PsychoScientist
roypolicypro

Apple's OS X is superior to Microsoft's Windows

Started: 2/18/2016 Category: Technology

PsychoScientist

Pro

Hello,

I welcome you to this debate. This debate will be open for anyone who wishes to enter, and debate about this topic. In this debate, we will be debating about Operating Systems. Apple's OS X and Microsoft's Windows. The debate will be organized in the following way:

Rounds:
Round 1: Acceptance Round.
Round 2: Pro begins with constructive arguments. / Con begins with constructive arguments, optionally rebuttals.
Round 3: Rebuttals.
Round 4: Rebuttals.
Round 5: Final arguments and conclusion.

I hope that whoever wishes to debate about his topic, is more than welcome. I'll be waiting.
roypolicypro

Con

I think Microsoft's Windows is clearly superior in all technical ways (I will have to debate against the bias of the voters) therefore I accept the challenge.

Apple's OS X is NOT superior to Microsoft's Windows.
PsychoScientist

Pro

Thank you for accepting my debate. I trust we will learn much from this debate. I think that Apple's OS X is superior to Microsoft's windows in many ways, not all. Therefore, I shall start my arguments.

Programs

Apple's OS X is fully packed with programs for everyday use. If you buy a new Mac, and you're looking to edit videos, pictures, music, and do work, Apple's got you covered. Unfortunately, in Windows, you have to download a program for everything. For example, if you want to edit a picture, music, and record/edit videos, you're going to actually have to buy programs to accomplish what you need. Apple's got GarageBand, iMovie, Quicktime Recorder, and to edit pictures, all you have to do is open the picture file, and edit it with Preview. The best thing of all, is that it's all free.

Need to do a job for school or for work, no problem. Apple offers iWork on the Mac Appstore for free, which can include replacements for Microsoft Office and save yourself a hundred dollars. If you my opponent wish to change to Mac, I can give you a list of everything a Mac can give you that Windows can't.

No Antivirus

Apple's OS X and Mac computers have shown great invulnerability against attacks compared to Windows. Although it is true that any computer can be hacked, Macs are the safest platform from the market out there. In Windows, it has become increasingly easy for your PC to get infected by some sort of virus.

Yet, this doesn't mean that should not take precautions while surfing the web on Macs.

Apple makes it simple, Microsoft keeps it complicated.

Apple has been upgrading it's operating system for easier and simpler use. That's why it's so easy to learn how to use Apple's Operating System. One example of how complicated is Windows: Accents. What you need to type """ is "Alt+N+164". It's a code. Are you going to remember that? In OS X all you have to do is leave a press a key with your finger and you've got options for which Accent you want to choose. Vote for PRO!
roypolicypro

Con

PRO's arguments:
Programs

These programs that are 'free' are included in the cost of the computer that will be bought itself. As a result, many Mac computers tend to be a bit more expensive then computers with windows. This point is also, in a way, hard for me to debate, considering Microsoft makes no real computers (only tablets and software). However, Apple's greed has definitely overtaken their programs. Sure they provide these free programs, but many, many, more programs are incompatible on OS X. (Also OS X only functions on a Mac) For anyone looking to get a full use out of programs will need to switch to Windows to get top of the line programs. As for the average Joe, many programs are included in windows for basic use as you may suggest.

Antivirus

I'd agree any software can get hacked, and this also depends on the actual computer itself. Considering I have to defend a software and you defend a software and a computer this makes this harder but still possible. A mater a fact, windows does have antivirus and I will even from their website: "Windows 10 is the most secure Windows we"ve ever built. From first boot up through the supported lifetime of your device, you"re covered by enhanced security features that help protect against viruses, malware, and even phishing attacks." -- This shows that yes Windows does in fact have free and installed antivirus to protect against attacks.

CON's arguments:

Gaming:
Windows has the ability to connect and play with Xbox One and Windows 10 device users. Also, if you're a gamer (like me) so many more games are available on Windows that if you want to have the most fun, Windows is clear the best option.

Searching:
People doubt Microsoft Edge because its replacement of Internet Explorer (the king of internet browser memes), however, Microsoft Edge is quite amazing with an added thrill of the ability to write and type on webpages (something unavailable on OS X). This allows you to make notes directly on the page or even clear away distractions.

Interface:
The ability to snap apps into place, enable side by side views, or quarter-like viewing are all enabled in Windows and were originally invented as well. However, something Windows has that OS X does not, it the ability to create multiple Workspaces. Let's say I do debate, I am doing a research paper at school, and working on a business concept. I can separate this into three, easily accessible interface-like groups that allows me to organize things and allows a cleaner and easier to use computer. (To see this in action just visit Microsoft's website).

Cortana:
Not only does this friendly AI do your wishes, from searching the web to setting reminders (and delivering them to you at the right time and place), but she has an innovative learning curve that allows her to be more useful and personal to you specifically.
PsychoScientist

Pro

I thank my opponent for his arguments, I shall start of my rebuttals.

"Microsoft makes no real computers (only tablets and software)."

I think you might have misread the title of this debate. Anyways, I guess this has become a debate about computers too. Microsoft's Windows can be found in hundreds of other computers made by: HP, Dell, Razer (For Gamers) etc. Apple offers six types of computers you can choose today.

Antivirus

You base your claims on things Microsoft itself said. Next time, try to find better sources. Remember that hackers are on the rise. They are finding new ways to attack users, and like I said on my first argument, Macs have shown to suffer less attacks than Windows. Windows is extremely more likely to be affected by a virus. If you want to surf the web safely, choose a Mac. And the fact that Microsoft has an antivirus proves my claim that Windows does need an antivirus. This is a fact, do not try to contradict it.

Pricing

Macs are very high quality computers, that have shown to last more than any other computer. I know people that have had Macs for almost ten years, and still in fact work. Not only that, they come with great specs and gaming performance, battery life, and some Macs even come with discrete graphics cards for gaming.

Design

As you can see on Apple's latest products, and Operating Systems have great dominance in design and simplicity than Windows. Like I said on my first argument, it is much easier to learn using OS X than Windows.

OS X is much better than Windows. Vote PRO!
roypolicypro

Con

roypolicypro forfeited this round.
PsychoScientist

Pro

PsychoScientist forfeited this round.
roypolicypro

Con

roypolicypro forfeited this round.
PsychoScientist

Pro

My opponent has forfeited our debate, I shall be waiting for his response the next round.
roypolicypro

Con

roypolicypro forfeited this round.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 1 year ago
Cody_Franklin
If you established some criteria that we could use as bases of comparison, I might be inclined to accept.