John95
BasicLogic

Are autonomous cars more trouble than they're worth?

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 5/16/2014 Category: Cars

John95

Pro

Autonomous cars are more trouble than they're worth. They would eliminate jobs and cause humanity to decline.
Rules:
1. 1st round is acceptance only
2. 2nd round is opening statements
3. 3rd round is rebuttal
4. 4th round is counter rebuttal
5a. 5th round is concluding statements
5b. No new arguments beyond the 3rd round.
6. No vulgarity.
7. Position must be validated.
8. You must answer within 24 hours.
9. If you will make an emotional appeal, back it up.
10. Enjoy and have fun!
BasicLogic

Con

I accept m@ey
John95

Pro

Thank you, Con. I will begin with the contention that many jobs will be eliminated by the advent of autonomous cars. According to many sources (unfortunately I don't have the time to list them all), autonomous cars would reduce the amount of accidents. A implied side effect of this would be less people needed for those jobs listed. This is unnecessary and should not happen. If I remember Obama's 1st Inaugural Address, he stated in it that we need to create jobs, not erase them.

Your turn.
BasicLogic

Con

So basically, you say there will be less accidents and thusfore, less jobs (Mechanic, tow truck).
However, Records indicate that there has been a total of 3,551,332 motor vehicle deaths in the United States from 1899 to 2012. 89 people die every day in car accidents. I do not believe a few millions dollars are worth that amount of lives. Come to think of it, more people alive = More people working . Unless you can argue that a bit of money = 89 lives a day, the argument is on my side. Automated cars will reduce accidents by a lot (if they are perfected)

I await your response

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov...
Wikipedia
John95

Pro

John95 forfeited this round.
BasicLogic

Con

Opponent forfeits, extend all arguments
John95

Pro

John95 forfeited this round.
John95

Pro

I apologize for my tardiness. I didn't realize that I started this on a Friday, so, shame on me. That said, yes, Con, but what about the jobs that deal with those accidents? We're talking at least some hospital workers, auto collision and repair specialists losing their jobs. I understand about the people who aren't in those fields, but what about the total cost?

I await your response.
BasicLogic

Con

Your whole argument is that the 89 humans killed every day is worth the jobs of doctors and car fixing guys.
However, car crashes only make up a small amount of hospital visits and no one will lose their job. Also, look at the thing I copy pasted below. http://www.nsc.org...

The calculable costs of motor-vehicle crashes are wage and productivity losses, medical expenses, administrative expenses, motor vehicle damage, and employers�€™ uninsured costs. (See the definitions on the reverse for a description of what is included in each component.) The costs of all these items for each death (not each fatal crash), injury (not each injury crash), and property damage crash were:

Average Economic Cost per Death, Injury, or Crash, 2012

Death $1,410,000
Nonfatal Disabling Injury $78,900
Property Damage Crash (including nondisabling injuries) $8,900
To estimate the costs of motor-vehicle crashes that occur while on the job, see �€""Costs of Other Injuries�€� below.

Expressed on a per death basis, the cost of all motor vehicle crashes i.e. fatal, nonfatal injury, and property damage was $7,600,000. This includes the cost of one death, 52 nonfatal disabling injuries, and 234 property damage crashes (including minor injuries). This average may be used to estimate the motor vehicle crash costs for a state provided that there are at least 10 deaths and only one or two occurred in each fatal crash. If fewer than 10 deaths, estimate the costs of deaths, nonfatal disabling injuries, and property damage crashes separately.

So 125million is lost in the deaths of these 89 people every day, not even including injury