matt8p
Taylor.Gregory

Apple is running out of Ideas

matt8p
Started: 6/16/2014 Category: Technology

matt8p

Pro

Apple IS running out of ideas and I will prove this to you. First, I would like to consider the Iphone 5S. The height of the Iphone 5S is 4.87 inches. It is seen that every model of Iphone gets longer and longer. Any phone longer than 4.87 inches will not fit into the pocket. Apple has also created other products like the Ipod, Ipad, and Mac, but will they have more ideas? My answer simply is NO.

http://www.apple.com...
http://www.forbes.com...
Taylor.Gregory

Con

While the Apple under Tim Cook isn't as "revolutionary" as the Apple under Steve Jobs, to say that Apple is running out of ideas is absurd.

Your first point states that the iPhone gets longer every year. The only time to iPhone has changed it's design was with the iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, and iPhone 5. The 5S is identical to the 5 in length, width, and thickness. The only major change in screen size occurred with the iPhone 5 where Apple went from a 3.5 inch screen to a 4 inch screen. As for your pocket statement, I don't know what "the pocket" is, but I can assure you that even a phone as large as the Galaxy Note 3 can fit into my pockets, and it's much larger than the iPhone 5S.

Let's look at a few items where Apple has innovated since Tim Cook took over Apple as CEO. I'd like to look at the MacBook Pro with Retina display first. Is this product crazy and revolutionizing? No, but it's set a standard for all high end laptops since it's release. Now it's common to see laptops with high dpi screens as it's become a new standard in the world of high end notebooks (much like Apple did when it released the iPhone 4 and pushed handheld devices to have very sharp displays).

We can look at Apple's Late 2013 Mac Pro. Even if you favor building your own machine and having as much future upgradability as possible, one still must admire the engineering skill used to develop such a compact, high powered, professional grade desktop.

I also ask that you look at software developments Apple has put forth recently, most notably the integration between iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. The continuity feature alone is amazing from a productivity standpoint.

The final thing I ask you to look at isn't so much a consumer "product" as something developers will take advantage of to make iOS and OS X programs more native to there platforms; Swift. Apple's "new" programing language takes some of the complications of Objective C and C and simplifies programing. It's so easy, someone was able to clone flappy bird in a few hours.

While Apple may not be pouring with new things that change the industry as much as the iPod, iPhone, or iPad, but they are still on a forefront when it comes to setting standards within the world of high end tech. Apple's began to focus less on hardware and more on user experience, and that by no means is a sign of running out of ideas, but rather a change in direction for what's important to Apple.

http://www.pcmag.com...
http://www.apple.com...
https://developer.apple.com...
matt8p

Pro

In the resolution. It says that Apple is RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS. This does not include upgrades to previous products. The Resolution is simply stating that Apple is running out of ideas for NEW AND DIFFERENT products. At this moment, Apple is not generating their OWN ideas. They are simply taking suggestions from the public and then applying their complaints into their products. Apple is not generating their own ideas.

[1] As for your pocket statement, I don't know what "the pocket" is, but I can assure you that even a phone as large as the Galaxy Note 3 can fit into my pockets, and it's much larger than the iPhone 5S.

REPLY: Apple is developing their new iphone, the Iphone 6. The Iphone 6 is 0.4 inches longer than the Samsung S5. The Iphone 6 is simply just a Oversized Phablet. There is NO TECHNOLOGY ADVANCE IN THE IPHONE 6. It is simply just another Iphone.
Taylor.Gregory

Con

The idea that innovation on an existing product isn't a new idea is a weak argument. One cannot also state that you know for certain what the next iPhone will be in terms of size as it hasn't been released nor announced yet, thus your statement is pure speculation.

The current Mac Pro is more so a new product when compared to the workstation that proceeded it. That is an idea of their own, and it was met with mixed reviews at first. From a pure engineering standpoint, it's amazing.

The new features future versions of iOS and OS X that allow them to work better together are the ideas of Apple. I hadn't read in any "What I want to see in the next version of iOS" or What I want in OS X 10.10" articles that mention the continuity features found between those updates.

If you focus only on hardware, you'll see a very stagnate field in almost all of consumer technology right now as not many people are bringing up huge new ideas. Google has Project Tango and Glass, but both of those are geared toward developers at the moment. Microsoft redesigned the Surface Pro with a larger, high res screen, better pen input and a much more useable kickstand, but you believe that updates to existing product lines aren't good enough to be considered innovation or a new idea.

From your limited arguments, you're only focusing on new hardware product lines as worth crediting as an idea, though at the time, software and a better user experience seems to have been where Apple is putting more resources in. The hardware will only run with the right software behind it, and Apple is more concerned with giving people a good user experience even if they aren't using the latest phone or laptop.

As for the Swift programing language, what is your argument for that? Apple came out of nowhere with the announcement at WWDC. Mac Rumors nor Apple Insider had any knowledge of that, or any to share ahead of time. That was a new idea.

I agree, the Apple of today isn't releasing a new product every quarter, but why should they? Software can be just as good or even a better place for innovation and perfection as the hardware that runs it, and at this point, they haven't felt the need to expand their product line anymore than it is now.

Two laptop lines, two consumer desktops, and a professional grade workstation with a smartphone, tablet, and music player for every tier of the market with a set top TV box to boot. Apple has it's bases covered right now, instead of putting out more hardware and flooding the market with both pro and entry level cheap phones and tablets (*cough* Samsung *cough*), they've turned their attention to making the user experience of their existing hardware better so that when it comes time to replace that aging iPhone or MacBook, customers come back and get another.

Apple's recent adventure into automotive consoles with CarPlay adds more value and use to the iPhones so many people carry around every day. It's a step to making iPhones even more valuable to people than they already are. Making it more than a phone with an awesome camera and built in iPod, but a center piece of one's life.

Apple may not be releasing new hardware lines right now, but that doesn't mean they are out of ideas. Their ideas aren't geared toward drastically revolutionizing the market right now, but rather making iOS and OS X a more unified pair, and making it so that everyone keeps coming back to them because of their attention to detail in terms of how their products work and how well they are supported.

CarPlay
http://www.apple.com...

More information about Swift
https://developer.apple.com...

Apple's Mac Pro page to see the engineering work for yourself.
http://www.apple.com...

WWDC 2014, the showcase for most of the new software features I've mentioned
http://www.apple.com...
matt8p

Pro

[1] One cannot also state that you know for certain what the next iPhone will be in terms of size as it hasn't been released nor announced yet, thus your statement is pure speculation.

Reply: I am aloud to say that the next Iphone WILL be bigger than previous Iphones, because there are proofs and leaks that apple is developing the new Iphone 6, and that the new Iphone 6 will be much larger than the Iphone 5S, and will also be bigger than the Samsung Galaxy S5. The Samsung Galaxy S5 is bigger than the Iphone 5S. The Iphone 6 doesn't create a big jump in innovation. The Iphone 6 is simply just running the IOS 7, and the IOS 7 is also not a new idea of apple.

[2] If you focus only on hardware, you'll see a very stagnate field in almost all of consumer technology right now as not many people are bringing up huge new ideas.

Reply: Apple has to focus on hardware, because software is not a big problem. Software is just the little decorations that go into the hardware that make the hardware special. It is the hardware ideas that apple is running out of. For example, there isn't much of a big difference between IOS 6 and IOS 7. They may look very different, but they simply accomplish the same tasks, thus, new software development is not a big leap in innovation. It is the hardware in development that creates the big innovation. Without Hardware, there would be no Software. Software is just the simple little things that decorate. For example, I could just take a copy of IOS 7, model a little bit of the looks in the Operating System, and then call it IOS 8, but that wouldn't go anywhere in innovation. Software accomplish the same tasks, it's just that different software accomplish tasks differently.

[3] Apple has it's bases covered right now, instead of putting out more hardware and flooding the market with both pro and entry level cheap phones and tablets (*cough* Samsung *cough*), they've turned their attention to making the user experience of their existing hardware better so that when it comes time to replace that aging iPhone or MacBook, customers come back and get another.

Reply: I would like to point out that the ("cough" Samsimg "cough") is not very mature and appropriate in this debate.

[4] As for the Swift programing language, what is your argument for that? Apple came out of nowhere with the announcement at WWDC. Mac Rumors nor Apple Insider had any knowledge of that, or any to share ahead of time. That was a new idea.

Reply: Do you know what the "Swift" programming language that Apple uses is? It is Objective C. Objective C is a failure, because it was created by Apple. I agree with you that it is a very clever programming language, but the problem with it is it's popularity. According to Codeeval, Eweek, and langpop, Objective C isn't even one of the top 5 programming languages. Objective C is only useful to apple developers, and not everybody is an Apple developer.

[5] Lastly, I would like to point out that Apple's success is going down. In July, 2012, they released the Iphone 5, which immediately became the big hit. On August 2012, one month after the release of the Iphone 5, Forbes announced that Apple is becoming the "most valuable company". This is clearly not true 2 years after the iphone 5, because apple is RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS. The last Iphone hardware was 2 YEARS AGO.
Taylor.Gregory

Con

If you have conclusive proof that you know for certain what the next iPhone will like outside of leaks, please share them, as I've seen the leaks, but I've also seen leaks and "proof" that Apple was going to release an actual TV and a smart watch last year. That didn't happen. Using leaked photos and smuggled bodies of what the next iPhone will look like is speculation, the only way you could have conclusive proof would be form internal Apple documents, and if you have those, you sir could become the most creditable leaker in the tech community. I say again, stating that the next iPhone will be bigger as fact before Apple has released information is very brazen of you.

Apple has to focus on software and user experience just as much if not more than hardware. Software is what makes a Mac different form another computer. Software is what makes an iPhone different from other smartphones. Software is what made the iPod sell like hotcakes even though there might have been better MP3 players on the market. Software is what made Apple the company it is. One must remember that OS X was made to work on Intel chips using a Sony Vaio, not an Intel Mac, as those didn't exist. Software is Apple's means of existence. Hardware is only as good as the software that runs on it, otherwise you have a very expensive paper weight.

While I agree that the functional difference of iOS 7 and iOS 6 are largely the same, they should be lest they wish to undermine their current customers (and relive a backlash similar to that of Final Cut Pro X). iOS 8 offers more than just cosmetics, but new APIs to developers that make lower level system integration easier for developers. The other features that allow for one to work on the same items across devices instantaneously (or so Apple claims).

My jab at Samsung is not that they make bad products, the Note 10.1 2014, Galaxy S5, and Note 3 are all fantastic pieces of technology, but they also flood the market with puzzling product lines (mainly tablets) in such a way that one can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Samsung device? Is that a bad thing? Yes, as Samsung has a shoddy history of supporting it's lower end products after the initial sale. While this isn't the topic of debate, I wished to clarify. You are also correct, it was a immature way to make my statement, and I apologize.

I am glad you see the utility of Swift to some extent, and it's foundation on C and Objective C isn't meant to be used by anyone other than Apple developers. Apple's intention with the language isn't to replace C and C based languages in the rest of the world, but rather give those developers who do work with Apple products another way to develop.

The iPhone 5 came out in September of 2012, not July. The iPhone 5S that you keep talking about was released the following year, the current iPhone hasn't even been on the market for 12 months let alone 24, perhaps the design has, but not the hardware inside of it. The iPhone 5S was the first consumer grade, ARM based phone with a 64 bit processor (regardless of how useful that might be with a single gig of RAM). That's innovation. Apple added a motion coprocessor to the 5S for developers to implement in their own apps. That's innovation. Having a fingerprint reader that was implemented well on the 5S, as silly and trivial as it may see, is still innovation. Taking a professional grade workstation and engineering it down to a compact cylinder with more power than before. That again, is innovation.

Simply because Apple isn't pushing out a new break through product line or releasing product updates like the iPhone 4 or iPad 2, that doesn't mean they are fully out of ideas. I repeat my point, you are so short sided as you only believe a new idea can come from hardware, yet fail to see that while Apple put a lot of effort into it's hardware, it's software defines it, the software is what makes Apple's products unique.

I agree that Apple hasn't released a big, game changing product in the past few years under Cook's leadership, but that doesn't mean they are completely out of ideas just yet.

As a simple disclaimer that may or may not be needed. I'm not an Apple fanboy, at least not anymore. While my primary computer may be a MacBook Pro, I also have a secondary machine running Windows and Linux, my primary phone is a Moto X and my main tablet is a Nexus 7. I enjoy technology of all sorts, and give credit to the company that does something right and innovates. This is why I accepted the challenge, not only because the Pro argument isn't fully formed, but because I honest believe that Apple's not out of ideas, even if it's current ideas aren't as revolutionary as the ideas of the past.
Vote Placed by ANONYMOUS2282 2 years ago
ANONYMOUS2282
matt8pTaylor.GregoryTied
Reasons for voting decision: eh