teach85
massvideogamer

Anyone who posts comments on websites should learn how to spell and use proper grammar.

teach85

Pro

People who choose to communicate through the medium of the Internet should be respectful of the English language and use it properly when they write. If I can't understand what you are trying to communicate because of your horrible grammar or spelling, it is difficult to give merit to the content of your opinion or comment.
massvideogamer

Con

First of all, your topic is "Anyone who posts comments on websites should learn how to spell and use proper grammar." Which means you are claiming that the reason why we don't use correct spelling and grammar is because we don't know how.

"People who choose to communicate through the medium of the Internet should be respectful of the English language and use it properly when they write." Now you are saying that we know how, we just don't want to. Make up your mind.

Secondly, it is our choice to spell and punctuate. We don't have to do it correctly, we just do it however we want to. I would now like to quote an article from Wikipedia: "Internet slang, Internet language, Netspeak or chatroom shorthand, is slang that Internet users have coined and promulgated. Such terms typically originated with the purpose of saving keystrokes, and many people use the same abbreviations in text messages. They are also very commonly used in instant messaging. The terms often appear in lower case, with capitals reserved for emphasis; for example, the pronoun "I" often appears simply as "i". People also use "u" to mean "you," and "r" to mean "are." Also, much of the time people do not use apostrophes or punctuation at all." Translation: It is easier and faster.

I do not see why everything has to have perfect grammar and spelling to gain merit for it for as long as your content is good, spelling and grammar shouldn't matter as much.
teach85

Pro

Perhaps your argument would have been more effective if you had in fact written it in "netspeak". Or were you afraid of being misunderstood, or just looking silly and not credible?

But, IM slang and the like is not exactly what I am addressing here. When people clearly attempt to type a sentence correctly, and fail, that is very sad. The fact is that you found it necessary and attainable to present your argument to me in a well-organized, properly-spelled and error-free way, which basically makes my whole point. You want to win this debate, which requires you to appear as credible and well understood as possible.

Next, click on the "Debating Tips" link above the text-entry box on the argument posting page. It says this:
"1. Grammar, spelling, and punctuation
Grammar, spelling, and punctuation are important aspects of any piece of writing. Utilizing these language tools on Debate.org will help to maintain a professional appearance for your debates. Review your argument looking for grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation errors. For spelling errors, use the spell check feature found on the right hand side of the argument box."

So, I believe that the form, not the content, of your argument, was in fact the content of MY argument! Therefore, in your response, you proved my point. By responding in the manner you did, you acknowledged the validity of my statement: "If I can't understand what you are trying to communicate because of your horrible grammar or spelling, it is difficult to give merit to the content of your opinion or comment."
massvideogamer

Con

"Perhaps your argument would have been more effective if you had in fact written it in "netspeak". Or were you afraid of being misunderstood, or just looking silly and not credible?"

The reason why I did not write it in netspeak is because simply I did not care to. I am not going to try and talk in a different way that is unnatural. Everyone is entitled to talk the way they want on the Internet, and my way just so happens to be with proper grammer and spelling most of the time.

"But, IM slang and the like is not exactly what I am addressing here. When people clearly attempt to type a sentence correctly, and fail, that is very sad. The fact is that you found it necessary and attainable to present your argument to me in a well-organized, properly-spelled and error-free way, which basically makes my whole point. You want to win this debate, which requires you to appear as credible and well understood as possible."

Um, not really. People mess up sentences all the time. I did not find it necessary to present my argument in an organized way, I just did. Actually, to tell you the truth, I didn't even read over my argument to check for spelling errors, as I usually never do. Of course I want to win this debate, and I don't have to to appear credible. (Eye culd tauch leik tis an stile whin tis debat, but I choose not to because it is harder to mess up words like that than to get them right.)

"Next, click on the "Debating Tips" link above the text-entry box on the argument posting page. It says this:
"1. Grammar, spelling, and punctuation

This does not say anything. All it says is anyalizing spelling and grammar will make you look more professional, not credible.

"So, I believe that the form, not the content, of your argument, was in fact the content of MY argument! Therefore, in your response, you proved my point. By responding in the manner you did, you acknowledged the validity of my statement: "If I can't understand what you are trying to communicate because of your horrible grammar or spelling, it is difficult to give merit to the content of your opinion or comment."

Ok, so it was in the form of your argument, Congratulations, that proves nothing. As I said before, I just type. I don't look for spelling and grammar errors. I am just educated and type normally. If I start to spell things wrong, that is not going to make people think any less of my content, for I have seen many debaters on this site spell things wrong. For example, Logical Master (sorry, just using you as an example) has spelt things wrong, but he still creams people in his debates.

What say you now?
teach85

Pro

You have said nothing in 2 rounds. You submit an "argument" that in practice contradicts what you are arguing. We are arguing about the people argue, but you have conformed to my opinion.

Since when do you not have to appear credible to be persuasive? The truth is you keep creating the straw man that I am somehow vehemently opposed to the slightest flaw, which is something I have never said. What I initially argued is that people who expect to be taken seriously when they post things online should capitalize things, use punctuation, and attempt to spell words correctly. Do I sometimes misspell a word? Of course! Is that the point? No, of course not.

The point is intent and effort. Of course anyone has the right to post however they please. I have never said they should be denied internet access or their posts systematically deleted. What I AM arguing is that I have the right (and I am asking that others invoke it as well), to disregard people who INTEND to be taken seriously but can't put forth the EFFORT to present themselves and their comments/opinions with the least bit of propriety in clarity of communication.

Might I also add that I have a great deal of respect for your position (albeit misled) since you have presented it well, and that you can do so somewhat effortlessly. I do as well, and at least in our cases education has succeeded. And, you have presented a position, not an attack. Many times comments I see that are ignorant in form are equally ignorant in content: an observation that probably influenced the veracity with which I expressed my original position, but I thought it too complicated an angle to include in this debate.

The internet gives a platform to many people who would never voice their opinions verbally, or in other more established print forms (i.e., newspapers). It also gives them this platform free from the responsibility of attaching their identity to their expressions. Now: why? Would many of the comments like I am referring to be taken seriously within the realm of more established media? Thus is the difference between Encyclopedia Britannica and Wikipedia. On one hand, yes, the internet provides greater freedom and opportunity of expression, but it also provides a greater sounding board for ignorance. Can you say that is good? If nothing else, it means things people just "spout off" online should be subject to greater scrutiny.

I feel like I've drifted. My point is that I often use proficiency of written communication skills as an indication of self-respect. I don't want to put something up here for all to see and look like a moron doing it, and I tend not to take seriously people who do.
massvideogamer

Con

"You have said nothing in 2 rounds. You submit an "argument" that in practice contradicts what you are arguing. We are arguing about the people argue, but you have conformed to my opinion."

I havent said anything in this debate? Just look at yourself, i shall now translate what you have said in all three rounds of your debate. What you have said throughout the whole debate= "Your writing is neat which I am saying people should do" That is all you have basically said in this entire debate.

"Since when do you not have to appear credible to be persuasive? The truth is you keep creating the straw man that I am somehow vehemently opposed to the slightest flaw, which is something I have never said. What I initially argued is that people who expect to be taken seriously when they post things online should capitalize things, use punctuation, and attempt to spell words correctly. Do I sometimes misspell a word? Of course! Is that the point? No, of course not. "

The straw man? And you contradict people for not making sense. Just because people expect to be taken seriously does not mean that they have to put any extra effort into their typing and such to be taken seriously.

"The point is intent and effort. Of course anyone has the right to post however they please. I have never said they should be denied internet access or their posts systematically deleted. What I AM arguing is that I have the right (and I am asking that others invoke it as well), to disregard people who INTEND to be taken seriously but can't put forth the EFFORT to present themselves and their comments/opinions with the least bit of propriety in clarity of communication."

Exactly, you just said it. You are saying that it is just you who thinks this way, meaning that your debate is focused around your opinion and your opinion alone. An opinion that other people don't have because why else would you ask other to invoke it?

"Might I also add that I have a great deal of respect for your position (albeit misled) since you have presented it well, and that you can do so somewhat effortlessly. I do as well, and at least in our cases education has succeeded. And, you have presented a position, not an attack. Many times comments I see that are ignorant in form are equally ignorant in content: an observation that probably influenced the veracity with which I expressed my original position, but I thought it too complicated an angle to include in this debate."

Again, that is from your personal experience, experience that most people probably have never had. Experience that you failed to describe and make people believe you.

"The internet gives a platform to many people who would never voice their opinions verbally, or in other more established print forms (i.e., newspapers). It also gives them this platform free from the responsibility of attaching their identity to their expressions. Now: why? Would many of the comments like I am referring to be taken seriously within the realm of more established media? Thus is the difference between Encyclopedia Britannica and Wikipedia. On one hand, yes, the internet provides greater freedom and opportunity of expression, but it also provides a greater sounding board for ignorance. Can you say that is good? If nothing else, it means things people just "spout off" online should be subject to greater scrutiny."

Alright, you gave me a definition of the Internet in a way, but you got definately sidetracked here.

"I feel like I've drifted. My point is that I often use proficiency of written communication skills as an indication of self-respect. I don't want to put something up here for all to see and look like a moron doing it, and I tend not to take seriously people who do."

Yeah, you definately drifted. Well right here you say once again that YOU only take people seriously when they use proper grammar and spelling. Your topic claims that everyone should think this way, but you have not proved this one bit, you have only said why you personally do it.

Now for the voting!
Posted by Scyrone 9 years ago
Scyrone
No one really argued the point, they just argued each other.

I like this debate though. I think I am going to open it for challenge to someone (or if anyone wants the Pro of this statement, I will take it for them if they want to challenge me).
Posted by proof317 9 years ago
proof317
donna b mad at me it's satolite's fault he be tellin me to do it
a.b.c.d.e.f.g.h.i.j.k.l.m.n.o.p.q.r.s.t.u.v.w.x.y and z
now I know my abc's, nex time wizont u tizip wit me!!
Posted by proof317 9 years ago
proof317
Cuz i B talkin FUNNY i goatta b are..re...re...retard?
Posted by proof317 9 years ago
proof317
wE bE n a Wizzar againts dumbos?
Posted by teach85 9 years ago
teach85
Wow. Seriously. I guess you really can't combat stupidity.
Posted by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
Hey teach 85, You are about to walk into a pack of hihina's in a misspelling frenzy.
Posted by the_conservative 9 years ago
the_conservative
waht a idit. imean like like #^% iff peeple wanna tipe rong let em. its normilly fastr and mst ov thu tyme peopl jsut tipe tooooooo fst and make grimaticalll errirs
Posted by massvideogamer 9 years ago
massvideogamer
what you talkin bout Joe?
Posted by bluejoewho 9 years ago
bluejoewho
you have to be some kind of arse to debate the pro of this.
Posted by proof317 9 years ago
proof317
I dunno wat u b talkin bout! lol
Vote Placed by massvideogamer 8 years ago
massvideogamer
teach85massvideogamerTied
Vote Placed by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
teach85massvideogamerTied
Vote Placed by bjm1382 9 years ago
bjm1382
teach85massvideogamerTied
Vote Placed by the_conservative 9 years ago
the_conservative
teach85massvideogamerTied
Vote Placed by proof317 9 years ago
proof317
teach85massvideogamerTied
Vote Placed by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
teach85massvideogamerTied
Vote Placed by Aewl1963 9 years ago
Aewl1963
teach85massvideogamerTied
Vote Placed by teach85 9 years ago
teach85
teach85massvideogamerTied
Vote Placed by DaPofoKing 9 years ago
DaPofoKing
teach85massvideogamerTied
Vote Placed by adam_markal 9 years ago
adam_markal
teach85massvideogamerTied