Are Steroids Morally Wrong?

I am here to argue that the taking/selling/making of steroids is, illegal, but not morally wrong.

Standard debate rules

I accept. I don't believe in morals, however, for arguments sake, I'll be taking the stance that steroids are morally wrong in certain contexts but not others.

I belive that the reason people would think that steroids are wrong is because they are illegal. Usually if people are told they are wrong they belive it. But I don't think they are completely morally wrong, in some cases for example, using steroids that against the rules of a sport to get an edge, is morally wrong to me. But just using steroids to build muscle is not morally wrong, although illegal.

An example of this is prohabition, there were many who thought of alchohol as morally wrong at the time, but now that number has gone down severly. When the government makes things illegal, it becomes immoral to many people (of course not all laws).

Another example is a 3rd world country, in some 3rd world countries there is no limit on smoking, so there are children who smoke, and the people of that country find no moral problem with this. (I do realize smoking in children is more severe than steroids, but it was an example)

I think if someone is saying that it is wrong, people will follow it.

Thanks for your argument. Sorry it's taken a while to respond.

In round one your position was ‘steroids are illegal but not morally wrong’. However, in round 2, without any opposition from me, you conceded that steroids are immoral when used for an advantage in a sporting context. You have deviated from your original assertion. In addition, you have installed a further caveat: steroids are not amoral when taken to build muscle [only].

I, being Con, must argue that steroids are immoral.

A couple of things first though….

I do not believe objects (or substances) can be amoral. I do believe objects and substances can help facilitate amoral actions though. I believe actions only become moral (or not) when ascribed a reference. References are subjective and can be applied internally or externally. Each of us has their own moral compass which independent of law. Our actions are mediated by law; sometimes through fear of consequence, sometimes because our moral compass is in synchrony with the Law’s own. However, our morals are dynamic; they change with time and experience, as do the Law’s.

My arguments...

1) However unfair as it may seem, we have a moral obligation to uphold the laws of society, so that it functions best - so that it may serve ourselves, our families, and our loved ones well. We shouldn’t be able to choose which laws to ignore and which to apply. If that were case, society would soon descend into chaos, and the security of our children would be jeopardised. Thus, we have a moral obligation to uphold the law, irrespective of how trivial it may seem.

2) Some religious folk look to spiritual texts for their moral code. Certain passages of Bible may be interpreted in such a way that a Christian may believe it is his, or her, duty to take care of his, or her, body (Corinthians 6:19-20: or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. Romans 12:1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship). Taking steroids does not constitute taking care of your body, here are some of the common health risks: infertility, breast development, shrinking of the testicles, male-pattern baldness (men and women), enlargement of the clitoris, excessive growth of body hair, male-pattern baldness,short stature (if taken by adolescents), tendon rupture, increases in LDL, decreases in HDL, high blood pressure, heart attacks, enlargement of the heart's left ventricle, liver cancer peliosis hepatis, tumors, severe acne and cysts, oily scalp, jaundice, fluid retention(a).

2b) (following on from the religious moral theme).You said “just using steroids to build muscle is not morally wrong”. One can only infer that building muscle without the desire to achieve a sporting advantage (or for medical reasons) would be as part of ‘bodily vanity project’. This would be considered amoral in accordance with the Bible, after all, I think it’s fair to assume that, to some extent, envy and pride would be motivating factor for building of muscle for muscles sake- and these are two of the seven deadly sins! Further, here are two passages concerning vanity; Samuel 16:7 “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart”, Psalm 119:37 Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your way).

3) Countries such as the UK have a National Health Service (a free health care system provided by the tax payer). It could be considered immoral when a person who willing takes dangerous, illegal, substances ends up in hospital, to the detriment of the economy, at the cost of the tax payer.

4) The reality is steroids are illegal, therefore they are illicitly smuggled from Mexico and Europe into America (b). Organised Crime syndicates are never far from Drug Trade. It is amoral to knowlingly fund, directly or otherwise, any criminal organisation.

5) As you alluded to cheating in sport is amoral, however, I want to extend this argument further. Contact sports are dangerous, and steroids have the potential to make you faster, fitter, stronger and more powerful. In boxing the ultimate goal is to render your opponent unconscious. I believe taking a substance that theoretically increases the chances of seriously injuring, or, worse still, killing, your opponent is amoral.

I would like to thank you for the interesting debate,

I chose to forfeit

Thank you also.
Posted by STAGIESTCOSINE 2 years ago
I should have proof read my debate; unfortunately I don't often have time. There are a few grammatical errors and missing words. Apologies.
Posted by BoardPlank 2 years ago
This would be for recreational use to build muscle, not steroids for medical needs.
Posted by sodoff 2 years ago
So is this strictly about sport and fitness or does it extend to medical as well? I needed small doses of Steroid treatment to combat Bells Palsy. What's the grounds of argument?
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Honorable concession by the con