Tortez
greenemrald

Are Schools Putting Too Much Pressure On Students?

Tortez

Pro

*WARNING, THIS DEBATE ONLY IS VALID TO MIDDLE SCHOOL AND ABOVE*

Yes I support this debate. Primarily due to the fact that school days have so little time and there is so much that can be done, as a solution to this issue, teachers across almost all schools in the United States of America(or other countries) choose to cram the rest into homework assignments or useless projects.

For example, when I arrived in Sixth Grade(my first year in Middle School), I was doing homework left to right. Even being in the Honors classes, the regulars were getting most days around fifty problems for Math, be reminded that is only regular, think about the Honors too. Don't get me started on that.

Not only is my example for Math class, but it goes to all classes. As well to be honest, most things we do is useless and wouldn't be used in real life, so the amount of useless work adding to the pressure on students is tremendous.

Another example? The grading system, I hate it. In fact I despise it, it broke the very preamble that validates education in a nut-shell. Students are required to meet a strict requirement in school, and if it isn't met. They either are non-permitted to enter the next grade, forced to drop out, or be humiliated and put into a "special" class.

This pressure topples onto students as if school is their only priority. Social life is a thing, sleep is too, but that's another topic for another day.

I'm aware I've typed very little in my first debate, this was due to the fact that I wanted to see what other people thought. Enjoy.
greenemrald

Con

I get your side of the argument ... but whenever you look at something you look at it from both the sides.. so yeah children get a lot of homework, but this is the kind of learning system that is required. The main purpose of education is to prepare the children for the outside world, and with our rapidly growing society we need to prepare the kids in that way. so, when you argue about the fact that it is the school's fault for pressurizing the kids it looks a bit extreme. Even parents for that matter want their kids to be good at sports, music, studies everything.. so the fact is that these days children already have a lot on their plate and the fact that the world is becoming highly competitive, without this kind of a intensive course the children will never learn or cope up with the worldwide demand.
logically, what also follows is that to gain something you have to loose out on something too, but this does not mean that the kids need to cut themselves off from the world altogether.. they can manage their time in a way that there is a little bit time for everything. Obviously, we shouldn't forget the fact that when you have too much on your plate you tend to over-work, so the solution for that is to know your limits. The main reasoning behind this kind of a school environment is to give the students an opportunity, they are certainly not forcing the students to take part in everything. Therefore, the main focus is still on academics.
To support this i'll tell you something I myself have the same stress level, maybe even more and it is not easy juggling between all these aspects of life, but one really needs to be hardworking. I do the same and i manage to balance my life just fine(not because i'm Asian) you cannot expect it all to be a walk in the park, because Middle School and High School are the foundation of your life, therefore it's meant to be tough.......... but with the right kind of schedule anyone can pull it off.
Tortez

Pro

Tortez forfeited this round.
greenemrald

Con

um.... what do i say now???

my opponent forfeits.............. so.. yayy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????
Tortez

Pro

Tortez forfeited this round.
greenemrald

Con

greenemrald forfeited this round.