Minizor
pirateman106

Are Video Games a Sport?

Minizor

Minizor

Pro

Many people say that video games are not a sport for various reasons. However as one might say video games are simply killing others, I could say football is running from one side of a field to another. Both are simplistic and overall each person on each side have no knowledge on each topic. On the football side there are rules, maneuvers, constant training and effort gone into it. The same goes for a popular game series going by the name of Call of Duty. Call of Duty just like in real war requires much tactics, aim practice, and constant training and effort. The only reason people think otherwise is because this is a game. The game and the fact it requires little physical strength means nothing, which is what others don't understand. Imagine how much more hand eye coordination, reflexes, spotting eye, etc. that you don't have. All this debate is is asking what will win in a fight over physical strength and mental strength. Mental strength requires extreme limitations to posses. When I play a fighting game I am watching everything. I watch a timer, health bar, enemies health bar, a meter, and my team mates while at all the same time watching an enemy attack and using my reflex to input combos using a stick and 6 buttons without even looking at my hands. With football it is look forward, run, and throw. Even if there is more video games also take more concentration and strategical thinking. With games like Dota (or a multiplayer online battle arena) you need to time precise attacks on creeps to gain money to buy items to give you and your team the edge as well as use team work, such as your teammate hits a stun where you shoot the finishing blow. So much time and effort put into gamers time yet they are viewed by many as a disgrace, lazy, etc. I can't wait to hear what one of you will put so i can prove it wrong.
pirateman106

Con

Video games are very good for reflexes in real life i agree with you on that. But physical sports on the other hand are much better for you in the long run than sitting in a chair playing video games. they keep you in shape and keep you healthy. not saying that all gamers stay inside all day but in the long run this is true. also if you are good at a sport you can actually become a professional athlete and make money on sports video games wont provide this for you it is just simply something to do on your down time during the day nothing more.
Minizor

Pro

Minizor forfeited this round.
pirateman106

Con

pirateman106 forfeited this round.
Minizor

Pro

Minizor forfeited this round.
pirateman106

Con

pirateman106 forfeited this round.
Minizor

Pro

Minizor forfeited this round.
pirateman106

Con

pirateman106 forfeited this round.
Minizor

Pro

Minizor forfeited this round.
pirateman106

Con

pirateman106 forfeited this round.
Posted by Kiroen 4 years ago
Kiroen
At the end this debate leads to the very definition of sport. There's nothing else: you consider enough the characteristics both pro videogames and physical sports have in common to call something a sport, or you don't.

"AND (last comment) I think video games fall under the category of e-sports, don't they?"

Just some videogames. No one will make a competitive scene out from the last spin-off of Hello Kitty.
Posted by Kiroen 4 years ago
Kiroen
"An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others."

But dude, when you play CoD you have to... Wait for it - push the keys!
Chess is considered a sport by the way.
Posted by MrJosh 4 years ago
MrJosh
I would love to take this debate, but it is so ill formed and vague, that I'm not even sure what I'd be arguing. You wrote: "All this debate is is asking what will win in a fight over physical strength and mental strength." Is this your resolution, or is your title, "Are Video Games a Sport?" your resolution?
Posted by Shadowguynick 4 years ago
Shadowguynick
AND (last comment) I think video games fall under the category of e-sports, don't they?
Posted by Shadowguynick 4 years ago
Shadowguynick
BUT when I looked it up, the first definition I saw was this:
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.
Note "physical exertion" :P
Posted by Shadowguynick 4 years ago
Shadowguynick
Ha, call of duty requires training? pfft. I agree though, overall.
Posted by JolteonOfDoom8 4 years ago
JolteonOfDoom8
thank you for existing Pro
Vote Placed by sweetbreeze 4 years ago
sweetbreeze
Minizorpirateman106Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Convincing arguments to Pro, because Con did an "Are Sports better than Video Games" argument instead of the resolution provided.