lol101
UtherPenguin

Anyone who accepts this debate agrees that he/she will lose

UtherPenguin
Started: 7/20/2015 Category: Funny

lol101

Pro

Rules: You can't use the fact that I accepted the debate before you did as an argument. I consider it a proposal, not acceptance.
UtherPenguin

Con

I will take the assumption that this first round is for acceptance and the next round is for arguments
lol101

Pro

My argument is that you simply cannot win. If you use the argument I told you NOT to use, you lose. Since you accepted... you lose.
UtherPenguin

Con

Pro has made an assertion. As with any assertion it requires proof. Therefore, the burden of proof is on Pro to prove why I was going to lose. The only argument given by Pro was that the resolution said I was to lose the debate. However, that resolution was his argument and original assertion.

Not only that but Pro has also committed the "begging the question" fallacy in which (and I quote) "an informal fallacy where someone includes the conclusion they are attempting to prove in the initial premise of their argument"often in an indirect way that conceals it."

Therefore not only has Pro failed to prove his claim, but has also committed a fallacy in his argument.

I rest my case.
Posted by KingofEverything 1 year ago
KingofEverything
Lol my argument sucked.

That's right. I'm lol101.
Posted by HermanGomez95 1 year ago
HermanGomez95
In electing a winner, I would consider several factors.

Firstly, this debate seems to be a blatant attempt at raising Pro"s Elo ranking. With that in mind, I found the nature pro"s conduct to be both assertive and uncivil. Con responded to the debate with a more respectful and humorous nature that earns him his point there.
Secondly, there was the fact that this debate seemed superfluous.. that was until con asserted that Pro not only committed a fallacy, but that Pro failed at to prove why Con should lose. This gave con a more sufficient argument than pro.
Essentially, this debate was created under the reasoning that Pro would automatically win due to his guidelines, however, based on Pros biased guidelines, the only clear winner would be con because he managed to be more civil, thus maintaining better conduct, and had more convincing arguments because he was the only one to make an argument.

Con is the clear winner here.
Posted by UtherPenguin 1 year ago
UtherPenguin
That was one intense debate.
Vote Placed by Death23 1 year ago
Death23
lol101UtherPenguinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Resolution: "Anyone who accepts this debate agrees that he/she will lose" Convincing: The burden of proof is in Pro since he brings the claim. Pro must argue that the resolution is true without any convincing refutation from Con. If Pro does not do this, then Con wins. Pro's only argument in favor of the resolution is as follows: "My argument is that you simply cannot win. [...] Since you accepted... you lose." Con challenges Pro's assertion as baseless. Con is correct. Pro has offered nothing to substantiate his assertion. Con's win. Note: The resolution is not a rule for the debate. It is important not to confound resolutions and rules. If Pro had offered a rule in round 1 which would require Con to agree to a loss by accepting the debate, then Pro's case would be better. However, no such rule exists.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 1 year ago
9spaceking
lol101UtherPenguinTied
Reasons for voting decision: con's right--pro only said con was going to lose because con was going to lose, which was a fallacy.