nismo2009
freedomsquared

Apartments are better than Houses

freedomsquared

nismo2009

Pro

Me as Pro will argue that an apartment is superior to a house in MODERN days.
Con will argue that house is superior to apartment

The word "better" can be both subjective and objective so you can use any resource as your argument to prove that one is better than other.

Round one is for acceptance and round 2,3,4 is for open debate.

As mentioned the background of the debate is set in 21st century and beyond.

Any question can be discussed in comment
freedomsquared

Con

I accept this debate and look forward to discussing this topic with my opponent. I hope this will be a fun but interesting debate that stays away from semantics.

Good luck.
nismo2009

Pro

Apartment is able to provide enough living space for populations such as India, Brazil, China and Hong Kong. House is currently not suitable for these civilizations.

Apartment if well designed, will be able to create a positive and healthy urban community. House in the up coming future can hardly forming such kind of communal space.

Community formed by a series of apartments can be highly urbanized and efficient. In this instance, efficiency refers to efficient service system, efficient traffic system and efficient security system, etc.

In the future, apartment can be flexible in terms of circulation. Apartment is a kind of building type and concept that can be reconsidered in modern era and in future. The concept of a house is already fixed.
freedomsquared

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for posting in a timely manner. Reading over his argument, he seems to have one major contention that I need to refute.

R1: Apartments have better spacing

My opponent contends that apartments will create a society that is:
a) positive and healthy
b) highly urbanized and efficient

a) When there is a heavy concentration of people in an area, it breeds dispute, dislike, and disease. My opponent says it's healthy to live in close quarters with other people rather than safely separated in your own dwelling. This is not only untrue, but the exact opposite is the case[1]. When you live in an apartment, your business becomes everyone's business, and everyone's business becomes your business. It's like living with your family except these people are not related to you and probably are just as annoyed with you as you are with them. Cramped spaces and lack of privacy are in no way a breeding ground for a positive and healthy community.

b) While I don't necessarily dispute that apartments are urban, I don't see why an increase in urbanization is good when it comes to housing. My opponent then speaks of the efficiency of apartments. However, do we really what this kind of space "efficiency". If being efficient was really that important, why not have everyone live inside of barracks, one family to a room like in many third world countries[2]. The answer is obvious, people don't like being crammed together. There is a reason houses are so popular and that "suburban sprawl" isn't the name of some foreign dessert.

Lastly, in America, there is still plenty of space left for housing. In the last 250 years of our country, we have only developed 5.2% of our land [3]. Clearly, we still have plenty of space to go.

C1: Privacy

Houses offer a privacy that apartment owners can only dream of obtaining. When you own a house, you can decorate as you please, listen to music as loudly as you want, and not have to be aware when the neighbors are having a drug deal. Apartments can in no way top houses in the privacy arena. When you live in a house, you have a home, not some room that you're renting from a landlord.

What's the point of living somewhere if that space doesn't actually belong to you?

C2: Safety

Situation: Fire

In an apartment, you freak out and try and go down the stairs (because you're not one of the lucky ones with a fire escape) but there's smoking coming up the hallway. You're trapped because you live in a glorified barracks that stacks people on top of each other like pancakes.

In a house, your smoke alarm wakes you up and you calmly grab a few belongings and head out the door. Even if the stairway is blocked, you can easily step out a window and be fine. The firemen arrive and put out the fire quickly because you have a small, single-person dwelling rather than a concentrated monolith.

Situation: Shooter

In an apartment, you're screwed. You have to stay in your room and hope for the best. In a house, the shooter would be in the street and you are easily safe within you're own little dwelling.

C3: Positive for Family

I don't know how many of you have children, but as a child, I can say that we really hate enclosed spaces. With that said, I can also say that if we are cramped we're sure to take it out on each other and the parents. Having lived in both apartments and houses, I can tell you that a little more space can make a lot of difference. Going from sharing a room with my brother to being separated by a hallway has made our confrontations less frequent and improved our relationship.

Space and privacy (to a certain extent) are needed for both children and parents to live a happy life.

Apartments are unhealthy and cramped while houses give the owner freedom and happiness. Houses provide safety, privacy, and a good family environment that apartments simply cannot match.

[1] http://books.google.com...;
[2] http://www.grist.org...;
[3] http://www.heritage.org...;
nismo2009

Pro

Thank you Con.

When you live in an apartment, you don't have to worry about yard upkeep.
Buying an house is too expensive and not worth it. Some of the dealers will always over price the house.

Con mentioned shooter senario. You all know a good apartment has security system which a house doesn't have. In apartment a person must validate the smartcard in order to get through the front gate and use the lift. It is so much safer than living in a house.

In winter, people don't have to worry about maintaining landscape if there is snow. Usually this is taken care of by the owner of the building. For house residence will have to do the clearing work.

hand it back to Con
freedomsquared

Con

Thank you PRO.

<< When you live in an apartment, you don't have... [a] yard [to] upkeep. >>

Fixed. Having a yard is a positive attribute, not a negative. To have space to hang out with friends, raise the kids, and do your neighborhood cookout is definitely a good thing.

<<Con mentioned shooter senario. You all know a good apartment has security system which a house doesn't have. In apartment a person must validate the smartcard in order to get through the front gate and use the lift. It is so much safer than living in a house. >>

The majority of apartments don't have this type of security system, only the ones that are higher income. The equivalent of an apartment complex with a smart card system is a gated community for houses. I stand by my previous contention.

<<In winter, people don't have to worry about maintaining landscape if there is snow. Usually this is taken care of by the owner of the building. For house residence will have to do the clearing work.>>

Not many people have ever seriously thought "Gee, I really hate picking up this snow. I hate it so much that I want to downgrade my living conditions to a small, condensed space and lose all my outside property and privacy." My point is that although upkeep may be more for a house, it's better to have something worth keeping up than to not have it.

I'd like to point out that you did not acknowledge the majority of my contentions.

Handed right back to PRO.
nismo2009

Pro

nismo2009 forfeited this round.
freedomsquared

Con

Another forfeit...vote CON.
Posted by nismo2009 5 years ago
nismo2009
Hello!

This is just for fun
Vote Placed by Mestari 5 years ago
Mestari
nismo2009freedomsquaredTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by Cobo 5 years ago
Cobo
nismo2009freedomsquaredTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfiet