MLI1997
surpy

Are School Lunches Healthy?

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

MLI1997

Con

These days our school lunches have been very disappointing. I don't know if you know but some school use pink slime as hamburger meat. They rinse it with Ammonia and pass it off as real meat. Pink slime is now in 70% of the ground beef in the US. I guess now I know why the hamburger's so gross. Then they give us these microwave pancakes that are soggy. One of my friend's mom works at a mental hospital and she said that they eat the same food as us. One slice of pizza from school has probably 350 calories and it doesn't even have any veggies on it. Then there's the chocolate milk that everyone gets which has between 30 or 50 grams of sugar. No wonder they call us the obesity country, it's even affected our schools. Someone should get Jamie Oliver to come to my school.
surpy

Pro

I accept this debate, this will be fun!

I will post my case first, and then attack my opponent's in my case.

=Opening Remarks=
I take it that Pro has to say that school lunches are healthy, and the Con has to say that school lunches are not healthy.
I also take it that we are doing it on the situations of our schools.

=My Case=
-1. All school districts are different-
-2. The state at my High School-
-3. School lunches must be healthy-

=My first point=
First of all, all schools are different. Talking about high school credit requirements to graduate, they are not all the same, if a student moves from one state to another then this student must do different things to get it on track. The school lunch program is also different in different states, like the schedule on what to serve in the cafeteria is different from other school's. It is hard to decide on what school doesn't serve healthy and what doesn't, but I know that mine does. For example on how they are different, my school doesn't get pancakes but instead we get waffles, and the students get to see their waffle get placed in the waffle maker and then brought to the student as the student waits. Another example on how its different is that your pizza doesn't get any veggies but my pizza program of my school lunch program, the pizza specialty changes and there is a veggie one that comes once a week.

=My second point=
Now, at my school, I am a lunch server, so I know what goes behind the kitchen. I know that the food is healthy because I have seen it with my own eyes. The food at my school is healthy, There is no pink slimes that is accused as meat, just all 100% ground beef, sure it is frozen for storage but it is healthy. There is also a sandwich bar where you can get a sandwich prepared in front of you, just like subway. My school offers a lot of healthy options for everybody, and most of it is prepared right before you.

=My third point=
The reason why this debate is challenging is because there are different lunch programs so it is hard to base on one lunch program. Like with my lunch program, most of the food is prepared in front of you. Also it has to go by certain laws so the students eat healthy.
MLI1997

Con

"The food at my school is healthy."

I'm sorry but my opponent assumes that just because his school lunch is healthy, everyone else's school lunch is healthy. The opponent assumes that what he's eating is 100% frozen beef but as a matter of fact, he doesn't know. The reason why is because he does not go to the butcher house to see how the ground beef is processed. Even if he asked the "lunch lady" if there's pink slime in his food, she'll probably just lie and say no. Why in the world would she say,"Yes, you're eating unwanted beef fat that's chemically processed." Then the school might have to spend more money on real beef. So why would they want to spend more money if they could spend only half the price for twice the ground beef with pink slime? So either way you're never going to know unless you see it with you're own eyes.

"There is also a sandwich bar where you can get a sandwich prepared in front of you, just like subway."

Now I bet the school you go to is some rich people's school because who make's the food right in front of your eyes unless you're at the buffet? Most schools don't have the time and money to prepare food at the last second for over 300 kids.The schools I want to focus on are the less fortunate schools around the nation. In those schools, fries are sometimes considered a vegetable. An average school lunch contains 80% sugar. The most ever recorded was 98%.Usually it's overweight children that have that much sugar in their lunch. An article on Insite talks about this. Schools recieve $2.68 for every free meal given from the National School Lunch Program. That cost includes the milk, labor, facility and structural costs. Do you understand how hard it is to have a nonprocessed lunch for less than a dollar?

"Now, at my school, I am a lunch server, so I know what goes behind the kitchen."

Correction...you are a LUNCH SERVER.My opponent can't possiably have any knowlage about what goes on around the kitchen if he only serves the lunch. Does he know how many tablespoons of salt goes on every batch of fries? Or maybe he knows how many cups of salad gets served each day. If you're mom is the lunch lady, then perhaps you have the advantage. Otherwise, you are clueless.

Conclusion:The USDA announced that pinkslime is healthy if it's fully processed. If kids had a choice between fries and salad, they'd probably choose the fries. The most obese schools are in West Virginia, Tennesse, Mississippi and Alabama.According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture 9 out of 10 U.S. schools offer the a la carte programs, (foods sold outside the lunch program) which do not have to meet the U.S. government's nutritional recommendations. Studies have shown that a child who is obese between the ages of 10 and 13 has an 80 percent chance of becoming an obese adult.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com...

http://www.scribd.com...

http://www.disabled-world.com...
surpy

Pro

Alright lets get this dance started.

Because my opponent did not state any definitions I will give the definitions.
Healthy: "conducive to good health"[1]
Health: "the state of being bodily and mentally vigorous and free from disease"[1]

So my opponent must state that school lunches are free from disease.

I am firm Pro, that School Lunches are free from disease (or healthy)

School lunches or any other food served to any one must be free from diseases, which they have to or else they can't serve it.

To my opponent's attack on "The food at my sch..." I respond with.
I described with my definitions, that they do not contain disease or they could serve it. Also "What are the general requirements?—(1) General nutrition requirements. Schools must provide nutritious and well-balanced meals to all the children they serve."[2] So all lunches must be well-balanced to all the children they serve. But pink slime or not, there is more things then just the hamburgers, but if you don't have anything else but hamburgers, then it is healthy (which contains no disease).

"Now I bet the school you go to is some rich people's school..."

Now that is really funny, but the school I go to lives in what some might say the "ghetto" according to slang term. My school is looked down upon because it is not rich, or get's any special things. My school was built in the early in the 1900's. My school isn't considered rich, but poor.

"don't have the time and money to prepare food at the last sec..."

Now let me go into further explanation about my school lunch program, there is a sandwich bar where you have the choice of which bread, which meat, which cheese, which vegetables, and which condiments you want on it. The hot lunch section, where you can get a slice of pizza where pepperoni and cheese are every day and there is the special pizza that comes once a week, the specialty where it varies on what comes there, and then chicken nuggets. Then there is the burger section where you get to pick what burger you want, there is chicken, cheeseburgers, or a specialty burger. Lastly there is a salsa bar where you can have some kind of Mexican food like burritos or nachos and you can have a lot of variety on the salsa bar and the sandwich bar, and I lunch serve in the salsa bar so I know it is nice and healthy. Students have to pay for their lunch, unless they are on fee-waiver so they get free things because their family has a low income, and that money goes towards buying more food. My student population currently is around 1000 I believe.

"...you are clueless"

I have witnessed food getting prepared and then served to the student population. You don't have to know every single detail that goes into the food, I have stated that I know what goes on behind the kitchen so I have seen the food getting prepared, you have to step into the kitchen to get ready to serve anyways.

I will bring something new to the table. Because my opponent did not state any definitions of 'Healthy' you must go by my definition of 'Healthy', so my opponent must state that school lunches contain disease. My opponent has not stated that they do contain disease. Also with my opponents statement that school have obese children, the reason why these children are obese is because they don't exercise.

My case may sound like, my school this, and my school that, but I am getting to a point that school lunches are healthy, because they don't contain disease. Going back to my first attack, that schools must provide nutrients and well-balanced meals to their students. So it shows that school lunches are healthy.

Vote Pro!

[1] = dictionary.com (just search up the words)
[2] = http://www.gpo.gov...
MLI1997

Con

"My case may sound like, my school this, and my school that, but I am getting to a point that school lunches are healthy, because they don't contain disease."

This is the most important sentence in my argument.

Just because one thing doesn't contain disease, doesn't mean it's really healthy. Are chips healthy? What about bacon? They both contain lots of fat. But are there harmful diseases in them that could make a person really sick? No, didn't think so. The reason why pink slime is free from disease is because they washed it in Ammonia! Yeah, the meat that's sold in the cheapest form and is fed to farm animals can now be available to five-year-olds! So you really think people would feed the children stuff that could possibly kill them? Nope, it'll only be UNHEALTHY which means it's not good for you but you can still eat it while not dying. Your definition describes health...NOT HEALTHY!

Ammonia:a colorless, pungent, suffocating, highly water-soluble,gaseous compound, NH 3 , usually produced by the direct combination of nitrogen and hydrogen gases: used
chiefly for refrigeration and in the manufacture of commercial chemicals and laboratory reagents.

Yummy, Ammonia. Doesn't that just sound absolutely delicious? It's chemically processed stuff. That can't be 100% healthy can it? It would just be better if schools stopped wasting their money on fundraisers with "special prizes", and bought better ingredients.

"But pink slime or not, there is more things then just the hamburgers, but if you don't have anything else but hamburgers, then it is healthy (which contains no disease).

Quick question, did you happen to read anything I wrote? I did mention the Ala cart programs and the percentage of sugar in a average school meal. Well in case you forgot, the Ala cart is just a little place where the school sells little snacks like ice cream, cookies, chips and many more. The U.S. Department of Agriculture confirmed that 9 out of 10 schools serve snacks that don't meet the nutritional requirements.

You're school has 1000 students. That's great! Well maybe not that much for the lunch ladies. When you look at what you have said, what percentage of schools do you think have a burger, sandwich and salsa bar?

Once again I shall remind you that your are a LUNCH SERVER! You don't know what goes on at processing plants or the farm. But for the schools that have a Ala cart program, kids can buy all the junk food they want and still get away with it.

We all know that kids have choices. But putting all that good stuff in front of their eyes is just making it easier for them to give in to temptation.

Conclusion: Yes obese children don't exercise as much. But that doesn't mean it's 100% their fault. Stop giving them bad food to eat and then maybe all the salt and sugar won't slow them down.

Before you vote for anyone, please watch this video and hopefully you'll change your mind.
surpy

Pro

"Your definition describes health...NOT HEALTHY!"

Because my opponent has not offered another definitions of healthy, from a reliable source, so my definition still stands. To help clarify to my opponent of the reason why I used the definition of 'health' is because the definition of healthy is conducive to good 'health', so it uses the word 'health', which is why I use the word 'health'. It is just like saying, if A = B and B = C then A = C. Trying to take the word 'health' out of the equation leaves healthy with out a base on he purpose of its definition. The reason why I use the word 'health' to attack because 'healthy' basically means 'health'. To put it all together for you, healthy: conductive to good state of being bodily and mentally vigorous and free from disease. To continue on, you are only using half of the definition of healthy, but you have not stated that school lunches contain disease.

"Yummy, Ammonia..."

In that video you posted, it stated that the ammonia is used to clean the meat so it won't have E-coli, thus proving that it doesn't contain disease. Something that sounds gross, doesn't mean that it isn't healthy, around the world there is strange different kinds of food, but it doesn't mean that it isn't healthy. The "pink slime" that you mentioned, it is just getting cleaned with the ammonia, so it is safe for the student body to eat.

"Ala cart programs..."

My opponent stated that the Ala cart program is outside of the lunch program, so it is irrelevant to this debate.

"what percentage of schools..."

The point I was getting at is that there are other options then just hamburgers.

"your are a LUNCH SERVER!"

The point I am getting at is that I know what goes on "behind the kitchen" so I see the food served to the people, and most of my school food is put together in front of the students eyes. The Ala cart program is irrelevant to this debate because it is outside the school lunch program, and this debate is on the school lunch program.

"Stop giving them bad food..."

Anyone can get bad food from anywhere, the store, from friends, or from the Ala cart program, which is irrelevant to this debate, but like I said before "What are the general requirements?—(1) General nutrition requirements. Schools must provide nutritious and well-balanced meals to all the children they serve." so school lunches must provide nutritious and well-balanced meals to all the children they serve.

To your video,
GROSS DOESN'T MEAN UNHEALTHY. Sure it looks gross, but it doesn't mean that it is unhealthy, sure it uses ammonia, the reason why it does is because so there won't be any disease, which supports my side of the debate.

In conclusion and summary.

My opponent is only talking about half of the definition of 'healthy', but I have and will state again, that school lunches must provide nutritious and well-balanced meals so it has to be bodily and mentally vigorous, and it must be free from disease because it is being served to humans.

Vote PRO!
MLI1997

Con

I think you are getting health and healthy mixed up AGAIN!!!

Okay you want healthy, I'll give you healthy.

If your health is good then you're healthy. Just because the word "health" is in the word healthy, doesn't mean it's the same thing.

1.possessing or enjoying good health or a sound and vigorous mentality: a healthy body; a healthy mind.

2.

pertaining to or characteristic of good health, or a sound and vigorous mind: a healthy appearance; healthy attitudes.

3.

conducive to good health; healthful: healthy recreations.

EXPAND

4.

prosperous or sound: a healthy business.

5.

Informal . fairly large: I bought a healthy number of books.

Source

http://dictionary.reference.com...;

Pink slime is almost the worst meat there is! I mean this stuff is used to feed dogs and pigs. So why should they feed it to humans? This stuff is fatty slaughterhouse trimmings. Does it sound good to you? Plus sometimes they use meat glue.

;

Ammonia is used to clean carpets and is mixed into fertilizers and potting mix. What would you do if you caught your precious little five-year-old drinking a gallon of this stuff. Would you be pissed? Or would you say, "Oh don't worry honey, that stuff is safe for the student body!"

Ammonia is gross and there isn't single speck of evidence of it being healthy and good to consume. Small amounts over time can make you possibly sick, give you stomach aches and fevers. But of course it won't kill you. Overall it's just too hard to explain it to you and isn't it just common sense to understand that chemicals aren't a favorite of the public. That's why so many foods have no preservitives. But if you haven't gotten it by now, then go on this website. If you still haven't gotten it after going on the website...then you're just not getting it!
http://en.wikipedia.org...;

It is true that Ala Cart is outside of the school program, but it is open during lunch so I believe it has something to do with the subject. Plus the title isn't "Are School Lunch Programs Healthy"

I believed I mentioned frozen beef, not only hamburger meat. Frozen beef can be used in tacos, meatballs, meat loaf, pizza, and many more. They wouldn't even have to use Ammonia if they spent money on stuff that aren't scraps. Trust me, if you ever smelled pink slime before it was processed, you'd probably barf.

Excuse me, but I believe you are a lunch server for like the 100th time. In the future...if you ever decide to pursue a career as a butcher then you give me a call.

Plus when was this debate ever on the school lunch PROGRAM? It is about what goes into a lunch, what goes with a lunch, and how much chemicals are put in. If kids are drinking a kool aid with their lunch, then I think it's part of their lunch.

I agree it is true that kids can get bad food in many places. But if a kid's parents sets off a bad example and the school sets a good example, then maybe it'll help the kid and their parents. Change needs to start somewhere to show the younger generation that there are more choices than what they are getting, and a school lunch can be the nucleus for something big. Would you be 100% proud of what the government has done to our children's meals?

So think about it, what would you do if you found out that your food wasn't supposadly used for humans.

"School lunches must provide nutritious and well-balanced meals so it has to be bodily and mentally vigorous, and it must be free from disease because it is being served to humans."

School lunches do not do that. Just look at the economy. I really don't know if my opponent is confused or not but I will say for the final time that disease is not the main problem in a nonhealthy meal. Because we know we won't die eating a school lunch, we should focus on the more important things instead of the unlikely. We should focus on how much fat content, sodium, suger and calories go into each meal. What would you do if you found out the truth about your food?

surpy

Pro

I will first attack my opponent and then defend my points.

I would like to point out, that you have not offered another definition in the past round so you must accept it in this debate, so the new definition will not work in this debate. If you choose to say, "no I don't have to" then I would like to point out that your source states "soundness of body or mind; freedom from disease or ailment", you were also not clear on which so it wasn't a clear new definition attack.

Your video didn't have to do anything with school lunches, just meat in general, nor did you tie it into school lunches, so your video has no point.

Yes eating Ammonia is bad for you, but your first video the guy said it was used to help clean the meat so it won't have E-coli, the Ammonia isn't in the food, just to clean it, and then washed out, so it is safe to eat.

Now to defend my points.

The school lunch program is in charge of the school lunches, and the Ala cart is outside of the school lunch program, so it is outside of school lunch. A student could get fast food and eat it for lunch, it is still lunch but it is outside of the school lunch program. the Ala cart is like getting fast food but right there, they are both outside of the school lunch program, which the school lunch is being controlled by the school lunch program. A student could also bring a healthy lunch from home and that won't be under the school lunch program. So if you say that the Ala cart is part of school lunch, well a healthy home lunch would be a school lunch.

I would like to re-point out that something disgusting doesn't mean that it isn't healthy.

It feels like we are beating a dead horse with this lunch server point.

Thank you for supporting my point that someone could bring a healthy lunch from home and eat it for lunch. There is also chemicals in some fruits and vegetables to help them clean, but are they unhealthy?

There are the students who bring healthy lunches from home. School lunches in the school lunch program offer up healthy food choices.

I would eat it, because if it was school lunch then I know it would be healthy.

My opponent seems to ignore the fact that it said that school lunches served by the school lunch program must provide "nutritious and well-balanced meals" that shows that it bodily and mentally vigorous, or good for the body. If my opponent decides to ignore the definition that I posted in round two and did not offer another until round four, then my opponent accepted my definitions, my opponents source even offered basically the same definitions and because my opponent wasn't specific on what of those definitions then my opponents definition was uncertain.

=Conclusion=
Because my opponent said that we are not debating the school lunch PROGRAM, and using the Ala cart which could be fast food or bringing healthy food from home to school, this debate has become uncertain. But you must vote for Pro because, the school lunch program must serve healthy food, and the Ala cart, which is like bringing food from home, is inclusive because a student could get healthy or unhealthy foods. So the school lunch program must stand, which is the food that the school offers to the student body, is by law must serve a well-balanced and nutritious meal to the students.

Vote Pro!
MLI1997

Con

MLI1997 forfeited this round.
surpy

Pro

surpy forfeited this round.
Posted by wizkid345 3 years ago
wizkid345
your right the meat today is not what it was, but who's fault is that. Its not your cafatiera's fault, also if 70 percent of america ground beef is this pink slime then the odd's are that when you sit down to a burger that meal that you ,your parents or some restaraunt made is bad food. Also a slice of pizza with 350 calories doesnt seam so bad but thats just me.
Vote Placed by Zaradi 2 years ago
Zaradi
MLI1997surpyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's definiton is what I end up voting off of. The definition provided, and going unrefuted in the immediate next round, means that con must defend that the school cafeteria has disease in it. Since he failed to do that, I give the round to pro, who proved under the definition of heathly that the school lunches were heathly.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
MLI1997surpyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Based of if reliable sources pro wins. (.gov)