Joey888
TheBenC

Are Diverse Ranges Of Students Helpful In School?

Joey888

Pro

Hello. Today I will be talking about whether student diversity in the classroom is important or not. I believe it to be so, mostly because I have the idea that we will eventually work with people of different races some time in our lives, sooner or later. Having diverse classrooms will help students because during school hours, they will have to work together, and they may even play together during their recess. Preparing students for the future is the motto of many schools, so prepare them by introducing a diverse range of students.
TheBenC

Con

I tried to post my side but the site decided to delete it so...screw it...I dont care now...
Joey888

Pro

That is perfectly fine. Since you encountered some sort of error, I will not post any rebuttal in order to keep this debate a fair one. Thank you for accepting.
TheBenC

Con

Not everyone works in diverse environments. What do you even mean by "diverse environments"? Diverse as in different skin colors? Well there are many areas of the planet that have conservative or liberal ideas but with multiple skin colors. Just watch an episode of the Kardashians 100% liberal with a mix of colors. I have to assume the schools of their environment are mainly liberal schools.

Should conservative people be forced into those mostly liberal schools just for the sake of diversity?

People are comfortable and most likely to learn when they are around their own kind. Forcing people together, people who do not understand each other, causes distractions that hinder growth and learning.

Really, should the poor be forced to deal with rich students (and vice-versa) when they know nothing about each other?

Screw diversity! I want what is best for every single student, what will help them all learn everything they can.
Joey888

Pro

Having rich kids and poor kids in the same classroom is more like "income diversity". The topic here is ethnic diversity. The United States is the country where people of all ethnicities come together. We have a diverse country. Why should we not mix races in the classroom?
TheBenC

Con

You never mentioned ethnicity in your OP. Anyway...

There are many classrooms who have almost 100% one race. Even in mixed race schools, races tend to stick to their own kind. That is how life is in general for many people - races often tend to stick to their own kind.

Classrooms should not be arranged by race (either separating races or artificially mixing the). I also believe they should not be arranged by age.

Classrooms should be arranged by the level of education a student has. We all learn at different speeds. Kids who learn quickly should lumped together. Kids who learn more slowly should be lumped together. Arranging classrooms by learning ability (and possibly the effort a student attempts to learn) is clearly the optimal setup.

Arranging classrooms by race is wrong because there are many better methods.
Joey888

Pro

TheBenC tells me that we should organize classrooms by learning speed. But think about it: do you think a fifteen year old and a six year old who happen to have about the same learning speed want to be in the classroom? Most likely not. Students, especially in elementary schools, want to be with kids their age. So we have students with the same age in the same classrooms, but we should add a little something to that: different people of differnet races. America is an immigrant country, so we might as well introduce mixed races in a classroom. By the way, what are your better methods that you mentioned at the end? What is better than arranging students by race?
TheBenC

Con

There are kid geniuses who graduated college at age 10! They graduated along side 22 year olds.

Why hold back a genius like that just because he (the person I mention was a boy) is young? He should be taught what he is capable of learning.

Mixed races are fine as long as the area around the school has mixed races. If an area is 100% white, the school should be 100% white. The same applies to other races. Forcing races to mix by shipping in students from far away, for the sole sake of mixing races, is a silly concept.

Arranging students by learning speed and effort is the best option. Schools should teach physics to whoever is capable of learning physics regardless of age or race.

Saying "no, you can't learn physics because you are too young"...nope, that is wrong.
Joey888

Pro

When I said that I wanted diverse classrooms, I wouldn't pull out kids from all around the world and put them in one classroom. I just wanted to have kids in surrounding areas, maybe in one neighborhood, and put them all in one classroom, or several diverse classrooms. Again, diverse classrooms are better because they offer students of different races to meet different cultures. I thank you again for accepting this debate, and making this a great debate.
TheBenC

Con

I am white (mostly German and Redneck!) and went to a school that was over 60% black (Euclid Ohio, feel free to look it up because it has even fewer white students now). I have a fair amount of experience with diverse races in classrooms. I was a minority. Blacks were the majority. There were a lot of Asians and Hispanics too.

The thing is, you can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

In my experience, the majority of people stuck with their race. I had black friends. A white friend of mine hung out mainly with some Asian kids. There are exceptions but overall everyone sticks to their own kind. They have more in common with their own kind. They are more comfortable with their own kind.

You can put kids of all races together but they will typically keep to their own race.

You have yet to point out the benefits of diverse races in a classroom other than the generic "preparing them for the future".

And I agree...great and enjoyable debate!
Posted by lord_megatron 7 months ago
lord_megatron
Good work
Posted by lord_megatron 7 months ago
lord_megatron
I think you must change the resolution to diverse range of students, because I was gonna accept and argue that I don't want to study in a forest. The environment refers to the surroundings, and con can easily argue that a change of location is not necessary