Are Minor Attracted People unfairly stigmatized in America?

I strongly believe that Minor Attracted People (labelled pedophiles) in western societies like America are unfairly stigmatized. The attraction to minors is not something you choose and people shouldn't be ostracized simply for their attraction. Child molesters and pedophiles are not the same thing and that should be known. Actions are illegal, thoughts are not.

I wish my opponent the best of luck.

I would like to begin with a quote:
"Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny."

You stated that thoughts are not as bad as actions, but as this quote shows, your thoughts do become your actions. While thoughts are not illegal, actions are, just as you stated, but thought can become actions very quickly, and this is bad. People should be regarded from a different view if they think doing things with minors is perfectly acceptable, because it is not.

I don't know the context of that quote but I have a feeling it's taken out of it's original context. I think that quote is mainly applicable to people that want to do something positive with their lives. "You can do anything that you put your mind to". Now, I could be wrong about the context of the quote but I think I'm right in assuming that. That aside, you say that "thought can become actions very quickly", and while this as a whole isn't false, in the context of pedophilia, it is. An action like molesting someone can be compared to other negative and harming acts like stealing or killing. If you look at it in that context, does one kill someone just because they don't like them? Do people rob because they want something that someone else doesn't have? The answer is: not compulsively. Pedophilia is not a compulsion. It's a sexual orientation with implications around certain actions. The act of killing someone is arrived in the same way to the act of molesting someone or tying your shoes: through choice.
What we call pedophilia isn't compulsory in nature. It is a sexual and often romantic attraction to minors, yes, but this is the same as saying all muslims are terrorists.

"It"s choice " not chance " that determines your destiny."
-Jean Nidetch

You have no proof.

I have no proof of what exactly? That molestation isn't a result of compulsion but a choice? Firstly, it is you who has to prove your side because you (and the rest of american society at least) is making all these assumptions about pedophilia based on little actual fact. It is you that has to prove yourself most of all because it's an established belief and established beliefs should probably be...well, established!
The thing that you fail to grasp is that attraction is not inherently harmful. All men don't rape women simply because they find them attractive. Many view women as beautiful and they treat them as such. Your assertion that pedophilia can't possibly be non-predatory is ridiculous because that just shows that you have no knowledge of what pedophiles are like.

You have to prove to me that all pedophiles ARE viscious.
You have to prove to me that all pedophiles ARE predatory monsters.
You have to prove to me that all pedophiles WANT to hurt children.

And you can't. Why? Because it isn't true. Some pedophiles are horrible people that molest kids and they deserve harsh punishment. That's obvious. But many non-pedophiles are horrible people that molest kids as well (studies have shown that well over half of molestations are done not by pedophiles but close relatives to the child that did what they did for some other reason). They deserve the same punishment.
Not all pedophiles are child rapists. Not all child rapists are pedophiles. This is a fact.
So, you say that I have no "proof" that pedophiles aren't inherently bad? You say that I have no proof that it's an orientation? Well, I just have one question for you and you'll just have to humor me and go along with this scenario.

If you realized your (exclusive or non-exclusive) attraction to minors, would you molest one?
-If pedophiles are inherently bad, you would fantasize about raping children and you'd most likely rape a child given the chance.
-If pedophiles aren't inherently bad and you...*gasp*...have a conscience and any level of self-control, then you would refrain from harming the people you love.

DATGUYINDACORNER forfeited this round.
Posted by BlackFlags 11 months ago
What evidence is there that children are unfairly undergoing the Stigma of Christ?
Posted by Cartograph 11 months ago
I'd vote on this, but I won't give my phone number. Clearly, Stanza won.
Posted by Greg4586 11 months ago
A quote isn't exactly proof, just saying
Posted by ithink-ithink 11 months ago
The thought becomes action isn't necessarily legitimate. People are not purely instinctual creatures; we have rational filtering systems.
There are thousands, even millions of e.g. sexists in this world, but that doesn't mean that all, or even a majority, of those people end up killing or physically harming members of the opposite sex.
I use killing/physically harming because that is a physical act, as molestation would be.

I tend to agree with Pro. I don't absolutely like that I do :P But I think it is correct
Looking forward to the debate outcome!
Posted by Furyan5 11 months ago
I agree, but thoughts lead to actions and a line needs to be drawn that any action associated with such thoughts is illegal.