Motormouth
LiamWhlaes

Are Hugs Necessary?

LiamWhlaes

Motormouth

Con

Hugs are not necessary. For some reason I needed a silly debate. XD
Here are the rules:
1. No profanity, name calling, being racist, prejudice or jerkiness ( in this debate there is no free rights*)
2. Be nice please I suck at debates.
3. Have Fun!!( you HAVE to*)
4. There are no more rules.
For anyone who accepts this challenge: Good luck my friend(or foe) I wish you to be a great person who knows how to argue.
*= Just Kidding :P
LiamWhlaes

Pro

I accept your challenge (picks the gauntlet up off floor)
Motormouth

Con

Great shall we start the debating? XD Be prepared to be out-funned!!!!!
LiamWhlaes

Pro

Point 1
If you were about to fall off a high cliff and the other person you were with did not have hands a hug would be pretty necessary for your continued survival

Point 2
You are choking on the pen lid you were chewing on, a heimlich maneuver (which is very huggy) could save your life

Point 3
You just left the toilet seat up and your girlfriend is mad, a hug would let you avoid an apology

Point 4
Your child asks you a really awkward question, the hug can be used as a distraction

Point 5
Hugging is like a free legal high. Holding a hug releases serotonin and makes you all happy

Point 6
Hugging relaxes muscles, allowing you to pass wind freely
Motormouth

Con

Point 1 response: What type of Hug is that? It's called an "embrace" with out hands it's NOT a hug it's an embrace.

Point 2 response: Why would you Hug a person choking. They don't call it hugs It's a maneuver.

Point 3 response: I'm laughing so hard I can't even answer that one. XD

Point 4 response: Just answer the question I mean c'mon when someone asks an awkward question wouldn't an awkward answer help it?

Point 5 response: What if we don't wanna be happy?

Point 6 response: Show my a study on that.
LiamWhlaes

Pro

In your response to both my point 1 and point 2, I refer you to the definition of a hug
"hug(hA2;g): squeeze (someone) tightly in one's arms, typically to express affection"(http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...)
As such it is specifically the act of someone putting their arms around you tightly (hands or no hands)

Also the instructions for performing a heimlich maneuver

"Abdominal thrusts are an emergency technique for clearing a blockage from the airway of an adult or child over one year old who is choking. They are also known as the Heimlich manoeuvre.
Important: Do not use abdominal thrusts with babies under one year old, pregnant women or people who are obese.
Stand behind the person who is choking.
Place your arms around their waist and bend them well forward.
Clench your fist and place it right above the person's navel (belly button).
Place your other hand on top, then thrust both hands backwards into their stomach with a hard, upward movement.
Repeat this until the object stuck in their throat comes out of their mouth."
(http://www.nhs.uk...)

So it involves both putting your arms around someone and also tightening your grasp.
Although this also shows that in this instance it is not applicable to babies under one year old (You would need a different necessity to hug them, such as them falling off a cliff and you having no hands)

Point 3 - No argument given, I think that one is pretty clear cut

Point 4 - Sometime children are not ready for the truth as they would not be able to comprehend the gravity of the question they are asking. Lying would not be a preferred option, hence the distraction hug.

Point 5 - If you don't want to be happy a hug could conversely be used as a weapon

Point 6 - Here is a study showing that a hug lowers blood pressure
(http://www.news.com.au...)
Although this shows that this does not work with strangers and has the opposite effect, which also could therefore lead to a hug being used as a weapon or defence technique
Also to support this here is reference to lower blood pressure relaxing muscles
(http://www.med.umich.edu...)
And finally how this leads to flatulence
http://www.vice.com...
Motormouth

Con

Motormouth forfeited this round.
LiamWhlaes

Pro

My opponent has forfeited the last round, I don't know If this is in protest of my more serious second response but let me put a reason behind it.

Initially I started off in the spirit of the debate as being a "silly debate" I believe my first response was true to that description. I was disappointed with my opponents response, they talk about laughing but their responses were actually pretty serious. "What if we don't wanna be happy?", "Show my a study on that.", I felt this was not in the true spirit of the debate laid out by my opponent. So I responded in kind with a well structured follow up to my initial outline and my opponents response.

That or possibly my great arguments have convinced my opponent that Hugs are necessary and they have gone out into the world to seek and give hugs freely, to make the world a happier place.
Posted by Motormouth 2 years ago
Motormouth
Sorry I had lots of schoolwork to catch up on. I really would like you to win.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
MotormouthLiamWhlaesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit, and while I would not say BoP was met by either side, pro did better in rebuttals.
Vote Placed by baus 2 years ago
baus
MotormouthLiamWhlaesTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF with equal conduct.