Chancho19
AlternativeDavid

Apple Has Better Products Than Samsung

AlternativeDavid
Started: 9/21/2014 Category: Technology

Chancho19

Pro

Apple's entire system runs 5 times smoother than Samsung's Let me start with a question: Do you know who invented the first touchscreen smartphone? The answer is apple.
Do you know who, in a court case, admitted to copying Apple's design? The answer is SAMSUNG.

I don't ever want to hear that "Apple has copied Samsung."
It is a lie.

Apple's operating system runs the smoothest out of any smartphone device.
Apple invented the Touch ID which gives your whole device an extra layer of security.
Samsung, after introducing their S5 to the market, suddenly have a NEW touch sensor!

Wow! New huh? Didn't apple just do that a few months ago? I call that copying. AGAIN.

Apple currently has 1.3 million apps on their app store. 300,000 more than Samsung. Another reason Apple devices can do more.

Samsung will never be able to keep up with that.
AlternativeDavid

Con

"Apple's entire system runs 5 times smoother than Samsung's"

That's quite a claim, and as it has no source or evidence, I will assume it to be false.

"Do you know who invented the first touchscreen smartphone?"

This is not a debate about who made better products eight years ago, this is about who makes better products in 2014.

"Apple invented the Touch ID which gives your whole device an extra layer of security."

Apple did not invent finger print scanning. Apple added it to their product, Samsung saw that consumers liked it, so they added it to their own products.

"Apple currently has 1.3 million apps on their app store. 300,000 more than Samsung. Another reason Apple devices can do more."

More un-sourced numbers. Even if this is true, number of apps does not equal how good a product is. I will never need one million three hundred thousand apps.

Plus there was that whole debacle of nude pictures being stolen from the iCloud.

----

How good are Apple televisions compared to Samsung televisions? Oh that's right, Apple doesn't have TVs.
Apple doesn't have printers either.
Or cameras.
Or washing machines.
But Apple dishwashers are fantastic! Oh wait...

As we can see here, Samsung has a much wider variety of products available.
Chancho19

Pro

"That's quite a claim, and as it has no source or evidence, I will assume it to be false."

Even if Apple's system does not run faster at a constant, quantitative number, the system is still proven to run much faster than Samsung's.

"This is not a debate about who made better products eight years ago"

Speaking of having numbers with no evidence...

"Apple did not invent finger print scanning"

If you read what I ACTUALLY said, I said they invented the Touch ID, which is the name of Apple's built-in feature. I said nothing about them inventing the original finger print scanner.

"Samsung saw that consumers liked it, so they added it to their own products."

I like how you said Samsung "added it to their own products"

You're right. They took Apple's idea, then "added it to their product." In other words, they stole it from Apple because Apple had the better idea. Samsung doesn't usually come up with original ideas.

Here are some FACTS to prove that :)

• Apple creates the first touchscreen smartphone --> Samsung comes out with their own months later

• Samsung created Samsung Wallet, an app that stores coupons, tickets, boarding passes, etc. after Apple introduced Passbook for iPhone. http://www.businessinsider.com...
    • Apple's software comes out with a beautifully designed keyboard. Months later, Samsung releases its "newest keyboard" Look at this picture if you don't believe me. http://nicklazilla.tumblr.com...;

And many more!

"More un-sourced numbers. Even if this is true, number of apps does not equal how good a product is. I will never need one million three hundred thousand apps."

If you are going to accuse me of gathering "un-sourced numbers", then you better be right. This time, you weren't.

Apple's recent Keynote session, which I watched and looked over, gave this fact of the Apple Store currently housing 1.3 million apps. Google, Bing, Yahoo!, and other search engines will all provide the answer to the simple question, "How many apps are on Apple's App Store?" That is called FACTS. (AKA sourced numbers)

Let me just say that with this plethora of apps, Apple CAN do more than Samsung.

"How good are Apple televisions compared to Samsung televisions? Oh that's right, Apple doesn't have TVs.
Apple doesn't have printers either.
Or cameras..."

Dear Samsung users, if you would like to purchase any of the above listed Samsung products, feel free to visit http://www.samsung.com...;

Unfortunately, this debate is not about how much water Samsung dishwashers save compared to others, or how much energy a samsung TV will save you every year.

This debate is comparing Apple's devices to Samsung's devices.

AlternativeDavid

Con

Even if Apple's system does not run faster at a constant, quantitative number, the system is still proven to run much faster than Samsung's

So where is this proof?

"Speaking of having numbers with no evidence..."

I was off by one year. The iPod Touch came out nine years ago (http://en.wikipedia.org...). Which actually makes my point even more valid.

"If you read what I ACTUALLY said, I said they invented the Touch ID, which is the name of Apple's built-in feature. I said nothing about them inventing the original finger print scanner. "

I didn't say that Pro stated that Apple invented the finger print scanner. I included this because one cannot claim that Samsung stole the technology from Apple.

"I like how you said Samsung 'added it to their own products'"

Yeah, the act of including something that was not previously part of the original thing is adding. Apple also added many things to their product.

"Here are some FACTS to prove that"

The information provided just showed how Samsung borrowed ideas from Apple. If anything, this makes Samsung products better. Let's attach some numbers to this.

An iPhone is worth 6 points and a Galaxy is worth 5 points. Galaxy takes some features of the iPhone that are better and as a result adds 2 points to themselves.

Now iPhone has 6 and Galaxy has 7.

Ethical? Maybe not. Is the ethicality relevant? Nope.

"If you are going to accuse me of gathering 'un-sourced numbers', then you better be right. This time, you weren't."

What? Pro failed to cite these numbers until the second round. No citation was provided, therefore it was un-sourced.

"Unfortunately, this debate is not about how much water Samsung dishwashers save compared to others, or how much energy a samsung TV will save you every year. "

Actually this is exactly what it's about. The debate is regarding profucts. Dishwashers and TVs are products, both of which Apple does not have.

---

So far in this debate, Pro has merely attacked the ethics of Samsung, and not their products.
Chancho19

Pro

To answer your question, I will not go into depth (since the answer is across the web). Apple's A7 chip "is so much better than its rivals" states MacWorld. If you would like the proof, visit their direct article. (Keep in mind that this article is one of many articles on this related topic)

Here MacWorld provides some info about Apple's A7 chip:

"Why has the iPhone 5s got such a powerful CPU?

Now that we have more inside details on Apple's A7 processor we can answer why the Apple A7 chipset is considerably faster than its rivals; what we can't answer is why Apple placed such a powerful system inside the current iPhone and iPad range. It appears that the A7 is not being used to anywhere near its full potential at the moment."

Since you seem to believe that Wikipedia is a reliable source, I have the right to use it as well:

Design

The A7 features an Apple-designed 64-bit 1.3–1.4 GHz ARMv8-A[5][6] dual-core CPU, called Cyclone. The ARMv8-A instruction set doubles the number of registers of the A7 compared to the ARMv7 used in A6. It has 31 general purpose registers that are each 64-bits wide and 32 floating-point/NEON registers that are each 128-bits wide.

The A7 also integrates a graphics processing unit (GPU) which AnandTech believes to be a PowerVR G6430 in a four cluster configuration.

The A7 has a per-core L1 cache of 64 KB for data and 64 KB for instructions, a L2 cache of 1 MB shared by both CPU cores, and a 4 MB L3 cache that services the entire SoC.

The A7 includes a new image processor, a feature originally introduced in the A5, used for functionality related to the camera such as image stabilizing, color correction and light balance.[14][15] The A7 also includes an area called the Secure Enclave that stores and protects the data from the iPhone 5s' Touch ID fingerprint sensor.[10] The security of the data in the Secure Enclave is probably enforced by ARM's TrustZone/SecurCore technology.[16][17] In a change from the Apple A6, the A7 SoC no longer services the accelerometer, gyroscope and compass. In order to reduce power consumption, this functionality has been moved to the new Apple M7 motion coprocessor [18][19] which appears to be a separate ARM-based microcontroller from NXP Semiconductors.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org...;

I would encourage you to look up (on wikipedia) the newest Samsung device's design and hardware. As I have invested into this, IT CANNOT COMPARE. (And I am not talking about a dishwasher's hardware or design)

"...one cannot claim that Samsung stole the technology from Apple."

How about we look into that court case back in 2011. The one where Samsung ADMITTED to copying and violating design patents and other patent infringements. They ADMITTED to it!

"Ethical? Maybe not. Is the ethicality relevant? Nope."

Well if we are going to keep a scoreboard of points for each company or "team", I would call that ethics. So, in fact, you have just made this "ethically relevant."

If we continue with this scoreboard, Samsung needs some points deducted for copyright infringement. They have taken Apple's ideas, which you even admitted to earlier by saying "...just showed how Samsung borrowed ideas from Apple."

Again you used another meaningless word: "borrowed." Samsung did not "borrow" ideas. They stole them.

That would leave Apple with 6 and Samsung with 5. Yes that is ethics. Just like you used above.

"Dishwashers and TVs are products, both of which Apple does not have."

So..."Pro has merely attacked the ethics of Samsung."

That is the science of debate. In schooling, we learn the basic principles of ethos, pathos, and logos. My basic way of debate here has been logos, AKA logic, or the facts! I have searched out information and provided common knowledge, and personal knowledge to combine into my argument. If you are going to accuse me of attacking Samsung, that would be called attacking the ethics of someone or a company.

The facts I have provided have given proof enough to anyone to go with Apple's line of devices. I encourage all to invest their money into Samsung's dishwashers, TVs, and microwaves; but when it comes to Samsung's line of smartphones and tablets, they should not be your first choice.

AlternativeDavid

Con

"Apple's A7 chip 'is so much better than its rivals' states MacWorld. If you would like the proof, visit their direct article."

A place called "Macworld" sounds like it would be pretty bias towards Apple and Mac products. Anyway, I'm not going to go find this source. As it was not given, it doesn't exist. Therefore this entire quote doesn't exist.

"Since you seem to believe that Wikipedia is a reliable source, I have the right to use it as well"

A study [1] found that Wikipedia (Nine years ago mind you) had a around the same error rate as Encyclopedia Britannica. It's not perfect but it's not unreliable. The article I used also had no known problems with it. In fact, the only way I used it was to show when the iPod Touch came out. It also appears that the cited information was copied and pasted straight out of wikipedia.

"I would encourage you to look up (on wikipedia) the newest Samsung device's design and hardware."

Not doing Pro's research for him.

"IT CANNOT COMPARE."

Of course it can. One can compare rocks to apple juice if they so wish.

"How about we look into that court case back in 2011. The one where Samsung ADMITTED to copying and violating design patents and other patent infringements."

Pro is completely missing my point here. Apple did not invent finger print scanning. They may have been the first to add it to their phones, but they did not invent it.

"Well if we are going to keep a scoreboard of points for each company or "team", I would call that ethics. So, in fact, you have just made this "ethically relevant."

What?

"Samsung needs some points deducted for copyright infringement."

Nope. As has been stated multiple times, this is about the product, not the ethics of the company that manufactured it. If Samsung adds something to their product that makes it better than Apple's then their product is better.

"you used another meaningless word: 'borrowed.'"

Definition of borrowed (According to Google): "Take (a word, idea, or method) from another source and use it in one's own language or work."

This definition fits what Samsung did. Also, due to the fact that "borrow" has a definition, it's not meaningless.

"The facts I have provided have given proof enough to anyone to go with Apple's line of devices."

Pro has not provided any evidence. He copied and pasted some information about the processors from Wikipedia and attacked Samsung's ethics. As I have stated multiple times, this is about the final product itself, not the company that made the product. The AK-47 was a very good gun. The fact that it was made by a country ran by Stalin doesn't change that.

---
I believe that I have made the case that Apple products are not superior to Samsung products. The ethics of Samsung may not be great, but that's irrelevant.

[1] http://news.cnet.com...
Posted by Chancho19 2 years ago
Chancho19
Hey AlternativeDavid, since you currently have messaging disabled, I guess I'll write to you here.

I'm not going to be a jerk here. I was never trying to be in the debate.

I hope this debate turns out well for each of us, even if one of us loses.

I'd just like to say to everyone that no matter who wins, that will never be able to determine which company creates better devices.

It is up to you to make that decision for yourself.

Best of luck to you AlternativeDavid :)
Posted by Chancho19 2 years ago
Chancho19
I use Samsung in my home as well, but much to my disappointment and wasted time, it competes nowhere near Apple's standard's. As AlternativeDavid stated half an hour ago, I don't have to write a huge statement proving that Apple is better. What I just said is just showing how bad Samsung devices perform compared to Apple.
Posted by AlternativeDavid 2 years ago
AlternativeDavid
I don't have to show that Samsung is better. I just had to show that Apple isn't. By the way, I use Apple products.
Posted by Chancho19 2 years ago
Chancho19
Wow Rockcityboy 6. That was a very intelligent statement right there. I'm glad that you could back that up so well :)

As you can see, some Samsung users can't even think of why Samsung is better than Apple. Probably because it's not.
Posted by rockcityboy 2 years ago
rockcityboy
apple sucks
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
Chancho19AlternativeDavidTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro had good arguments, but con ultimately pointed out the big core mistake of pro, especially in Apple ethics