Mattyb1614
vi_spex

Anything multiplied by 0 would be 0

Mattyb1614

Mattyb1614

Pro

You, vi_spex, must undergo the following conditions if you choose to debate me on this topic:

- No plagiarism

- This debate must be taken seriously. A few jokes in between are acceptable, but that is it.

- Both Pro (me) and Con (You, vi_spex) must share their BoP (Burden of Proof); Both must reason why they think what they think.

Failure to undergo these conditions will result in an automatic loss.

I will now present my arguments.

Multiplication is a mathematical operation that takes however many sets of a number and puts them together.

In the following equation:

3 x 2

The first number, which is 3 in this case, is how many there are of something per set. The second number, which would be 2 in this case, is how many sets there are. So, in this case, you need to put 2 sets of 3 together, which makes 6.

We can also switch the numbers up, but it will always get you the same answer, but with a different meaning.

So, in the following equation:

5 x 0

The second number, which would be 0 in this case, is how many sets there are. There are no sets. You have nothing. So, that would easily be 0.

It does not matter what number is being multiplied with 0. You still have no sets if the number, that is how many there are per set, was altered.

Also, again, even switched up, you will get the same answer. Remember, switching up the 2 number's roles won't change the answer, only the meaning.

Hopefully my opponent accepts this challenge and either one of us get something out of this debate.
vi_spex

Con

forget about the set thing

you are changing the word soda, to set for example, why?

I have 3 sodas in my hand, I cant have a set in my hand, what is it? therefore its automatically not usefull

define set for me if i got it wrong

what you are saying with the 5*0 example is you have 5, and you add something you cant add, adding nothing, therefore you do not have 0, as you cant add it
Mattyb1614

Pro

My opponent states that he does not understand what sets are. It is basically a re-wording of groups.

Let me give an example re-worded:

In the followig equation:

10 x 12

The first number, which would be 10 in this case, is how many there are per group. So, in this case, you have 10 in a group.

The second number, which would be 12 in this case, is how many groups there are.

Now collaborate the information.

You need to put 12 groups of 10 together, and together they make 120.

My opponent also seems to not understand multiplication, and has a hard time doing so. You do not add. You multiply. The two concepts are very different.

In the following equation:

6 + 0

You are adding 0 to 6, which obviously equals six. However in the following equation:

6 x 0

You do not have a single group. So, that automatically makes 0.

Just to repeat, the operations of addition and multiplication are completely different.

I await my opponent's arguments.
vi_spex

Con

6 added to 0 is 6, because it cant happen, so it is an explanation, and not an equation
6+0=6 is false
6=true
or, 6+0(6)

6 multiplied by 0 is 6

6 divided by 0 is 6

everything is something, and something is 1, and nothing is 0

existence is defined by experience, and existence is the balancing point between something and nothing, something exist, and nothing exist
Mattyb1614

Pro

My opponent states that 0 added to 6 is 6 because it can not happen. My opponent is correct; 0 added to 6 would be 6. However, his reasoning for it is incorrect.

My opponent is taking math literally. Indeed, adding 0 to 6 does not make sense in reality. For instance, you can not add 0 stick to 20 sticks. However, in mathematical terms, it does. Something happens too. You added 0 to 6. The only thing is that adding 0 to any number does not change that number.

That is your problem, Con; You take math too literally. You have to stop doing that. If we were discussing a scenario, that would make sense; You can not add 0 to 6. However, in math, you can. However, the number that you added 0 to remains the same.

In reality, 0 is not nothing. Again, back to my example:

In the following equation:

6 x 0

The first number, which would be 6 in this case, is how many there are per set. The second number, being 0 in this case, is how many sets there are. You have no set. Therefore, it turns out to be 0.

Same with division. In the following equation:

6/0

The first number, which would be 6 in this case, is the number that you will be trying to find chunks of the second number, which would be 0 in this case, of. So, in this case, you are trying to find how many chunks of 0 there are in 6, which does not even make sense.

I await my opponent's arguments.
vi_spex

Con

show me 0 bananas

you are setting huge limits to your way of thinking with this chunks and sets, it is non sense, where as I can take a pen and add it to the 2 other pens I have and know I have 3 pens in my hand, so its true, as I have to imagine a fourth and I certainly have more then 2 pens in my hand

if you walk in the desert and you are hungry, and you imagine a banana, do you have 1 banana?
Mattyb1614

Pro

My opponent goes on to ask me to show him 0 bananas.

Con, vi_spex, when are you going to understand that math is not taken literally unless you are applying it to life situations? Either you have a very hard time understanding that or you ignore it.

My opponent goes on to say that I set huge limits to my way of thinking with chunks and sets. No, vi_spex, all my explanations show that:

1) I am capable of taking math illiterally.

2) I know what I am talking about; I know what multiplication is, etc.

And for you to later on say that you can take pen and add it with two other pens and know you have three in your hand just shows that you want to stay simple and you think that accepting the fact that any number multiplied with 0 is 0 or that any number divided by 0 is 0 will complicate your thinking; You are a coward.

To be a proper debater, if you know you are wrong, you need to learn how to accept that fact and change up your thinking to correspond with that. If you are not willing to do so, you limit your thinking; As time passes, you will stick with the same thinking, even if it is outdated by then.

Let me make it easier for you, Con; accepting the fact that any number multiplied by 0 is 0 will not complicate your thinking; You will only have very few changes to make. Same goes for the fact that any number divided by 0 is 0.

Now, all you liberalistic DDO members can give conduct to Con. After all, I did use ad hominem in this argument and called him a coward, right? I do not care. He has to learn. As far as I could, being nice does not work.
vi_spex

Con

true is real, why does 1 and 1 equal 2?

you are simply not reading what im saying, there is no difference to multiplication and adding when you cant actually do it
Mattyb1614

Pro

My opponent states that true is real and goes on to ask me about why 1 added to 1 makes 2.

Look, there is a difference between true and literal.

Let us take the following equation as an example:

1 + 1 = 2

This statement is a true statement; It makes sense and the answer is correct.

This statement also can be a literal statement; You can apply this to a life situation, like adding one pen to another, and it will make two.

So, basically, if a statement can be a literal statement, wording it how you did also makes sense when applied to a life situation. An equation like the following:

6 x 0

Is not a literal statement; It does not make sense when you say that you will multiply 6 by 0. It makes sense, though, when you say that you will remove the set. Remember, in this debate, we do not need to take math literally.

My opponent also goes to say that I am not reading what he is saying, that there is no difference between multiplication and addition when you can not do it. Yes, I am. What you say makes sense literally. However, illiterally, you have no set. For example:

You have 6 apples. You want to multiply by 0. So, basically, you want to take 0 sets of 6 apples to put together. You have no set. Therefore, you do not have 6; You have 0 apples.
vi_spex

Con

an equation is either true or false, valid or invalid

you are saying the apples are a set, and they are not.. they are apples... now they can never become 0

take an apple, and make it nothing, you cant, it can only be 1
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
6+0 is a false equation, its just 6, or to show it cant be done this is the explanation, 6+0(6)

an imaginary man can drink a real soda?
Posted by Merlin101 2 years ago
Merlin101
So then all math is wrong? I don't know where you were taught but you can add nothing to something it is a simple as looking with your eyes if you can't add by 0 then 6+0 isn't a thing and is a false problem you can add things to nothing but this debate ate the moment is as dumb as denying that 2+2 or 2X2 isn't 4.
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
multiplying=multi lying

you can never add nothing to something, and you cant multiply without adding
Posted by Merlin101 2 years ago
Merlin101
No,you do not. nothing is 0 so when you multiply by nothing you multiply by 0. This argument was about Multiplying by 0 not going to the store and adding things to your equation, when you multiply you have a set amount of objects that you cannot add to or take away from that is when you can make an equation with ONLY multiplication
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
unicorns is 0, do you have unicorns in your hand?
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
then you have an empty hand

or do you have 0 unicorns In your hand as well?
Posted by Surrealism 2 years ago
Surrealism
If I have an empty hand, it contains zero sodas.
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
the store might be a better way to get some sodas
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
you can never multiply anything with nothing
Posted by Merlin101 2 years ago
Merlin101
just to prove a point that anything times 0 is 0. If you don't like math don't do it or argue on it.
Vote Placed by BLAHthedebator 2 years ago
BLAHthedebator
Mattyb1614vi_spexTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con takes math too literally by using bananas and apples. Pro proves this and gets the points.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
Mattyb1614vi_spexTied
Reasons for voting decision: con just kept on repeating for pro to show him zero bananas and makes assertions with no evidence. Thus, pro wins.