RageDebate12302
TBR

Apple Is a Terrible Company

TBR
Started: 2/10/2015 Category: Technology

RageDebate12302

Con

Acceptance Round!
Let's Go!
TBR

Pro

Sure.... I will take it.
RageDebate12302

Con

RageDebate12302 forfeited this round.
TBR

Pro

The eternal debate, MAC vs. PC, has been raging since my earliest days in the industry. I have almost always taken neutral ground, lacking the “my team is better than your team” gene. Each has always had a place, and when consulted on what to buy, I tend to evaluate need over sentimentality. I will address the “cult” aspect little in this debate, I am inclined to leave that battle aside
The corporation itself has had its ups and downs. Throughout its history it has been successful as well as near death. It has been maligned and beloved. I will address the current incarnation of the company as much as possible, with only enough history to provide proper context.
The primary points supporting “Apple is a terrible company” follow:
Corporate
1)Tax Avoidance
2)Labor
3)Litigation
4)Environment
Technical
1)Market share
2)Restrictive user policies
3)Security vulnerabilities
4)Dropped support (short cycle / no announcements)
5)No server hardware line
6)Not a enterprise company
7)Lack of hardware options
8)Gaming sucks / business software limited

Corporate
1)Tax Avoidance
Apple has been ticking off government’s around the globe for playing fast and loose with tax avoidance. The US looking to repatriate over $100 billion dollars, while Apple balks - to the point of blackmailing congress for a special deal [1][3]. The UK declaring the tax chicanery state aid [2]. Mr. Shay of the Harvard Law school evaluated Apples taxes in Ireland below 1% [4 ~1:20:00]
While it’s hard to blame a company for attempting to pay as little in tax as possible, this activity hurts competition and the market as a hole as well as the people of the country’s Apple hides its taxes from. The overall effect, making Apple a terrible corporate citizen of the countries it operates in with respect to paying fair and equal tax.
More in next rounds provided no Forfeit...
RageDebate12302

Con

RageDebate12302 forfeited this round.
TBR

Pro

1) Labor

Sweatshop labor, child Labor and employee abuse. Apple abuses labor that can be classified with each of these descriptors.

“'We have to work too hard and I am always tired. It's like being in the army. They make us stand still for hours. If we move we are punished by being made to stand still for longer.’” [5]

“'We have to work overtime if we are told to and can only go back to the dormitories when our boss gives us permission,' says Zang Lan. 'If they ask for overtime we must do it.” [5]

“10,000 aged between 16 and 20 working in crowded production rooms doing the same tasks as adults. But some were paid less and others did not have their wages paid on time.” [6]

“Apple continues to source from Pegatron factories despite serious labor rights violations. That Apple has made promises on the conduct of its suppliers means that Apple is complicit in the persistence of violations at these factories. “[7]

Again, in attempts to maximize profits, some will attempt to dismiss this company’s abysmal record dealing with manufacturing facilities. Regardless of profit, it is hard to call this anything but “terrible”. Profits may be good, but allowing for this level of mistreatment is terrible.

Forfeit

RageDebate12302

Con

RageDebate12302 forfeited this round.
TBR

Pro

Its over! Apple is a terrible company!
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
@Zarroette - had all the references, and much more to argue. Knew it was going down to forfeit. I just hate these forfeitures. I put time into the debate.
Posted by Waffle_Man 2 years ago
Waffle_Man
And i dont even USE an apple device.
Posted by Waffle_Man 2 years ago
Waffle_Man
Apple is a great company! They are succesful! I believe the statement is pure opinion.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
Does my opponent intend to forfeit?
Posted by Lee001 2 years ago
Lee001
Wow this debate....is..... so descriptive...lol
Posted by roark555 2 years ago
roark555
How so?
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
What, as a innovator? Hardware producer? Software? Corporate citizen?
Posted by RageDebate12302 2 years ago
RageDebate12302
Just note that I am a non-bias non-apple-using debator
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
RageDebate12302TBRTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff. Make sure you provide the sources next time, Pro. Though, I'm sure it was a mistake rather than an attempt at cheating, considering you put the quotation marks and referenced the quotes...
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
RageDebate12302TBRTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture