phoenixgoldfire
TheLadyofTheInternet

Apps that are used in schools to track student details should be banned

phoenixgoldfire

Pro

In my opinion, apps that track students should be banned. this is due to privacy mostly, as nearly all the data contained by these apps is collected and stored by third party companies. I find it very worrying that companies like classdojo store things like where children go to school and what their contact details are. The fact that schools are trusting unknown companies whose biggest asset is a database filled with children's contact details is very disturbing
TheLadyofTheInternet

Con

I will accept this debate as con.
I believe that app tracking technology for students should remain legal since there is lacking evidence to prove otherwise.
phoenixgoldfire

Pro

phoenixgoldfire forfeited this round.
TheLadyofTheInternet

Con

Since con forfeited the round I will just make a quick statement on the matter.

Children are at a high risk of danger through the choices they make from peer pressure as well as more sinister problems such as kidnapping. These tracking devices are created for their own protection as to make sure they're safe. It's also important to remember that it is recommended to be used up to the age of 12 so they are allowed to have a certain amount of freedom when they're old enough.
phoenixgoldfire

Pro

Sorry I was gone my network plugin broke down

The company plans to generate revenue by marketing additional services, like more detailed behavior analyses, to parents.
But ClassDojo could make money from the information it collects in other ways. Another section of the privacy policy says the company may show users advertisements "based in part on your personally identifiable information." If the company started selling data to advertising companies, such as Adcolony, There is no knowing where this data may end up. Another concern is that people applying for a job are not the same as their younger selves. For example we are already seeing job applicants being judged on things they posted on Facebook when they were 11. A problem would then arise if the company or organisation providing the job saw a child's entire educational history before making a final decision. A situation may pop up where people are being offered jobs based on how mature they were as 4 year olds. This would not only be extremely unfair, It would also have the potential for people being employed who are not suitable for the job role.
The point of these apps is that it is supposed to help the child, but the only thing preventing criminals from accessing everything from my mobile number to where I go to school and where I live is a firewall that is used on the wifi access at my school, which I know from experience to be of terrible quality. Imagine if this data fell into the wrong hands
TheLadyofTheInternet

Con

But ClassDojo could make money from the information it collects in other ways. Another section of the privacy policy says the company may show users advertisements "based in part on your personally identifiable information."

I just visited their privacy policy page (link under resources) on their website and found this.

“Do Not Track: ClassDojo does not track its users over time and across third party websites to provide targeted advertising and therefore does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals.”

I could not find any information to prove your statement is correct. Next time I recommend you use actual links to prove you information as anyone can easily quote a statement.

Another concern is that people applying for a job are not the same as their younger selves. For example we are already seeing job applicants being judged on things they posted on Facebook when they were 11.

Judging by the fact that you are only 14 I can make a quick guess that you have yet to hold a job or have not been in the workforce for a long period of time. Employers would never hold judgment against a person by what they did on a social media site at the age of 11. They would only check social media for current information since it is common knowledge that you are not the same person you were back in primary school. Again please back up this “statement” with proof as I was unable to find anything online about people being tracked with things they posted as children on social media sites.

A situation may pop up where people are being offered jobs based on how mature they were as 4 year olds.

Again I very much doubt that, since employers have common sense and would not care about your life when you were 4 years old.

“We only keep a child’s personal information for as long as the account is active, unless we are required by law to retain it”

They would also have no legal way to obtain the information from the company since it is only held for a certain amount of time then destroyed so it would be extremely unlikely an employer would go to all this trouble to get information that not only would no longer exist but they would have no legal ability to get a hold of.

But the only thing preventing criminals from accessing everything from my mobile number to where I go to school and where I live is a firewall that is used on the wifi access at my school, which I know from experience to be of terrible quality.

I highly doubt you have the qualifications or personal know how about the quality of your schools Wi-Fi and even if it is hackable they would be able to pull up personal information with or without the program since your personal information is kept on the schools servers. It is possible that they can gather this information but it is also possible for anyone to hack onto any websites so this program will do nothing to affect your safety.

Your points of argument are based on nothing but theories and fear. They also have no actual proof or any case in which these programs have affected the safety of students. The programs are helpful for parents to learn about their child's progress at school and to become more involved but at a level that would not heavily impose on a students privacy. It is really the next step in education and only time will tell if it is or isn’t a successful way to improve a child's education

Resources
http://www.schoolnewsnetwork.org...;
https://www.classdojo.com...
https://www.classdojo.com...