ViceRegent
condeelmaster

Are Atheists Able to Know Reality from Delusion?

condeelmaster

ViceRegent

Con

Can any atheist come up with a rational way for them to know reality from delusion?

The atheist will bear the BOP.
condeelmaster

Pro

Although I feel the settings of the debate are way too limiting I accept the challenge.

Good luck!
ViceRegent

Con

Good. Tell us how you rationally know reality from delusion?
condeelmaster

Pro

Firstly, I have to state that reality is all in our minds. The reality in which we live is just a construction of our consciousness. Our consciousness creates a reality for us and we experience it. That being said, all we experience, all we think, is reality.

On the other hand, delusion is just a human invention. Delusion has the only purpose of separating the social accepted conception of reality and the not accepted one. For instance, years ago if someone stated that black people were human, he/she would have been known as delusion. Today, It's the opposite. As you can see, what delusion is depends on social agreement and doesn't have any logical reasoning behind.

Then, if delusion depends on the one who looks, the same happens with reality. I can recognize the reality in which I live because It is all what I experience. In the same manner, you can recognize your reality by what you experience, and the same for everyone.

That's basically my argument.
ViceRegent

Con

I did not ask you for your definition of reality and your definition of delusion, but how you know what you claim to know is real and not a delusion. Try again, please.
condeelmaster

Pro

If you read my argument with attention you will understand. Anyway I will repeat how I know reality from delusion.

My reality is all what I experience. All what I perceive conforms my reality.
Delusion is just a social invention, a way of saying " what I believe is true, what you believe is false". Then, what I experience is indeed the reality in which I live.

Let me explain in another way.
I can't never experience something that isn't reality because my reality is my experiences. So, I can logically know that all what I experience is part of my reality and isn't delusional.

ViceRegent

Con

condeelmaster

Pro

Let me explain in another way.

Read the comments to understand the repetitions.
ViceRegent

Con

Sorry about the double post.

So, do I understand you correctly that reality has no objective existence. It is nothing but your subjective understanding based on your subjective experience?
condeelmaster

Pro

Exactly...
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
I would worry if she was my daughter. But she is not
Posted by condeelmaster 1 year ago
condeelmaster
Yes missmedic , if I keep taking ViceRegent seriously, I will start to worry about him hahaha
Posted by ViceRegent 1 year ago
ViceRegent
Man, even their grammar betrays they are reprobate.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
If you don't take him seriously vice regent has a lot of entertainment value. He always makes laugh.
Posted by ViceRegent 1 year ago
ViceRegent
Condeeeel master is desperately trying to convince me that he is mentally ill when I already know he is.
Posted by condeelmaster 1 year ago
condeelmaster
FaustianJustice you are right. Atheist and theist are both human. They know reality in the same way
Posted by condeelmaster 1 year ago
condeelmaster
ViceRegent, I suggest you read Kant, Plato, Aristotle, Hume, Descartes, etc., so you will have a little grasp of metaphysical philosophy. Then we can argue whatever you like to.

Things' descriptions depends on society agreement. If the majority believes a Corvette is an apple, then a Corvette is an apple. That's how knowledge work.

Years ago people said that the earth was plane, that was the reality by then. Now people say that the earth is a globe, and that's reality now. Who knows what reality will be in the future. Social agreement changes and so the perception of reality.
Posted by FaustianJustice 1 year ago
FaustianJustice
"but how does an atheist know what an apple is" --- why wouldn't "they", exactly?
Posted by ViceRegent 1 year ago
ViceRegent
No according to Oxford. They say that enough people believe an apple is a Corvette, it is not an apple. It is a Corvette. But we agree that an apple is an apple, but how does an atheist know what an apple is.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Yes. At least they have no religion to create delusions..But an apple will be an apple. Atheist or theist.
Vote Placed by FaustianJustice 1 year ago
FaustianJustice
ViceRegentcondeelmasterTied
Reasons for voting decision: In the last round, it really seemed like Con sort of conceded to the idea that there is no such thing as a delusion for the person under delusion, its part of their reality, and didn't exactly do anything to contend that the idea of a delusion and reality will vary from individual to individual.
Vote Placed by Jevinigh 1 year ago
Jevinigh
ViceRegentcondeelmasterTied
Reasons for voting decision: I felt the need to award some sort of point for the last round, because it was smooth for pro to end it that way...but, I wasn't really impressed with the argument it self.