Randomknowledge
solo

Anyone can be a celebrity

Con Tied Pro

Randomknowledge

Con

As has been said in previous debates on this website, I disagree that "Celebrities are overrated," or "anyone can be a celebrity."

I like to keep my opening statements quite short, and as the topic is quite straightforward, i will keep this clarification short.

I am arguing the side that not just anyone can be a celebrity, there a number of factors that contribute to fame and stardom.

Thank You.
solo

Pro

Thanks for creating this debate, Randomknowledge! Best of luck!

In Round One, you wrote:

<>

I would first like to submit the definition of celebrity, as told by the American Heritage Dictionary:

ce�leb�ri�ty Pronunciation Key [suh-leb-ri-tee]

–noun, plural -ties for 1.
1. a famous or well-known person.
2. fame; renown.

I think anyone can become a celebrity and many people become celebrities all the time. One does not even require talent to become a celebrity.

Paris Hilton became a celebrity because she was born into a wealthy family, but she didn't do anything to earn her initial celebrity. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Scott Peterson was a nobody until he became a suspect in the killing of his wife and unborn child, of which he was later found guilty. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Terri Schiavo did not do anything, whatsoever, but became a major, hot topic celebrity in the USA because society chose to let her starve to death, instead of doing the humane thing. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Celebrity not only can be achieved by just about anyone, but it is often thrust onto individuals, often leaving the person with no/little say in the matter.
Randomknowledge

Con

Hello, solo and thank you for accepting.

I will rebut your examples of Terri Schiavo, Scott Peterson, and Paris Hilton. These each deserve their own rebuttal. The french city first.

Paris Hilton: She was born into an incredibly wealthy and influential family, and by doing this and OTHER STUPID THINGS (I.E DUI, jail). Without being born into one of the largest hotel chains in the country, she would have been a nobody.

Now for the feeding tube national controversy:

Terri Schiavo: She collapsed and was rushed to the hospital, losing oxygen on the way, causing severe brain damage that caused a nationwide controversy about her well-being and the decision of her parents vs. The decision of her husband, the person she chose to care for her over the people that were legally responsible for caring for her. Her husband wanted her feeding tube removed, but the parents thought she was still conscious, so they insisted she keep on living in pain.

She became a celebrity because of the people around her, much like paris hilton. She had so many different opinions around her that it caused a national controversy, thus bringing her family unwanted and national fame. Some people associated with her might have wanted celebrity hood to overtake her, so that others would take up her cause. This was not an unpredicted and out-of-the-blue celebrity hood.

Last but not least, the wife and unborn child killer (alleged).

Scott Peterson: He supposedly killed his wife and his unborn baby. His fame comes from being a serious and nationally televised criminal. He supposedly killed, books were written about him, and he went to jail.

I wish to quote from the wikipedia page you gave me the link to:

"Initially, Peterson requested court-appointed counsel and the Stanislaus County Public Defender's office was appointed to represent him. Chief Deputy Public Defender Kent Faulkner and Deputy Public Defender Maureen Keller were the attorneys assigned to the case. Subsequently, Peterson indicated that he had sufficient funds to hire private counsel and attorney Mark Geragos took over his representation.

On January 20, 2004, due to intense media attention and increasing hostility to Peterson in the Modesto area, a judge moved Peterson's trial from Modesto to Redwood City, California.

The trial, the People of the State of California vs. Scott Peterson, began in June 2004 and was followed closely by the media. The lead prosecutor was Rick Distaso, and Mark Geragos led Peterson's defense.

Prosecution witness Amber Frey engaged her own attorney, Gloria Allred, to protect her from the news media. Allred was not bound by the gag order imposed on everyone else involved in the trial. Although she maintained that her client had no opinion as to whether Peterson was guilty, Allred was openly sympathetic to the prosecution. She appeared frequently on television news programs during the trial,[16] and seemed to criticize the defense at every opportunity. Allred was key in keeping many facts about her client's past from the public eye.[17] Some claim[citation needed] that she was instrumental in turning public opinion against Peterson. Amber Frey's father, Ron, also engaged a lawyer, in an attempt to be released from the gag order.[18]"

More specifically when it talks about the media and the impact of this Amber Frey person. Due to the never-lacking-of-presence media, and the intensity of Ms. Frey, the entire country found out about this trial and its happenings.

Thus pushing Scott Peterson into celebrity hood.

Terri Schiavo, Paris Hilton, and Scott Peterson were all "celebrities" (by your definition), but were that because of something. None of these people were nobody's before they became celebrities. By my definition of Celebrity (wordnet, dictionary.com), none of these people are celebrities:

the state or quality of being widely honored and acclaimed.

Thank you and I await your rebuttal.
solo

Pro

<>

Probably, but you have agreed that money can by celebrity.

<
Terri Schiavo: She collapsed and was rushed to the hospital, losing oxygen on the way, causing severe brain damage that caused a nationwide controversy about her well-being and the decision of her parents vs. The decision of her husband, the person she chose to care for her over the people that were legally responsible for caring for her. Her husband wanted her feeding tube removed, but the parents thought she was still conscious, so they insisted she keep on living in pain.>>

So far, so good.

<>

Nothing like Paris Hilton, as she was not wealthy and did nothing to gain her celebrity, whereas you've already admitted that Paris had "by doing this and OTHER STUPID THINGS (I.E DUI, jail)."

<>

You're right, this was not unpredicted, as many people knew that this would happen eventually, as many know it will happen again. There are many different roads to celebrity and if this occurs again, the victim and the victims family will become celebrities. It is what it is.

<

.............>>

This is the third instance that link three different individuals, in three totally different circumstances from three different socio-economical backgrounds and incomes achieving the same thing: celebrity. Anyone can do it.

<
the state or quality of being widely honored and acclaimed.>>

You are wrong. I went to dictionary.com and got the exact same definition that I posted above. I thank you for acknowledging my definition through your own source. Here's the link: (at dictionary.com look up "celebrity") http://dictionary.reference.com...

–noun, plural -ties for 1.
1. a famous or well-known person.
2. fame; renown.

Also, it does not matter if you've limited your understanding of the English language. Everyone else knows what "celebrity" means and they also understand that anyone can achieve it. You can either acquire great wealth, you can suffer a terrible accident and have people make a spectacle of you, or you can commit a heinous crime which brings you celebrity. In fact, many have committed crimes for the sole purpose of gaining celebrity. Celebrity can be had by anyone through a number of different means. Accept it.
Randomknowledge

Con

As final arguments are better short, I will try to stay brief.

You said:

No. not true. not ayone an become one. Lets say I wake up one morning and say that i am a celebrity. Ok, but nothing happened. I wasnt tackled by Paparazzi, or taken up by the media. You have to do something.
You said:

"You are wrong. I went to dictionary.com and got the exact same definition that I posted above. I thank you for acknowledging my definition through your own source. Here's the link: (at dictionary.com look up "celebrity") http://dictionary.reference.com...;

The point I tried to make (but was shot down before its time by you) is that there are multiple definitions on the same website, we just chose diffent ones.

You said:

"Also, it does not matter if you've limited your understanding of the English language."
I most certainly have not.

"Everyone else knows what "celebrity" means and they also understand that anyone can achieve it."
If everyone knows this, then where is the proof? tons of comments (no)? what?

"You can either acquire great wealth, you can suffer a terrible accident and have people make a spectacle of you, or you can commit a heinous crime which brings you celebrity. In fact, many have committed crimes for the sole purpose of gaining celebrity. Celebrity can be had by anyone through a number of different means. Accept it."
In fact I do accept it.

1. By my definition, none of these people are celebrities.
2. By my thoughts and perception (inhibited, or so you say), "anyone can become a celebrity" means exactly my previous example. Waking up and saying Im a celebrity.

solo

Pro

<>

As will I.

<>

But you are not a celebrity, as you have done nothing noteable yet. Kill someone a unique and gruesome fashion and you will most likely achieve celebrity. Anyone can do something that can make them a celebrity.

<>

First, not all celebrities are stalked by paparazzi. Secondly, I'm not disputing that sometimes you have to do something, like Scott Peterson.

<>

No, once you accept a source, you then accept ALL definitions from it. It is what it is.

I wrote:

<>

And yet here you are trying to dismiss the definitions of celebrity that take precedence over your definitions. It is probably because you did not look up the definition in the first place and forgot what the word truly means, and not what it has become as a result of the media.

<>

Proof is not required, as it is common knowledge. I just gave great examples to show as evidence that anyone can achieve fame.

<>

<<1. By my definition, none of these people are celebrities.>>

So basically a person is not a celebrity if you do not like them. I guess Britney Spears is not a celebrity if you don't like her. And major movie stars are not celebs if you don't like them either.

<<2. By my thoughts and perception (inhibited, or so you say), "anyone can become a celebrity" means exactly my previous example. Waking up and saying Im a celebrity.>>

No, that is not the case because there isn't national attention when you wake up and say to yourself, "I'm a celebrity."

I stand by my claim. Anyone can become a celebrity through many different ways. Not everyone can be a celebrity that is loved by all though, but we're already aware of this fact too.

<>

Thank YOU!
Posted by JasonMc 9 years ago
JasonMc
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it was in the movie "Half Baked" that the phrase was coined: "People used to be famous because they were great. Now, people are great because they are famous."

Granted, this is not true in every case today, but I would argue that it is more common than not.
Posted by Randomknowledge 9 years ago
Randomknowledge
I do realize it is long, but please take the time to read the whole thing. Thank you.
Vote Placed by solo 8 years ago
solo
RandomknowledgesoloTied
Vote Placed by wooferalot101 9 years ago
wooferalot101
RandomknowledgesoloTied
Vote Placed by YummyYummCupcake 9 years ago
YummyYummCupcake
RandomknowledgesoloTied
Vote Placed by cliffsofdover 9 years ago
cliffsofdover
RandomknowledgesoloTied
Vote Placed by mynameisjonas 9 years ago
mynameisjonas
RandomknowledgesoloTied
Vote Placed by quagmire 9 years ago
quagmire
RandomknowledgesoloTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
RandomknowledgesoloTied
Vote Placed by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
RandomknowledgesoloTied
Vote Placed by Randomknowledge 9 years ago
Randomknowledge
RandomknowledgesoloTied
Vote Placed by Miserlou 9 years ago
Miserlou
RandomknowledgesoloTied