Are Video Games Bad?

Started: 2/1/2012 Category: Technology

For this topic of debate I will be taking the Con/ Against side. I believe that video games are bad and in this debate I will be trying to persuade you to think this too and to see my way of thinking.

The Rules

1st round: Opening statements
2nd-4th : Arguments
5th: Closing statements NO NEW ARGUMENTS!!
Good luck...

I accept your challenge. However, "video games are bad" is a very broad statement. Do you mean overall or is there a particular issue you take with them?

Also, you say that you believe video games are bad, but you are taking the Con side with the resolution "Are video games bad," which seems to indicate you think they are not bad. I'm going by your first round statement that you are actually arguing Pro, that video games are bad, in which case I would actually be arguing Con that they are good.

I believe that video games have a lot of good that they do. Yes, they can become addictive but just like with anything good, too much of it can be a bad thing. They must be treated with respect, just like any other hobbies we can have.

I look forward to my opponent's arguments.

I would like to start this off with an apology. I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear enough and I do mean video games in general. I am also sorry about the mistake I made about being on the pro / con side. Just for the record I do mean I am against video games. And now for my argument.

Video games are bad because most are quite violent. I am an owner of a Wii Motion + (Which came with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort) since I was 10 as my mum gave it to me a year ago. I noticed that on the side of the box it had 3+ and the sign for violent content. If it is violent, why are children from the ages of 3 are being exposed to it?
Other video games like GTA (Grand Theft Auto) are extremely violent where you can get extra points for running people over and beating them up. A lot of people who were in my year 4-6 class played a similar game called Call Of Duty and some were even thinking of doing those things and were saying that the army was so cool "because you can blow loads of people up and shoot them with rifles". Is this really what the next generation to be like? When you are younger, it is crucial you are taught right from wrong because at that age you can be easily influenced. So its better that you show them what's right so they wont end up doing what's wrong. Some children might even start thinking that game is cool so if I copy it I'll be cool too.

Again, I thank Con for issuing this challenge and for the clarifications.

Con says that most video games are quite violent, but I don't know if anyone can make this claim unless they have a knowledge of all video games. There are certainly some violent video games (e.g. Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty), but those aren't the only kinds of video games. There are puzzle games, and board games made into video games, etc. But the violent games come with a Mature rating for a reason, they are not meant for children. They are meant for mature gamers who can handle the content. If a child gets a hold of the video game, the person who sold the video game and the parent who doesn't monitor what their child plays is at fault, not the game itself.

Regarding Con's question of a "violent" game being 3+, there's a difference between cartoonish violence and realistic violence. Realistically violent games like Call of Duty or Half-Life will come with a Mature rating because they realistically depict violent acts. However, games like Wii Sports, Mega Man, etc, don't come with a mature rating because either it's not humans being hurt, or the violence is cartoonish. If you would be comfortable allowing your kids to watch an episode of Looney Tunes, then they would be okay playing a cartoonishly violent game.

It is true that kids sometimes like to emulate what they see on television or in video games, but these kids are in the minority. Most of these stunts get these kids hurt and hopefully, they won't do it again. But the game is not at fault, it's the parents' job to monitor what their kids take in (television, movies, video games, etc.) and talk to them about what they're seeing.

Video games can also become addictive. But just like with anything good that can become addictive (e.g. food, sex, love, etc.), too much of it can be bad. You must treat it with respect and take breaks every so often, remembering that you do require food, water, and sleep to live.

In actuality, video games have many good aspects. For example, according to a study out of New York, playing video games can actually boost your visual skills, such as becoming more attuned to your surroundings while driving the street. [1] Also, there is an obese kid who lost half his body weight by playing drums in the video game Rock Band, on top of adopting a healthier diet and exercising. [2] In fact, he was burning up to 1,000 calories a day playing Rock Band, alone. [3]

Playing video games has many advantages. Plus, on top of the advantages it's a hobby, just like any other. Any hobby can be abused, you just need to be smart about it.

whatevar862 forfeited this round.

Con has forfeited her previous round so I push all of my arguments into the next round. I would hope that if Con does not wish to continue the debate, she would come in and concede the remaining rounds so as not to take so long.

Sorry about forfeiting that round I do want to carry on with the debate.

Scientists say you should spend 5hrs a week outdoors exercising. Now parents and children believe that wii sports counts as excersizing. If this goes on children may develop skin and sight problems. If they eat without exercising they may even become and develop diabetes.

I have already shown that playing video games can be used as exercise. Con even brought up Wii Sports as something people use as exercising (to say nothing of games geared toward exercise, such as Wii Fit). But even if you spend five hours a day outside exercising, that still leaves 19 hours in your day. Less eight hours for sleep, you are still left with 11 hours in which to go to school or work, and play video games. This is still plenty of time.

I have also shown that video games can increase your visual skills. Video games do have benefits as well as risks, but to avoid risks you just have to be smart about it. Other hobbies have risks like mountain climbing, scuba diving, and sky diving, yet no one would say that people shouldn't be allowed to engage in these activities because there are ways to do them safely.

All Con has shown is that you need to be smart about using video games, just like with any other hobby.

I look forward to our final round.

whatevar862 forfeited this round.

Well, Con has forfeited her final round. Please vote Pro.
Vote Placed by Hardcore.Pwnography 4 years ago