Faust52
thatnerdykid

Are Violent Video Games Bad?

thatnerdykid

Faust52

Con

No. I do not believe violent video games are bad mainly because of the fact that they are just video games so they are not real and that since violent video games have been made violent actions around the world have been reduced greatly. Violent video are actually good, they give us a way to get away from the stressful areas of reality and to just let loose in a fun game with friends. Also, in video games, we can do what we want whether it is or it is not violent and it does not have any consequences to reality when we do it. It is a also a way for us to get our violent thoughts and actions out so we don't have to act them out in person because in truth we all are violent creatures subconsciously, so video games is how we can let our primal instincts go.
thatnerdykid

Pro

Do you really trust OTHERS to not act upon what they see? I believe that your argument not well founded. They may just be video games but others perceive it as the morals their parents didn't teach them for SOME reason. I would like to call upon a game called Grand theft auto as my primary example. If you are familiar with this game, I am sure you know about the drugs, sex, guns, punching, kicking, burping, farting, stealing and shooting people because its funny. In recent studies by Karen E. Dill, Ph.D. & Craig A. Anderson, Ph.D., violent video games were considered to be more harmful in increasing aggression than violent movies or television shows due to their interactive and engrossing nature. Also, "violent video are actually BAD."
Faust52

Con

Faust52 forfeited this round.
thatnerdykid

Pro

Lets not count this round, you dont have a computer at home therefore your forefeit of the second round is not your fault, Voters please take this into account and do not deduct points from good ol' faust.
Faust52

Con

Although I do not doubt the fact that what you say is true, what you say only applies to the select few that are mentally unstable. Okay, so GTA is not the best game to put in front of a wanna be gangster who, in the IQ status (is not really stable to function in reality on their own). But with that said, violent video games are still good. Since they have come out, juvenile crime rates have significantly decreased, studies by Adam Thierer show that since video games have been made, crime rates decrease by 43.9%. Also, H.B. had also done research to see if what Dr. Ferguson's study said was true. And after conducting tests on others and himself, he not only noticed they were well more releived of the problems they were bothered by, but that their skills in the real world like map reading and problem solving were significantly higher. So, yea.....
thatnerdykid

Pro

The studies mentioned earlier were not on mentally unstable individuals.
Violent video games, while yes they can be in moderation, as you say a
"release" BUT your statement that juvenile crime rates have significantly
decreased is in fact false. Studies have shown that not only have they
increased, they are in fact more violent in nature. Juvenilles do not
understand that there are going to be consequences for their actions. I
ask is this in direct corelation to the teachings in the violent video
games that you can do what you want with no ill effects? Basically,
unsupervised adolescents that engage in violent video games are more at
risk to become offenders of violent crimes. Is that a society or future
leaders you would like to live with? I think not..
Vote Placed by WriterSelbe 5 years ago
WriterSelbe
Faust52thatnerdykidTied
Reasons for voting decision: While Pro told us not to take the forfeit into account, Pro was very courteous in his actions toward his opponent, thus I can only give him the conduct. Arguments for Pro I felt were stronger.