righty10294
MichaelJ

Are NASCAR drivers athletes?

Started: 11/17/2007 Category: Sports

righty10294

Pro

Yes NASCAR drivers are althletes. I am a strong supporter of NASCAR and belive that it is the best sport on earth. So, these guys are athletes. In a course of a 3 hour race, they can lose 10 or more pounds. How much weight do football players lose in 1 game? Also, the drivers must have very fast reflecise, because they are goin 150 mph and must make sharp turns to avoid wrecks, that could kill them. Also, NASCAR has has multible driver deaths during races, including the best driver ever, Dale Earnhardt. When was the last time a football player has died, let alone the best ever?
MichaelJ

Con

In the strictest definition of the word "athlete," from the Oxford English Dictionary, we find that an "athlete" is

"one who by special training and exercise has acquired great physical strength; one whose profession it is to exhibit feats of strength and activity; a physically powerful, robust, vigorous man."

I chose this definition over the other, which states that an athlete must be proficient in one of the original Olympic games of running, wrestling, jumping, etc... and will submit this as the definition of "athlete" unless my opponent objects.

To be sure, NASCAR drivers are capable and talented at what they do. However, the "sport" of competitive driving can be more closely compared to "sports" such as chess or competitive computer gaming. The driver must outthink his opponent, but his physical prowess has little to do with his victory. Yes, he will lose weight through exertion and he risks death, but these are ancillary to the true game which resides in the mind. If those two things an athlete make, then we expand the definition of athlete to include such people as magicians, explorers, and hunters.

If you are willing to concede that participating in any competition at all makes one an athlete, then your position will hold. However, if you agree that certain competitions (chess, quiz-shows, beauty pageants, etc) rely on a class of competitor that is very skilled and yet can not properly be called an athlete, then it stands that NASCAR drivers are not, in fact, athletes.
righty10294

Pro

Your argument only helped mine. A driver has more physical endrunce and stenght than any other sport. They must conatin the steering wheel while driviing 200 mph and that wheel is heavy.

Here is something to think about, an athelete is somoeone who can't eat during their respective sport. I'm sorry but you can barly eat driving at 30 let alone 190 mph. Then in baseball? That is a whole diffrent story.

Also, chess is a recriational activity that anyone can do. Anyone can't race a car. It is over 130 degrees int he car and they wear 5 plus layers. You couldn't last one lap, let alone 3 hours.

Another thing is that NASCAR drivers have more phsical strenght than any other athlete. They work out everyday doing cardio and lifting. When they lift, sure it isn't 220 bench press, but they work parts that no cares about, their necks. They must be able to with stand 6-7 g's for a race, which is more than leagally allowed in the US for rollar coasters.

So, get your facts straight.
MichaelJ

Con

I'll refute your arguments one at a time, as I see them. If there are any that I miss, please let me know.

1- "A driver has more physical endurance and strength than any other sport"-

That's quite an assertion. Do you have any facts to back it up?

2- "They must contain the steering wheel while driving 200 mph and that wheel is heavy"

I never said that driving a race-car wasn't difficult. However, does this mean that anyone who does something that seems difficult is an athlete? That seems to be what you keep saying.

3- "Here is something to think about, an athlete is someone who can't eat during their respective sport."

I'm not sure you thought this one through. You can eat pretty much anywhere if you prepare ahead of time. I'm not going to address this because it seems evident to me that it's not true, but if you want I'll bring up examples.

4- "Also, chess is a recreational activity that anyone can do. Anyone can't race a car. It is over 130 degrees in the car and they wear 5 plus layers. You couldn't last one lap, let alone 3 hours."

Well there are lots of things that "anyone" can't do. Anyone can't fight fires. Anyone can't prove that E equals MC squared. Anyone can't do a rubics cube. Anyone can't eat peanuts (there are lots of allergies out there). At what point does something reach a level where it is no longer recreational and becomes a sport? Is it at golf? Before? After? According to your logic, anyone who does something that not "anyone" can do is an athlete. It's very physically demanding to fly a fighter jet- are the pilots athletes?

Again I just want to say that I never said it wasn't difficult to drive a race car. Then again, it's difficult to do a lot of things, but you aren't necessarily an athlete because you can.

5- "Another thing is that NASCAR drivers have more physical strength than any other athlete."

OK. You find a NASCAR driver and I'll find a boxer or a wrestler somewhere and we'll see who wins in an arm-wrestling contest. You tell me to keep my facts straight, but you keep throwing out these ridiculous assertions.

6- "They must be able to with stand 6-7 g's for a race, which is more than legally allowed in the US for roller coasters."

So an astronaut would also be an athlete.

Look, I have no problem calling NASCAR drivers athletes as long as you're willing to concede that all of the people I've mentioned above, in addition to chess players, magicians, and explorers- are athletes as well.

7- "Keep your facts straight"

Everything that I've said has either been an opinion or a verifiable fact. You, on the other hand, keep offering arguments that are far beyond any semblance of truth because you want so badly to prove your case. That's not how you do it, though- give me facts, give me evidence, and disprove what I have offered up or else don't bother debating.
Posted by gack1224 9 years ago
gack1224
MichaelJ, you are missing a very important point that your opponent has also failed to point out: that NASCAR is physically/mentally demanding AND competitive. They technically compete with other teams of mechanics and drivers while enduring some conditions. However, your opponent continues to fail to be clear or factually backed so the debate for me leans towards CON.
Posted by crronaldo180 9 years ago
crronaldo180
I do have to admit, Michael. You did a very good job of debating. I suggest you do a poll of who thinks NASCAR is a sport when this website gets surveys in the near future.
Posted by crronaldo180 9 years ago
crronaldo180
MichaelJ, you say that to be an athlete you have to train, which drivers do a ton, and exhibit strength or activity. Nascar drivers also do this. They have to hold a vigorously vibrating steering wheel for 3+ miles while keeping the right speed and concentrating on the road and th race while goin hundreds of miles an hour. When the dictionary says strenth or activity also, I think MENTAL activity should be put into perspective. NASCAR drivers also have to keep dozens of thing in mind when driving at such high speeds in such conditions, and if anything distracts them for a second it could mean a loss or a crash. For example, billiards is a sport, and NASCAR is much more physically and mentally demanding than billiards.
Posted by righty10294 9 years ago
righty10294
i know my agrument stunck, that is do to the cause that i was on a cruise during the debate and my internet time cost money, so I had to rush it.
Posted by sidlee03 9 years ago
sidlee03
Easy2know, you have a good point.
But I voted for Michael because he did do a better job of debating.
Posted by easy2know 9 years ago
easy2know
Michael, first why do you debate if you don't believe in your cause..? Is it the thrill of just winning..? Do you feel it is fair to manipulate people for your cause regardless if it's a dishonest representation of truths..? I personally think most everyone "was" aware the opposite "couldn't" be proven. Even in your last statement you said (Everything that I've said has either been an "opinion" or a verifiable fact.) My personnel feelings are most people now days are more aware of the spin tactics some use to gain favor. Something that I recently posted was (the stealthiness of the bird of pray is casting more and more shadows)..as that was just a metaphor, the point is people are not stupid and will vote for whats right, regardless of those with greater or better verbal skills. After all aren't we all allowed or entitled to a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter..?
Posted by MichaelJ 9 years ago
MichaelJ
Just so everyone is aware- I actually believe that NASCAR drivers are athletes. I just took this debate to show that the opposite can be proven. Considering my opponent forfeited and, on top of that, didn't disprove any of my arguments and let his position fall, I'm confused as to why everyone seems to be voting for his side. I understand if you believe NASCAR drivers are athletes, but this isn't opinion.com, it's debate.org... you're supposed to vote based on who did the better job at debating. I'm all for losing when I have debated poorly, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case here...
Posted by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
its not just being a good driver you need skill that takes years and years to master
Posted by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
you need good...wait great reaction time, you need muscle control and bladder control, you need to control a vibrating wheel for 3+ hours you can't eat or drink.
Posted by revleader5 9 years ago
revleader5
If being a good driver in heat counts as an athlete, yes. What muscles besides a strong ankle that an idiot with road rage could have are required?
Vote Placed by rwebberc 9 years ago
rwebberc
righty10294MichaelJTied
Vote Placed by AntiPatriot 9 years ago
AntiPatriot
righty10294MichaelJTied
Vote Placed by BB1 9 years ago
BB1
righty10294MichaelJTied
Vote Placed by Bigmomma1 9 years ago
Bigmomma1
righty10294MichaelJTied
Vote Placed by kenito001 9 years ago
kenito001
righty10294MichaelJTied
Vote Placed by texasrulz10 9 years ago
texasrulz10
righty10294MichaelJTied
Vote Placed by Schnozberry 9 years ago
Schnozberry
righty10294MichaelJTied
Vote Placed by Karoz 9 years ago
Karoz
righty10294MichaelJTied
Vote Placed by Ineffablesquirrel 9 years ago
Ineffablesquirrel
righty10294MichaelJTied
Vote Placed by HatedvsLoved 9 years ago
HatedvsLoved
righty10294MichaelJTied