AveyC
Bogcha

Are Same-Sex schools better for education?

AveyC

Con

Hello.
I do not think same-sex schools are better for education because in order for the world to go-round it takes people of different ages, genders, and races and schools are a good way to start to introduce children to this. Especially when it comes to group work all different genders call for a great group. You are basically restricting girls to only have girls as friends and boys to only have boys as friends.
Bogcha

Pro

I would like to thank the Instigator (CON) for this debate topic. I will be debating in favor of same/single sex education.

1. Public Opinions and observations on Single Sex (Gender restricting) schools: [1]

- Some parents have reported that they do not want their child to be surrounded/in proximity of a opposite gender individual (ie. a boy near a girl scholar) from an early age because that can be a source of distraction;

-The drop-out rate seems to reduce in classes/schools that are gender restricting/oriented; [2]

- Problems can be addressed as a whole when the class is composed of a singular gender, where the teacher/instructor/professor can address concerns that can arise (One guy might be unsure of something he might ask his friend who also has the same problem vs asking a girl who will not have it). [3]

2. What the Studies show: [1]

- It has been proven that boys, in general, are able to better accumulate information and study in a much cooler environment, the contrary being for girls (ie. they prefer warmer rooms) [1]

- More than one-third of Americans feel parents should have the option of sending their child to a single-sex school. (25% of respondents oppose the idea.) [1]

- Dominance (usually revolved around male dominance) is being reduced from an early age where girls will be less pressured by the male dominant subjects such as math and sciences. [1] Boys on the other hand will feel the same in regards to female dominated subjects such as English arts and poetry [1]

-Federal law supports the option of single-sex education. In 2006, Education Secretary Margaret Spellings eased federal regulations, allowing schools to offer single-sex classrooms and schools, as long as such options are completely voluntary.

[1] http://www.greatschools.org...
[2] http://www.educationworld.com...
[3] http://www.edweek.org...
AveyC

Con

There are very few parents who feel they don't want their child in proximity of the opposite sex for non-legitimate reasons, studies have also shown that theses are not because of distraction therefore that is a stupid answer. Problems in the real world involve both genders and I feel solving these problems separately only calls for greater problems in the future and it is easier and better on time to do so. Also with parents whom have multiple children of different genders, regular schools are an easy solution for all the children to stay together; siblings make each other stronger.
Bogcha

Pro

Remember what we are debating here CON, not what is convenient for the parents, but rather who can get a better education ( "Also with parents whom have multiple children of different genders, regular schools are an easy solution for all the children to stay together; siblings make each other stronger.")

My points prove that gender specified controlled environments have been proven to be more effective than cramming all the genders in one place. You will have to prove why that is not so.

"There are very few parents who feel they don't want their child in proximity of the opposite sex for non-legitimate reasons, studies have also shown that theses are not because of distraction therefore that is a stupid answer"
I suppose you did not read entirely my statement nor did you look at the reference, but I will give you a some numbers nonetheless.

This is what I wrote "More than one-third of Americans feel parents should have the option of sending their child to a single-sex school. (25% of respondents oppose the idea." I will do some simple math with the provided info. The population of America (USA) is estimated at 318.9 million [1] ;now, 318,900,000 X (1/3) = 106.3 million. I know that these studies have not been done on every single American but I am using that population number as an arbitrary number. Now it says that 25% oppose the idea. 318,900,000 X (1/4) = 79.725 million. Now lets see which is the highest. 79.725 million / 106.3 million = 0.75. Therefore we can draw the conclusion that (if the numbers weren't obvious) the individuals/parents that are pro same sex education is 1.333X bigger than those who oppose it.

[1] https://www.google.ca...
AveyC

Con

This is what I believe and I believe you in fact will get a better education from schools in which the genders are mixed. By doing this children get a better taste of the real world and get to experience it before it actually comes, in the real world and workforce you will have to deal with men and women of different ages, genders, and races. I also feel that same-sex schools are discriminating the opposite sex and obviously that is not a good part of the education system. They are shunning the opposite sex which should not be taught in schools, the answer is in plain view.
Bogcha

Pro

Con,

I will keep this brief since it is the end of the debate.
I do not agree with you since you have not given any references to backup your claims. We will let the voters decide who had better conduct/proof.

Thank you for the debate and good luck :)

VOTE PRO!!!
Posted by can200114 1 year ago
can200114
It is impossible same sex schools to be better for education . Sex may make person think differently if someone invariably stays with same sex they thoughts will be static .
Posted by Lord_Of_The_Flames 1 year ago
Lord_Of_The_Flames
Same sex schools are better for education in my opinion because it removes the distraction of relationships.
Posted by whiplatch 1 year ago
whiplatch
this is stupid to even debate on.. All I see is the gender role agenda being pushed on everyone. Why would you not want your kids mixed with different genders? That's life your going to need To mingle with everyone.
Posted by DeltaMed910 1 year ago
DeltaMed910
I vote pro, but I guess i was too late.
Posted by Aayankhan 1 year ago
Aayankhan
Depend on schools rules and regulations, how they treat students, what manners and respect teach them. Mostly seprate schools are better then co-schools.
Posted by MakeSensePeopleDont 1 year ago
MakeSensePeopleDont
Well, assuming you are referring to the whole sexual attraction and distraction issues within standard public schools; I would have to respond very bluntly, seems like a joke or whatever, but it's a serious response.

Soooooo...here goes nothing:

It depends if you're straight or gay.
Posted by LiterallyCertain 1 year ago
LiterallyCertain
Are same sex schools better for educations (against)

Pros

It would defiantly minimise the drama with the opposite sex being in the school, with relationships and emotions putting kids minds unfocused with their actual school work and less motivated to do it while they are thinking about doing another task.

A lot of kids would most likely feel more comfortable in the school without the opposite sex there, people usually aren't themself or uncomfortable with the opposite gender being there, everyone knows why..

Cons

Kids will take advantage with themself being to comfortable with the school and they will more likely just muck around all day unfocused with their fellow classmates.. A lot of people will naturally not want to be in school anyway, so it will defiantly make them figure out the privileges of a same-sex school.

I think that regular schools are better for education with things that will automatically happen in your life anyway and it is getting you ready for the real world, but realistically the teachers and staff crew at schools are the real causes if the school is either good or bad.
Posted by Dominiquebarry 1 year ago
Dominiquebarry
I believe that yes same sex schools would be better, im a girl myself and im usuing myself as my own source. But alot of times i struggle with self worth when it comes to boys and it distracts me from my school work, so yes i do believe same sex schools are not an issue, its not like were seperating races or anything.
Posted by ThatxRantingxTeen 1 year ago
ThatxRantingxTeen
It's been proven than girls learn better in an all-girls school but boys learn better in mixed schools.

It depends on the gender, as stated above.
Posted by erwint.2021 1 year ago
erwint.2021
P.S. Please vote con @ http://www.debate.org...