OliveJuice
DebateMasterDerp

Are Humans Biologically Omnivores?

OliveJuice

Con

Con - Humans are NOT biologically omnivores.
Pro - Humans ARE biologically omnivores.

I am taking the Con position; therefore, I will argue that humans are not biologically intended to be omnivores. Whoever accepts the role of Pro will have to argue that humans were biologically intended to be omnivores.

Round 1 - State Your Claim
Round 2 - Introduction/First Debate Period
Round 3 - Second Debate Period
Round 3 - Final Debate Period/Conclusion

Definitions (Oxford Dictionary) :
"Omnivore" - An animal or person that eats food of both plant and animal origin.
DebateMasterDerp

Pro

Yes they are, even vegetarians technically are they just choose not to eat it. If we weren't we wouldn't be able to tolerate eating either meat or plants.
OliveJuice

Con

OliveJuice forfeited this round.
DebateMasterDerp

Pro

DebateMasterDerp forfeited this round.
OliveJuice

Con

I would also like to wish my opponent good luck in the debate and ask that everyone keep an open mind. Thank you for your time and effort, Pro! Dear Voters, if you are going to vote, please carefully read the entire debate before doing so (yes, this is common sense, but most people do not do so. Just a pet peeve)! I do not have much time to write, but I will do my best to explain everything as thoroughly as possible. Now, on to the debate:

Please allow me to introduce another term into this discussion that is rarely brought up when it comes to the discussion of omnivores, carnivores, and herbivores. Have you ever heard of the word "frugivore"? It is used to categorize an animal--yes, humans are animals--that consumes fruit. On that note, let"s also share some scientific research and discoveries that never made it to the mainstream media. French naturalist and zoologist Georges Cuvier published the following information in R"gne Animal, a collection of books that classified organisms based upon their organization: "Dr. Alan Walker and his associates, anthropologists at John Hopkins University, using the most modern electronic microscopic equipment, state: "Preliminary studies of fossil teeth have led to the startling suggestion that our early human ancestors (Australopithecus) were not predominantly meat-eaters or even eaters of seeds, shoots, leaves or grasses, nor were they omnivorous. Instead they appear to have subsisted chiefly on a diet of fruit. Every tooth examined from the hominids of the 12 million year period leading up to Homo Erectus appeared to be that of a fruit-eater." The natural food of man, judging from his structure, appears to consist principally of the fruits, roots, and other succulent parts of vegetables. His hands afford every facility for gathering them; his short but moderately strong jaws on the other hand, and his canines being equal only in length to the other teeth, together with his tuberculated molars on the other, would scarcely permit him either to masticate herbage, or to devour flesh, were these condiments not previously prepared by cooking." That being said, if you were not already aware of this information, you are probably wondering why it is that humans eat meat and vegetables in this time period. I do not need to explain this myself, since it has already been done time and time again by little-known scientists and researchers, one of whom is Carolus Linnaeus, a Swedish botanist, zoologist, and physician. Not only did this man establish the scientific method that is accepted today for classifying animals and plants, but he also classified humans as frugivores. He wrote, "To say that humans have the anatomical structure of an omnivore is an egregiously inaccurate statement. Man's structure, internal and external compared with that of the other animals, shows that fruit and succulent vegetables are his natural food." Furthermore, an American author by the name of Herbert M Shelton stated that, "I do not intend to enter into any lengthy discussion of comparative anatomy and physiology at this place, but will content myself with saying that every anatomical, physiological and embryo-logical feature of man definitely places him in the class frugivore. The number and structure of his teeth, the length and structure of his digestive tract, the position of his eyes, the character of his nails, the functions of his skin, the character of his saliva, the relative size of his liver, the number and position of the milk glands, the position and structure of the sexual organs, the character of the human placenta and many other factors all bear witness to the fact that man is constitutionally a frugivore." These facts conclude that humans have only recently begun to eat meat. This is believed to be due to poor conditions in which early humans imitated other animals in order to gain a source of food, although we now know that this was not necessarily a healthy addition. It has also been noted that humans are very similar to Orangutans (over 95% of our DNA is identical) and similar primates, which are frugivores. With so many people in the world of science that back up this classification, it should be crystal clear that humans are not omnivores, herbivores, or carnivores. However, it clearly does not sit this way with most people; in short, this is because of the enormous sizes of the meat, dairy, grain, and pharmaceutical industries, which I do not care to elaborate on.

Also, you bring up several points that I had already intended to address. Blatantly put, you bring forth these ideas in a rather weak manner; nevertheless, they are important to include if you are going to understand my argument. As can be seen above, you stated that, "...even vegetarians technically [sic] are [sic] they just choose not to eat it. If we weren't [sic] we wouldn't be able to tolerate eating either meat or plants." Please correct me if I am wrong, but what you are saying is that people are are biologically designed to be omnivores regardless of whether or not they eat meat or vegetables because they can tolerate eating both meat and vegetables. Before digging into the real root of the issue, let's get something straightened out. I'm not exactly sure how you define the word "tolerate". Especially when compared with non-animal foods such as vegetables and fruits, I don't think that "tolerate" is the right definition for choking down skin, tissue, organs, muscle, fat, and tendons of other species that cause heart disease, alzheimer's, cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, and countless other problems. If you honestly do not believe these facts, do your own homework. A book on the topic that is highly recommended is "The China Study", written in 2005 by a nutritional biochemistry professor at Cornell University. Moving on, the online Zeitgeist Forum adds further scientific facts regarding the issue, "Our long human intestinal tract actually makes it dangerous for us to eat meat, since bacteria has extra time to multiply during the long trip through the digestive system as the meat begins to rot. In addition to being anatomically ill equipped to digest meat in the short-term,the long-term damage that a meat-based diet wreaks on the human body confirms that we"re not meant to eat flesh. The saturated fat and cholesterol in meat can cause heart disease, cancer, diabetes, strokes, or obesity in humans,but not in carnivores." Once again, the human body is not physically designed to eat and digest meat. An example of this is the differences in stomachs within the categories of animals. Carnivores have a very small, rounded stomach that is designed to digest flesh quickly and easily, while herbivores have more complicated stomachs that often adjoin and have ring-shaped convolutions. We all know what a human stomach looks like, right? It is a folded, oblong organ designed to hold food for a fairly long period of time, which is what every other frugivorous stomach looks like. This point can be proved with a number of other body parts, as well. You also went on to claim that if humans were not omnivores, we would not be able to consume either meat or vegetables. This illustrates a total lack of either cluelessness or ignorance in the areas of biological classification and the fact that herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores are not the only possibilities out there.

"Science Verifies That Humans Are Frugivores." Scribd. Web. 3 Oct. 2014. <https://www.scribd.com...;.

"Were Humans Meant to Eat Meat?" Were Humans Meant to Eat Meat? Web. 3 Oct. 2014. <http://www.rense.com...;.

"Animal Kingdom (Cuvier)." Wikipedia. Web. 3 Oct. 2014. <http://fr.wikipedia.org...(Cuvier)>.

Evolutionary Nutrition: The Scientific and Theoretical Validation of Veganism. Amenta Gaithersburg, Maryland, 2003. Print.
DebateMasterDerp

Pro

DebateMasterDerp forfeited this round.
OliveJuice

Con

Since my opponent has not yet made a refutation, my point stands. However, I am simply going to provide readers with a few more sources of information regarding the topic.

"Are Humans Frugivores?" Are Humans Frugivores? Raw Food Health. Web. 7 Oct. 2014. <http://www.raw-food-health.net...;.

"Human as Frugivore." Human as Frugivore. Whale. Web. 7 Oct. 2014. <http://www.whale.to...;.

"Why Humans Are Not Meant to Eat Meat." Our Compass. Web. 7 Oct. 2014. <http://our-compass.org...-
are-not-meant-to-eat-meat/>.

"Study: Eating Meat and Cheese as Deadly as Smoking? - Food Revolution Network." Food Revolution Network. Web. 7 Oct. 2014.

<http://foodrevolution.org... Dangers of Eating Meat!" Dherbs. Web. 7 Oct. 2014.
<http://dherbs.com...;.

"15 Reasons Why You May Want to Reconsider Eating Meat." Evolving Wellness RSS. Web. 7 Oct. 2014.

<http://www.evolvingwellness.com...;.

"The Effects on Humans of Eating Meat | SikhNet." SikhNet. Web. 7 Oct. 2014.
<http://www.sikhnet.com...;.
DebateMasterDerp

Pro

DebateMasterDerp forfeited this round.