Mootypotuty
Surrealism

Are Men Superior To Women?

Surrealism

Mootypotuty

Pro

I'm going to start by saying that i am a man and am not directly saying that man is better than women. Based on what I have seen as a kid and in society today, men seem superior. Growing up, my mom would turn to my dad to deal with a situation or "figure it out." My dad could always calmly handle situations and to the best of his ability come up with a solution. When my parents got divorced, my mom seemed to turn to me when something needed to be done or if she needed to know what we should do in certain situations. As a 17 year old kid, i didn't know what to do half the time. I did what my dad did, i calmly handled the situation and thought logically.

What i see in society today seems similar. I rarely see women that take control of the situation and finding a solution. I have seen lots of women who seem to have that quality, its just not common i guess. MOST women don't seem to be able to calmly handle problems in heat of the moment based on what iv'e seen. They seem to let their emotions take them over way more than men.

In high school there were very few teachers (male and female) that students respected. I never had a women teacher that made me think "wow, she really knows what she's doing. I better pay attention so she likes me." I have had 2 male teachers that I (and any other students) respected and thought highly of. My 11th grade English teacher Mr. Johnson. The way he obviously knew what he was doing and knew how to teach it effectively made everyone listen to him. He seemed like a cool guy and someone i could look up to. Not saying a women couldn't make that connection with her students, i'm just saying i haven't seen it. One difference i noticed with male and female teachers is that when a student was being disruptive the female teacher would warn them about what she will do and the male teacher would just send them to hall for however long he wanted. The male teachers took more control over the situation whereas the female teachers either didn't know how or was afraid to.

Something I don't understand about women is that they put us men on such a high pedestal. You let men handle all the situations and make all the decisions then want to be treated equally or even thought to be better than men.

Another argument is with other species isn't there always a dominant sex? Some species the female is dominent and in others the male is right?
Surrealism

Con

All the evidence given by Pro is anecdotal evidence. However, anecdotal evidence is not reliable or proof of anything beyond one's own personal experience. When one wishes to establish truths about the world, personal experience may taint one's observations.

"The reason for this cognitive disconnect is that we have evolved brains that pay attention to anecdotes because false positives (believing there is a connection between A and B when there is not) are usually harmless, whereas false negatives (believing there is no connection between A and B when there is) may take you out of the gene pool. Our brains are belief engines that employ association learning to seek and find patterns. Superstition and belief in magic are millions of years old, whereas science, with its methods of controlling for intervening variables to circumvent false positives, is only a few hundred years old. So it is that any medical huckster promising that A will cure B has only to advertise a handful of successful anecdotes in the form of testimonials." [1]

Worse yet, studies have been conducted, and the ideas maintained by Pro about his father being more intelligent than his mother are not unique. In fact, the opinions expressed by Pro are quite common, being the result not of elaborate observation, but of regional and cultural upbringing. [2]

In summary, Pro has given no evidence beyond anecdotal for his claims, and the anecdotal evidence he has given can easily be shown to be a result of circumstance.

[1] http://www.scientificamerican.com...

[2] http://www.tandfonline.com...
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
Men are superior to women.
Women are superior to men.
Viva le difference.
Posted by evangambit 3 years ago
evangambit
Absolutely, and I agree with you. I'm just suggesting that a much stronger argument was possible -- that is, it would have been quite possible to offer some affirmative evidence for yourself, rather than simply discrediting his own.
Posted by Surrealism 3 years ago
Surrealism
Um, I DID respond to the anecdotal evidence with my second source.
Posted by evangambit 3 years ago
evangambit
Anecdotal evidence may not be as accurate or strong as other types of evidence, but that doesn't mean you don't have anything to respond to. It still (relatively weakly) suggests s/he is correct. While questioning the soundness of your opponent's evidence is certainly worth doing, it is useless without offering some of your own. Opponent has placed X weight on her/his side of the scale and, no matter how much you reduce it, it still outweighs your zero :p
Posted by SnowyOxygen 3 years ago
SnowyOxygen
I believe that in an evolutionary and biological sense, males are the dominant figures in homo sapiens. But now that we have come to think for ourselves, we like to make ourselves equal.
Posted by khizr 3 years ago
khizr
If you look back in history you will find that the the greatest scientist, the best cook, the greatest inventors, great leaders were all men. In these cases the men have the upper hand. Men are more rational and better at keeping emotions out of there way.

But when it comes to things relating to beauty, emotions, helping women have the upper hand. for example
The face which launched a thousand ships, mother Teresa etc.

Both are similar not identical.
Posted by Mootypotuty 3 years ago
Mootypotuty
The only reason I took the pro side was because I had to choose one to post the debate. I didn't understand the counter argument at all can someone please translate it lol
Posted by AlternativeDavid 3 years ago
AlternativeDavid
I wouldn't count on anybody here to go easy on you. There are plenty of noob snipers that would be happy to take this assuming that A) You'll leave halfway through and never come back or B) They can beat you through experience and semantics.
Posted by Mootypotuty 3 years ago
Mootypotuty
I am new to the site and do not understand how all the rounds and crap work. Please consider that while taking a side.
Posted by AlternativeDavid 3 years ago
AlternativeDavid
The hamartia in this first round argument by Pro is that it is subjective and based on personal experience. I recommend taking down the debate and taking a more objective stance.
Vote Placed by Mister_Man 3 years ago
Mister_Man
MootypotutySurrealismTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gave reasonable explanations and personal experiences as well as rational arguments, whereas Con just said "you didn't prove anything with facts." Kind of wish debates like these would be longer than one round...
Vote Placed by dynamicduodebaters 3 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
MootypotutySurrealismTied
Reasons for voting decision: con actually provided facts where as pro only provided anecdotes.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
MootypotutySurrealismTied
Reasons for voting decision: con showed pro's evidence was only anecdotal and could not necessarily be trusted.
Vote Placed by TrasguTravieso 3 years ago
TrasguTravieso
MootypotutySurrealismTied
Reasons for voting decision: I have yet to see a one-round debate in which the instigator doesn't lose spectacularly. Sp/Gr - Inconsistent capitalization and punctuation, as well as bizarre grammar on Pro's part. Arguments - Con showed that anecdotal evidence is not a firm basis for an informed opinion, which was enough, as Pro had the BoP. Had Con had said burden however, the argument that Pro's position is due to its upbringing is a genetic fallacy, as knowing the origin of an idea is not an argument against its validity.
Vote Placed by AlternativeDavid 3 years ago
AlternativeDavid
MootypotutySurrealismTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con showed that personal experience is not enough to prove that men are better than women.