the-entp
YoungTurtleBear

Apple's future is grave.

YoungTurtleBear
Started: 12/8/2013 Category: Technology

the-entp

Pro

With Steve Jobs, the major innovator at Apple corporation, no longer as CEO, Apple hasn't released any innovative products as of yet. Even more, it's quite obvious that Tim Cook can't cook up any amazing products as Apple recently hired Angela Ahrendts to be senior vice president of retail and online stores. It seems to me as though the company hit a rough patch, doesn't have any new products to release, and is trying to combine fashion and technology and continue Apple's iconic luxury brand (1).

(1) http://online.wsj.com...
YoungTurtleBear

Con

I would like to thank Pro for giving me this opportunity.
When voting, please vote based on the debate is and not on your personal opinions. Thank you!

Information
1)Steve Job died in 2010 and after the phone 4 release.
2)Currently iPhone 5s is the new phone.

Attack case
Pros arguments in round 1 are taken down by the fact that apple stocks have increased. Pro states that apple has no more creative products have been able to have come. This is false. When we look at apple product sales, it has increased a 1.16% after the iPhone 4 release. But after iPhone 5 was released, sales increased to 1.79% This is greater increase then when Steve Job was CEO. This shows that apple product popularity is not completely down yet.

Attack evidence
The evidence shows that apple stock went down, but we must understand stocks cannot be based off of one day because of their constant movement. But instead, we have to look at the overall stock increase/decrease. Also, Samsung has been doing better even when Steve Jobs was around, so that does not matter. The article even says "soften". This word does not imply a grave future. A grave future would mean that apple would become in the rear of bankruptcy. This is obviously false because the article uses the word choice of soft, the minor changes, and the fact that competition remains the same.

New Arguments
Apple stocks have actually increased faster than when Steve Jobs was around. Even with the heavy downfall, the current recovery rate is faster than a recovery Steve Jobs made. So with this in mind, Apple's future is not grave.

Voting
In round 1, I have knocked out all of Pro's evidence and case material. Also, I have taken conduct by bringing in new evidence and arguments. Vote Con!

the-entp

Pro

Thank you con for your insights.

Con argues that Apple's stock has increased and states that I claim that Apple's stock went down. I do not ever claim that Apple's stock went down, and increases in stock prices do not indicate whether a company's future is grave or not. An increase in stock prices simply means that a company's management is good at rallying money from investors.

But if con insists on talking about stocks, if we look at apple stock charts, we see that during the Jobs era, Apple's stocks has increased. But with Time Cook, Apple's stock is lower than it was at its peak. So within a 3-4 year period, Apple's stock has actually decreased.

Con says that Apple has come up with iPhone 4 and 5. Even though that is true, that is not considered a new and innovative product. It's simply an improvement of the iPhone series, basically reinforcing my argument that Apple has not come up with any new innovative products.
YoungTurtleBear

Con

Once again, I would like to thank Pro for the debate. Also, if I am offending anyone, I am terribly sorry.

Attack Pro's statements
I claim that Apple's stock did go down for a couple reasons. The evidence that Pro provided the statement that the stocks of Apple have been going down, so Pro is contradicting their own evidence. Although the evidence article does that say that directly, if we analyze the evidence, the time period in which they mention is also when the stocks went down. So, it would be fair to conclude that the evidence is also saying that the stocks went down. By this, Pro is disagreeing with the own evidence they provide.
Pro makes a statement that is true. Pro states that increase in stock prices mean that a company is getting more money from investors. There is a false part to Pro's statement though; he states this has nothing to do with a company's future. Well, it does. A money investor, also a stocks man, does not chose random stocks from were ever they plead. They chose these stocks for a reason. If a company is doing well, they would invest in a company. So when a company is at a point where profit is made, they sell the stocks for profit. This all has to do with how well a company is doing. And, a company's well doing is tied into their future. So, as I have shown, stocks do have to do with a company's future.
Pro has makes another false claim. Pro states that the stock within the years has decreased. https://www.google.com... By going to the 5 year area, we can see a steady growth over the years of 2010 and 2011. This is also Steve Jobs year of death. Steve Jobs year has never made a dramatic change, but in Cook's year, we see that the new products Bering released causes uproars. Although these uproars eventually die, it makes profit out of the rise and fall. In the end, the year of Steve Jobs is still not as good as Cook's growth.
I agree that these products are just improvements, but these new improvements are still making profit. If we use Pro's argument that Apple has not come up with new innovative products because they are only improving, I can use that statement too. Steve Jobs died until the iPhone 4. He made new improvements on the series as well. Improving is attracting new costumers, so it is still an innovative product.
But if we continue talking about "new" products, Cook has come up with new ideas too. for example, he was created the innovation of the life, iWork, Apple TV, and several other products.

Attacking case
Pro's case is that Apple's future is grave. Even if Cook somehow fails to create more and new products, the company will not be grave though. Because of the huge fan base it has, Apple will not fail. People have faith in apple, so they will continue buying new products. Cook's can continue series and profit will still increase. Apple in continuously growing, and it will not have a "grave" future.

Voting
Vote Con for several reasons. Con is leading this argument. Con has been attacking the Pro's statement to keep Con's arguments still in the debate. Also, I have been able to also add new arguments. Pro has only been able to attack my statements. But these attacks are pointless because I was able to back it up. So, currently, my arguments are only standing. Vote Con!
the-entp

Pro

the-entp forfeited this round.
YoungTurtleBear

Con

YoungTurtleBear forfeited this round.
the-entp

Pro

the-entp forfeited this round.
YoungTurtleBear

Con

YoungTurtleBear forfeited this round.
the-entp

Pro

the-entp forfeited this round.
YoungTurtleBear

Con

YoungTurtleBear forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by SPENCERJOYAGE14 3 years ago
SPENCERJOYAGE14
the-entpYoungTurtleBearTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.