Midnight_Wind
PsionicTurtle

Are Plants Animals (Just for fun)

Started: 12/13/2016 Category: Funny

Midnight_Wind

Con

JUST A SILLY DEBATE! NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY! I couldn't think of another topic XD
PsionicTurtle

Pro

Hi, I am glad to accept this debate.

I would like to begin with a definition of the word 'animal'
An animal is described as "any such living thing other than a human being." (1)
Therefore, since plants are alive, they are technically considered animals.

1. http://www.dictionary.com...
Midnight_Wind

Con

Thank you for accepting my silly debate(unless you actually believe it, then it is not silly)
Yes, that is the general definition, but this is the professional one:
"A living organism belonging to Kingdom Animalia that possess several characteristics that set them apart from other living things, such as:

(1) being eukaryotic (i.e. the cell contains a membrane-bound nucleus) and usually multicellular (unlike bacteria and most protists, an animal is composed of several cells performing specific functions) (
2) being heterotrophic (unlike plants and algae that are autotrophic, an animal depends on another organism for sustenance) and generally digesting food in an internal chamber (such as a digestive tract)
(3) lacking cell wall (unlike plants, algae and some fungi that possess cell walls)
(4) being generally motile, that is being able to move voluntarily
(5) embryos passing through a blastula stage
(6) possessing specialized sensory organs for recognizing and responding to stimuli in the environment" (http://www.biology-online.org...)
PsionicTurtle

Pro

Thank you for the prompt response, and first I would like to define the term 'Kingdom Animalia'
Taxonomic kingdom comprising all living or extinct animals. http://www.biology-online.org...
Therefore, the only requirement for this is to be an animal, which I can prove by proving plants meet the other requirements.

So to start, Plants are multicellular and are eukaryotic.

On the second point, I would like to state two things
First, since plants consume nutrients in the soil that come from other dead animals and plants they could be considered heterotrophic, and some plants do survive on other organisms, such as the venus flytrap.

While plants do not have a cell membrane, their cell wall is very similar and the main difference is the cell wall is not living. However, they have cells with cell membranes and some have cell walls covering cell membranes.

Plants are able to move through their growth. This is evidenced by how trees and other plants grow towards sunlight.

The blastula stage is when there are 128 cells in an embryo, which seeds and plants do reach.

On sensory organs, plants " can sense, learn, remember and even react in ways that would be familiar to humans." which means they have a way of sensing their environment.
http://www.pri.org...

In conclusion, plants meet all the requirements for being considered an animal.
Midnight_Wind

Con

About your first citing from http://www.dictionary.com..., The first entry explains it all the same. You twisted the information to fit your argument.
PsionicTurtle

Pro

I did not attempt to twist information, I used the simpler definition. This is irrelevant since the criteria have been proven to be met.

Your lack of an argument is proof that you have accepted defeat, as otherwise you would have made another argument or rebut mine.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate the debate.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: jo154676// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Con (Conduct, Sources). Reasons for voting decision: Con used a definition specific to the subject matter rather than the general definition that pro used. The sources used were the same concept, con used a biology website while pro used a general dictionary website.

[*Reason for removal*] As this is a "just for fun" debate, the standards for voting on this debate are not as stringent as for others. However, the voter is still required to explain all point allocations. That requires explaining conduct in this instance, which the voter does not do.
***********************************************************************
Posted by Midnight_Wind 1 year ago
Midnight_Wind
Yea. sometimes it seems like they are (venues flytraps) but other times not(carrots)
Posted by PsionicTurtle 1 year ago
PsionicTurtle
It was fun.

They sort of are, but I don't really have that much of an opinion on the matter.
Posted by Midnight_Wind 1 year ago
Midnight_Wind
It was fun! Do you actually believe plants are animals, though?