Jovison
AdamKG

Application of knowledge in schools

Jovison

Pro

Hi guys, this if my first time having a proper debate. I am writing a paper regarding the current education system and would like to debate its effectiveness to find out the flaws of my arguments and beliefs. Here we go.

As a student, I believe that the current education system is not very effective. As of now, the education system seems to focus mostly on getting students to know the theories, not to get help them understand and apply it in real life situations. This has resulted to several problems such as unskilled college graduates and individuals who are not fond of learning which prevents optimal growth both to the individual and to the economy.

For example, in psychology classes, students are taught positive reinforcement, a method to increase the rate of behavior by rewarding an individual every time they engage in that behavior. While many students do understand the concept, it seems that the majority of the students are incapable in applying such technique to improve their lives and relationship with other people.

Another example is business classes. While business students do know the theories of advertising and do really good in case studies, many of them are incapable of actually advertising products when they are told to.

As a student, I believe it will be best for students if they will be taught not only the theories but also how to apply the knowledge in real life.
AdamKG

Con

I look forward to our debate and testing out your paper! I am a college student too and hope I can help. I agree with you in some areas, but I will just play devil's advocate when necessary.

"As of now, the education system seems to focus mostly on getting students to know the theories, not to get help them understand and apply it in real life situations."

I attend a technical institute and it focuses on a project-based curriculum. That type of education is about the best you can get for applied training. This school grants Associate's in Applied Science degrees so it is intended to be applied education. You cannot expect your higher education to mold you into the perfect individual for any career. The education can only take you so far; it is up to the individual to actually adapt and apply it themselves when they join the workforce. That is being a professional which schools of higher learning attempt to teach you as much as possible. Additionally, the company that hires you will train you for a short period to teach you their system. My school, along with many others, offer internships for some programs which help out even further. You can also find internships on your own with many companies.

"While many students do understand the concept, it seems that the majority of the students are incapable in applying such technique to improve their lives and relationship with other people."

I would like to see the source you used for this subject in your paper for reference. I have not taken psychology yet (I will next semester), but I understand the concept and will take your example. Again, it is up to the graduate to adapt to the given situation and apply the knowledge they acquired in their education. It is a well-known fact that higher standard of living correlates with higher education so that backs up my argument. Standard of living covers a vast area of topics including pay, personal/professional relationships, family, environment, etc.

Source: http://www.nwitimes.com...

"While business students do know the theories of advertising and do really good in case studies, many of them are incapable of actually advertising products when they are told to."

I would like to see the source you used for this subject in your paper for reference. I am a business student, although marketing isn't my favorite subject I still feel fairly confident in it. This goes back to my basic argument that it is mostly up to the graduate to adapt and apply what they learned in their education. In this case a marketing major should definitely be able to adapt to a marketing career, especially if it is what they are passionate about. Also, marketing majors often include internships.

"...I believe it will be best for students if they will be taught not only the theories but also how to apply the knowledge in real life."

The best way to do this is with case studies in the classroom and with internships in the workplace. Both of those solutions are already available. Business majors especially already have internships often built into the curriculum.
Jovison

Pro

Thank you very much for accepting the debate. However, there is one issue that I must address as it appears that there has been a misunderstanding. I was intending the debate to revolve around whether hands-on learning should be mandated in the curriculum, but it appears to me that it has gone a little bit astray. But anyways, here goes:

Hands on learning, or experiential learning, according to David L. Haury and Peter Rillero provides the following benefits: 1. increased learning
2. increased motivation to learn
3. increased enjoyment of learning
4. increased skill proficiency, including communication skills
5. increased independent thinking and decision making based on direct evidence and experiences
6. increased perception and creativity
(http://www.ncrel.org...)

"I attend a technical institute and it focuses on a project-based curriculum. That type of education is about the best you can get for applied training. This school grants Associate's in Applied Science degrees so it is intended to be applied education. You cannot expect your higher education to mold you into the perfect individual for any career. The education can only take you so far; it is up to the individual to actually adapt and apply it themselves when they join the workforce. That is being a professional which schools of higher learning attempt to teach you as much as possible. Additionally, the company that hires you will train you for a short period to teach you their system. My school, along with many others, offer internships for some programs which help out even further. You can also find internships on your own with many companies."

While it is true that some schools offer hands-on learning, based on my experiences, many schools below graduate schools tend to stick with the traditional lecturing method. Even if they do provide hands on learning, it is very minimum. As a college student, I observed and interviewed my friends in my college (it is really unfortunate that this is not a good source for debate), they barely have any hands-on learning.

"I would like to see the source you used for this subject in your paper for reference. I am a business student, although marketing isn't my favorite subject I still feel fairly confident in it. This goes back to my basic argument that it is mostly up to the graduate to adapt and apply what they learned in their education. In this case a marketing major should definitely be able to adapt to a marketing career, especially if it is what they are passionate about. Also, marketing majors often include internships."

Although it is not exactly marketing, data shows that students are actually not prepared by their schools to work:

According to the 2012 IBM Technology Trends report, only one in 10 organizations has the skills needed to benefit from advanced technology such as social software, and nearly half of the educators and students surveyed indicated there are major gaps in their institutions' ability to meet current and future IT skill needs in such areas as social technology and practices. A third industry report indicates that, over the next seven years, the need for highly skilled business intelligence workers in the U.S. alone will dramatically exceed the available workforce--by as much as 60%.

(http://www.fastcompany.com...)

Con pointed that applying what is learnt in their education and adapting to upcoming problems is mostly up to the graduate's ability. While it is true that college students should be responsible of themselves, we should also be aware that in order for students to do so, they need to have a supportive environment which should be provided by the school. Unless schools' goal is not to prepare students to go into the workforce and contribute to the society, then our education system is flawed as it is not doing what it is supposed to effectively. Keep in mind that I am not saying that individuals should not go to school altogether nor that school is useless. What I'm trying to get across is that school as it is now, is inefficient and should be improved and that is by allocating more time for hands on learning.

Internship is indeed useful and should be increased in quantity; however, if taking internship to learn to apply their knowledge and experience what work is like, then going to school is a waste because individuals can learn theories and concepts from books or tutors and take internships to learn the experience. Again, school provide an environment that will encourage us to learn further and prepare ourselves to work. So far, it is not quite effective.
AdamKG

Con

AdamKG forfeited this round.
Jovison

Pro

Jovison forfeited this round.
AdamKG

Con

Jovison and I have agreed to have this debate redone. Please do not vote on this debate.
Posted by AdamKG 2 years ago
AdamKG
Challenge the debate to me directly. You can do that my going onto my profile page and the option should be under my profile picture.
Posted by Jovison 2 years ago
Jovison
i'd love to. so, how am I gonna do it? should i post the link of the new debate to you?
Posted by AdamKG 2 years ago
AdamKG
If you would like to challenge me to this debate for a retry I will accept if you want to start over.
Posted by AdamKG 2 years ago
AdamKG
Sorry about that. I've been busy this past week moving to a new apartment. This was a bad time for me to join a debate.
Posted by Jovison 2 years ago
Jovison
AdamKG you still here?