m4j0rkus4n4g1
barbiesmiles

Are beauty pageants an acceptable part of today's society?

m4j0rkus4n4g1

Con

I will be arguing against beauty pageants, attempting to prove that they cause more harm than good for society in America.

Beauty pageants are, by nature, harmful, not only to society as a whole but to individuals who participate. Our society encourages hard work and skill over inborn qualities and inheritance, and yet beauty pageants typically favor those with cute faces, spare time, and lots of money. They are not constructive ratings of persons based on aspects which the individuals can cultivate or change; they are shallow assessments of "inner beauty" by rewarding those who meet the physical standards by nature of birthright, and decided by the status quo. It does not take long to find examples of individuals who succeed at pageantry but have little more to offer once the contest is over, and the potential for harm extends to the participants, who often suffer from anxiety and self-image issues, to the parents, supporters, and judges.

Pageants may be a feel-good aspect of society, left over from past times where they may have served a greater purpose. However, they have no place in today's society, where those with physical attractiveness have enough routes for success paved for them, and should not be encouraged to see their looks as legitimate contributions to society. The problems of today are too important to allow these frivolous wastes of time, money, and human potential to continue, and while we may never be rid of those who might view attractiveness as an indicator of "inner beauty", we need to move on as a society and stop giving attention to looks above other qualities.

I am looking for good counter arguments, as I have never been able to find good reason to accept pageants as anything more than I have described. I am open to alternate modes of thought, however, this is where I currently stand. Hope to see good debates out there on this issue!
barbiesmiles

Pro

I will be arguing against your opinion because I believe it does not harm society at all. Most of the girls that enter the competitions are in it for fun they are in it as a hobby or because they love modeling and I find it no offence but shallow of you to diss young girls that are in pageants. Not only that but most of the girls that are in the pageants are not just girls with a pretty face well they are pretty but trust me anyone looks pretty with make up anyway all of them are well educated and have a goal in mind and strive for more and by winning the pageant they get an open door to many opportunity"s. Even if the they don"t win the pageant they still went through and some get modeling contracts and other doors open to them. Yes they do rate the girls it"s a pageant but they also rate them by how well they answer the question. At end of most pageant (Miss USA, Miss Universe) the five runner ups are given a series of five questions to answers who ever answer the best wins the pageant. Not only that but most girls that join the pageant,they have a career or they are in school or they have a degree. They don"t just accept someone random pretty girl they accept pretty smart girls which is what I love about pageants. Take for instance former Miss Universe and former Miss USA Oliva Culpo. Her first ever pageant was miss Rhode Island in which she won and them moved on to Miss USA. And believe our not she was broke she was poor she didn't even buy her dress she rented it from a store and it was to small for her and had a whole.
m4j0rkus4n4g1

Con

Thank you for accepting the debate! I will now make my rebuttal. Burden of proof is on me to show that they are harmful.

Pageants value particular qualities and rate individuals based on the amount of these qualities each one shows. However, so far as I understand it, these qualities are more or less as follows: the physical attractiveness of the individual, the makeup, the fashion and clothing, one of several "talents" that the individual possesses, and charisma/speaking power. These qualities are good, perhaps, for achieving a kind of social acceptance, but they are not qualities that seem to contribute to society. Pageants cost money, from the sponsors and the participants, and I can think of many places in society that that money could go to aside from pageants. You claim that most girls do pageants for fun, but studies are popping up that show that girls and women who participate in beauty pageants are more likely to have body satisfaction issues, interpersonal distrust, and a lack of effectiveness outside of the pageantry, often reinforced by parents who may or may not have the best interests of their children at heart. Furthermore, regardless of how much fun individuals may have, or whether or not modeling jobs can arise out of pageantry, the trend of lower BMI is continuing among pageant participants, suggesting that a greater emphasis is being put on an unhealthy body figure that is not conducive to long-term health. I retain that not only are pageants designed in a way that is potentially detrimental to the participant, but that, even without these health problems, pageants encourage a kind of success that has little to no real-world application, and are thus a waste of time and money.

As to your statement about my dissing young girls, I do apologize if I came across as hateful. I'm currently dating a pageant participant so I must stress that I mean no disrespect. I am arguing from a stance of protecting participants and society from harmful behaviors.
barbiesmiles

Pro

barbiesmiles forfeited this round.
Posted by m4j0rkus4n4g1 2 years ago
m4j0rkus4n4g1
Citations for my arguments in round 2:
http://www.statisticbrain.com...

http://www.tandfonline.com...

I ran out of room, but wanted to show my citations. I will try to include them again in the end if I have room. My bad!