ChaoticAlex320
shake0615

Are School Destroying Creativity

ChaoticAlex320

Pro

Is it a coincidence that pretty much all children love to write stories, have fantastic imaginations, enjoy getting messy, painting, making music, inventing characters, acting out plays, drawing and making things? Why don"t we carry this natural capacity throughout adulthood? Why would nature intend us to lose these gifts?
This is what schools do today. Rather than helping kids achieve their goals and dreams. They thwart every one of their attempts by regulating them to the same classes over and over again, whenever they express their imagination they are told to get back to reality and get their head out of the clouds, tell them "You won't get a job doing that," and would call any kid who would challenge them like I am, a delinquent on the street.

Take Black History Month for example. Every single time they teach us the same negative things, slavery, discrimination, you name it. They can't teach us about Ray Charles, who pioneered the genre of Soul Music? Or Desmond Tutu who lead in the apartheid movement? When you ask them these things, they will tell you it's how the curriculum helps you learn.

As Ken Robinson, a man who gave a TED Talk on this exact same thing said,
"All children have tremendous talent and we squander them pretty ruthlessly," he goes on to say. "Picasso once said that all children are born artists. The problem is to remain an artist as we grow up. I believe passionately that we don"t grow into creativity, we grow out of it. We are educated out of it."

In short, we"ve been educated to become good workers, rather than creative thinkers. We teach children to be part of the system governing our society- uniformed, respectful of authority, scared of making mistakes. "If you"re not prepared to be wrong, you"ll never come up with anything original," Robinson points out. "Kids aren"t afraid to make mistakes. If they don"t know, they"ll take a chance. But by the time they become adults most kids have lost that capacity. They have become frightened of being wrong. We run our companies this way. And we"re now running national education systems where mistakes are the worst thing you can make."

Rather than actually educating kids today, we're just teaching them what to do in college and how to be good workers. And in fact, kids who do have creative minds and are hyperactive are just diagnosed with things such as ADHD, given a medication, and brushed aside. We blame the minorities for being at the bottom, when maybe we ourselves can do things to bring them up, but we won't.

To make a long story short, if you want your kids to start learning, stop regulating them, quit punishing them for stupid mistakes, and let your kids be creative thinkers rather than just good workers.

Read More: http://www.trueactivist.com...
shake0615

Con

While you raise some excellent points and I agree wholeheartedly with many of Sir Ken Robinson's, I take issue with pointing the finger at "schools." Before beginning the debate, I would like to clarify a few points of argument:

1) When you refer to "schools" are you primarily concerned with public or private ones, and which country's education system are you considering? I assume you are referring to American public schools based on your first argument.
2) How do you define "creativity?" Robinson defines it as the "process for having original ideas of value" (more or less his words). Is this the definition you want to work with?

I chose to take up the con side because I find that pointing the finger at "schools" is too vague and does not address the real culprit of the diminished creativity you're referring to. Schools are simply organizations made up of teachers, principals and support staff that provide instruction to their students. As individuals, the vast majority of teachers do their best to inspire creativity and foster critical thinking in their students, and principals aid them in their pursuit. Unfortunately, there are other cooks in the kitchen who are responsible for spoiling the broth, as the saying goes, and they are curriculum standardization and mandated testing. Once the above points are clarified, I hope to demonstrate that it is not the school, but rather these two forces that come from the decision-makers above that kill creativity.
ChaoticAlex320

Pro

ChaoticAlex320 forfeited this round.
shake0615

Con

shake0615 forfeited this round.
ChaoticAlex320

Pro

ChaoticAlex320 forfeited this round.
shake0615

Con

shake0615 forfeited this round.
Posted by bellathedemocrat 1 year ago
bellathedemocrat
I would love to debate with you but I agree with you schools kill creativity