TheArgumentativeOne
dipper

Are Bi People Valid

TheArgumentativeOne has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

TheArgumentativeOne

Pro

Definition of Bi: Liking both SEXES, not all genders.
Rules:
Just be nice
Don't be bum hurt if you loose and if I loose I promise not to be bum hurt either.

Of course people who identify as bi are valid in their sexuality. People who think people who are bi are seeking attention, are waiting to choose, are confused, or are trying not to be fully gay are simply uneducated. Many of my friends are bi and later I will include quotes from them about their sexuality. Saying some one's sexuality is a phase is the exact same a telling a straight person they are gay, or bi, or pan, or something else in the spectrum. So I conclude, being bi is valid.
dipper

Con

Warmest regards to my honored opponent; I accept your challenge.

"Parents have no favorite child; they love them all equally."
"Justice is blind, and applies to all."
"No one considers race when making decisions."

These are all "truths" that polite society insists on, and they're all objectively bull manure. Human beings have favorites; from favorite color to favorite food, to best friend, to favorite class in school and beyond. It is in our nature to constantly classify things into one category or another, and to assign them a heirarchic value.

Thus I assert that true bisexuality, in that context, does not exist.

Sure, there can exist someone who is attracted to both males and females. And sure, their craving can waver from time to time, just as I might decide I want coffee iced cream one day and pass it up for rocky road the next. But no matter how many times I elect to pick rocky road to satisfy a whim of the moment, coffee iced cream is and always will be my favorite. It's just that simple.

Bisexual is a term of convenience. Yes, it is often used as a "crutch" by gay people unwilling to fully embrace their gayness during that awkward period when fitting in is so important. Yes, it is sometimes a "phase" because someone has simply not yet experienced the variety of sexual activities available with both genders, and thus has not yet established their true preference. And yes, it is also used by people who want to keep their options open; who want to declare that their whims can change, and they can be in the mood for one or the other depending on the day.

But deep in their heart of hearts, even the most adamant bisexual has an actual preference; true 50/50 is just impossible. There'll always be just that one detail (I'd cite examples, but they'd be graphic to the point of bordering on pornography) that makes one set of equipment more desirable than the other.

And maybe we'd all be better off if we just admit that.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
Welp. Pro hasn't been on for the last 72 hours, so I don't think he even saw your argument. It's pretty good though, even though some people might call it semantics. (And he calls himself the ArgumentativeOne?)
Posted by dipper 1 year ago
dipper
You two should make a debate of it. ;)
Posted by RC-9282 1 year ago
RC-9282
I would dispute your claim that most psychologists agree gender is a social construct....
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
dipper has been writing for a while, very nice presentation! I hope Pro's friends can show 50/50.
Posted by Capitalistslave 1 year ago
Capitalistslave
At the very least, you should define your usage of the word "like" to be "sexually attracted to" so that there is no confusion.
Posted by Capitalistslave 1 year ago
Capitalistslave
RC-9282: Most authorities in psychology would agree that gender is different from biological sex. Gender is what you identify as, and that was decided by society as a whole.

But anyways, I see a problem with your definition of Bi. You should define it as "sexual attraction to both sexes". I like both sexes but I'm not attracted to both sexes. You can like something without being sexually attracted to it.
Posted by RC-9282 1 year ago
RC-9282
You do realize that "sexes" is a synonym to "gender", and by suggesting that there are only two "sexes" you disregard your entire notion of many genders?

Reeeee!