Are Social Medias taking over humans.

Are social medias like Facebook and etc. taking over the lives of humans?

I believe that Social Medias are NOT taking over humans.

A few starting definitions and rule clarifications to avoid debating semantics.

If my opponent does NOT approve of any of the following definitions, rules and terms he must object to them via PM or comment BEFORE posting his next round. By posting his next round without objecting to any terms set forth here and reaching an agreement with me beforehand in the Comments OR a personal message he accepts the following definitions and conditions.

Neither me nor my opponent may change or object to the definitions once they have been agreed to.

Social Media:
1. forms of electronic communication (as Web sites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (as videos)

Used interchangeably with the term Social Network:

in context of human social communications:
1. a network of friends, colleagues, and other personal contacts: Strong social networks can encouragehealthy behaviors.
in context with computers Computers.
an online community of people with a common interest who use a website or other technologiesto communicate with each other and share information, resources, etc.: a business-oriented socialnetwork.
3. a website or online service that facilitates this communication.

Taking over:
1. Gaining control of sth via force.
2. causing an obsession within someone.
3. to assume control or possession of or responsibility for sth. become dominant.

1. A member of the genus Homo and especially of the species H. sapiens. The human race.
in this context a majority of the human race.

Few debating rules:
1. No plagiarism
2. No forfeits
3. All sources must be properly cited
4. Maintain proper language and social etiquette.
6. standard DDO rules and debating formats apply.
7. all disagreement over the format, rules or definitions of the debate placed forth in this round should be discussed in either the comment section or in a private PM before advancing the debate.

Following debate format is to be held:
Acceptance and definition
Opening arguments
Rebuttals and closing statement. No new arguments by Con.

Failure to abide to these rules will result in a 7-point loss.

Have fun, and good luck.

awesomepancakes forfeited this round.

Well, my opponent has technically agreed to and broken the rules already.... by forfeiting.

Normally that should result in a 7 point loss, but let's place that aside for a while. I'll just throw my arguments on the table without a banner or ornaments if you don't mind.

Social medias are not taking over humans, the idea may not be so absurd when looking at your nearest environment, but your nearest environment isn't the entire human race. We can say that in order for something to "take over the species" it must affect at least a majority of it, half would be at the lower end. But how many are using for instance facebook?

The internet can answer that [1]:
1,310,000,000, 1.3 billion users that are active.
Estimating that there are around 7 billion humans alive in the world facebook is only affecting around 18% of the human population. 18% may be a large number, but it isn't a majority. It's under a fifth. A fifth isn't the majority. To be completely fair a large majority of the world cannot even access facebook. Developing countries with limited or no internet: countries that do not rely on internet and countries that censor the internet to the point that facebook is just a distant dream are all factors in the equation on why it is not taking over humans.

Another problem with the statement is that it indicates that each and every one of the 18% cannot live without facebook or are being controlled by it: have been "taken over" by it. That may at best be applied to teenagers using s.medias. Taking for instance my parents who only use it every so often and would not notice if it would vanish. They have not been taken over by facebook by a long shot. My friend who only uses facebook to communicate with his girlfriend: he could well be without it. Myself who uses facebook almost exclusively for the messenger and to keep track of old friends. I'd at best be affected by it's disappearance by the fact that I'd suddenly be forced to purchase credit from my local phone company in order to communicate with my friends via texting or calling.

The "problem" with facebook is that it is disposable for a lot of people, but yet we use it. Why? Because it is handy. The western world uses facebook because of it's power to be able to help us maintain a strong connection to our friends that may or may not live far away from us. We use it because it makes sharing files and group projects a bit less of a hassle. We use it to share our lives and make better social bonds. It helps us in our lives planning events, staying part of groups, sharing news or important information between each other. Being a social species we need a lot of social interaction, and facebook is just harvesting our needs to do so: it is assisting us to be interactive, accessible and makes our lives easier. But saying that it is taking us over is as far fetched as saying that television, computers or cell phones are taking us over. We use them and they maker our lives much much easier to live: but they aren't taking us over. We could well live without them and quite the number of humans do live without them. But removing them would create a wast new world that we might not like as much as this one, because this one is easy to live in and fits our species well. And social medias are just another piece in the comfort puzzle

awesomepancakes forfeited this round.
Posted by SONOFGOD2013 2 years ago
To keep me thinking right so I won't get influenced with social medias
Posted by SONOFGOD2013 2 years ago
Nya some people. But it's mostly influencing people. That's why I have god
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago