required to fully fulfill the resolution from the moment a baby leaves the mother's womb to the moment one dies. The pro must prove that anywhere in that range, from the very beginning to the very end, one can feel this sexual desire that the resolution talks about. Since I'm sure we can agree that infants and toddlers cannot feel a sexual desire of any sort, the resolution is easily negated.

Thusly, vote con.

jcmcmcjc forfeited this round.

A forfeit? Sad day.
Again, prefer my definition, extend all of my arguments, and vote con.

jcmcmcjc forfeited this round.

Again? Haven't we already gone through this?
Again, extend all of my arguments and refutations.

jcmcmcjc forfeited this round.

Laaaaaaaaaame sauce.
Oh well. Extend all my arguments and vote con.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Not true. I can simply challenge it and point out why his definition doesn't work for the resolution and give reasons to prefer my definition, as I already have.
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
@Con Pro already provided a definition with a source, you can't change it.
Vote Placed by thett3 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: thett3