Anubisisbunagirl1
The_Lawyer

Are Greeks better than Romans?

Anubisisbunagirl1 has forfeited round #2.

Anubisisbunagirl1

Pro

Hello, Anubisisbunagirl1 here, i will be saying that the Greeks were better than the Romans, for this debate no citations needed, this is mainly opinion with a few facts here and there. It will continue until one person has the other convinced:

Greeks are better than Romans because they had a much smoother and fancier government, they have always been the original best colony.
The_Lawyer

Con

Hello, my name is "The Lawyer" and I'll be debating/supporting that Romans were better then the Greeks. May the better debater win!
--------
To start off the my side of the debate, I'll point out the topic of politics.

Given their level of political skill, the Romans succeeded in unifying Italy. They also went onto unifying the whole Mediterranean world under their rule, which lasted for centuries. Greece, on the other hand, was unable to unify internally. Greece for most of it's history was divided, separate communities (city states) within Greece formed their own variation of government. Not only were they divided through politics and government, but by ideals and focuses (Example - Sparta (Military) and Athens (Knowledge and Culture)). These factors would cause wars to break out between the city states over influence and who was right. It had to be forcibly unified by Alexander the great conquering them. But even after this, Greece soon divided once again after Alexander's death in 323 BC (the unity of Alexander's whole empire only lasted for a short time due to having his Empire divided among his four generals).

The Romans developed a form of government known as a republic. A republic is a form of government where elected officials govern the state and are responsible to the voters who elect them. The rich and powerful people of ancient Rome were the patricians, who governed the city from the Senate. The Senate was Rome's governing body during the Roman republic and where people were voted into office once a year by an Assembly of citizens and the men of property. We can see this influence of government within our own American government with the two party system and the ability to elect political leaders into our state and national government. I'm willing to debate this to be more superior and more important of a influence then Greece. You might debate that Greece was the first to think of and enact "Democracy," which our government "follows." From that point, I would point out the topic of whether America is a Democracy or a Republic (Which America fits in both). So through the mention of the topic of which government does America follow more, I state that the argument of Greece being better because of the creation of Democracy is useless because of the fact is it depends on the person's belief or opinion. And in my opinion, America is more of a Republic because it uses the republican system heavily.

Therefore, in my opinion, in the topic of Politics and in general, Rome is better then Greece.